2 staffies graze on grass all the time

5 posters

Go down

2 staffies graze on grass all the time Empty 2 staffies graze on grass all the time

Post by mumadragon Sun Apr 21 2013, 12:33

Im wondering why my 2 staffies both every chance they get eat grass and throw up....its very annoying as they sometimes come inside then start dry retching until i get them back outside to vomit back up the grass. Can anyone tell me why? Is it a learned behaviour as my younger one has started doing it too like my 12 year old staffy.
mumadragon
mumadragon
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Separeted
Dogs Name(s) : Ella bella and roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and 11
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

2 staffies graze on grass all the time Empty Re: 2 staffies graze on grass all the time

Post by janey Sun Apr 21 2013, 12:49

Moo is the same, and I am not really sure why she does it. Its when I have to pull it out of the other end ............... Laughing
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

2 staffies graze on grass all the time Empty Re: 2 staffies graze on grass all the time

Post by Steve Sun Apr 21 2013, 12:51

you want to be careful of your dog eating grass becasue they can get bloat

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pag Sun Apr 21 2013, 12:52

It's meant as a self medication,, if they have a bit of a dicky tummy, Molly does it too, she snaffles loads of stuff at the lotty including my veggies .. she loves peas. I don't like pulling out the other end either..lol Don't worry about it.. it's not as bad as some of the things dogs will eat.. Surprised
pag
pag

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 12:53

janey wrote:

Moo is the same, and I am not really sure why she does it. Its when I have to pull it out of the other end ............... Laughing

Been there too, sick darcy likes to graze on grass sometimes Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 15:07

They eat it to help digestion, my girls do it too. Dried grass isn't good as it will ferment in their tummies Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 15:10

Tilly and Tommy both do it , have to pull it out of the other end on occasions buit its not as bad as it used to be , if they are literally grazing constantly on it as Steve says you can have problems from it so you need to use good distraction techniques , high value treats etc to try and kurb it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 15:12

My pooch does this too. He just tries makes himself puke if hes feeling a bit ikky after eating toy pieces Rolling Eyes It helps digestion as well.

Its normal Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 20:28

My boy loves grass too, but it has to be new young growth (not lawns, but the longer wild stuff). Personally I think that it is the ripping tearing experience he finds so satisfactory about it.

So far, no vomiting or pulling it out the other end, but I don't let him do it for very long either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 20:43

Steve wrote:you want to be careful of your dog eating grass becasue they can get bloat

You do have to be a little careful.

The odd mouthfull of grass doesn't present a problem, but if it's constant a) there's a reason & b) it could cause bloat, which is potentially fatal. Been there, done that, dog survived but only after emergency surgery!

Back to top Go down

Post by mumadragon Sun Apr 21 2013, 22:29

Ok thxs, i do have to distract them more often then as they do it first thing in the morning and verytime they see grass when we are walking...hence the vomiting during walking is very embarrassing and my little one is the worst..and i also have to help her out with the back problem as she scoots around the grass tryin to dislodge a long blade..yuk. Thxs this has been a great help
mumadragon
mumadragon

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Separeted
Dogs Name(s) : Ella bella and roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and 11

Back to top Go down

Post by KerryBlue Fri May 03 2013, 17:10

Kerry likes to graze on long, coarse grass at the edges of the park and the 'sticky' long weed but will also eat long grass from our lawn. We've had no adverse effects and thought the extra fibre might help with her often too soft stools.
My wife was so convinced that fibre was lacking in her diet (James Wellbelove fish & rice kibble plus some Chappie) that she is also adding some All-Bran breakfast cereal. I'll let you know what happens!

KerryBlue

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Kerry Blue
Dog(s) Ages : About 3

http://driverrob.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down