+5
janey
Rupertsbooks
Kathy
Mattylee
Gee
9 posters

Go down

Staffy on board / Staffordshire Bull Terrier lives here Empty Staffy on board / Staffordshire Bull Terrier lives here

Post by Gee Wed Apr 17 2013, 09:44

Does anyone have any of these beware of the staffie signs or staffy on board in their car?

I am reluctant to use these items as I do not want to attract dog thieves. What about yourselves?

Gee
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Staffy on board / Staffordshire Bull Terrier lives here Empty Re: Staffy on board / Staffordshire Bull Terrier lives here

Post by Mattylee Wed Apr 17 2013, 09:49

No, totally agree with u. Invitation IMO. Smile
Mattylee
Mattylee

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 15/12/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Staffy on board / Staffordshire Bull Terrier lives here Empty Re: Staffy on board / Staffordshire Bull Terrier lives here

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 09:49

I have two EBT silhouette stickers, but they're quite unobtrusive. Mind you, our car is parked off the beaten track in a private service alley so nobody sees it, and we never leave Dempsey in the car on his own (he'd eat the car!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Apr 17 2013, 09:51

I have a 'beware of the dog' sign at home, but it is not breed specific.

I am proud to own a Staffy and would love to have 'Staffy on board' and the like, but it is a shame I feel I can't do this because of scum we share the planet with.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Apr 17 2013, 09:56

I would tend to agree with you and not advertise the fact a dog was present, it's an invitation for thieves. A Staffy would just lick them to death anyway.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattylee Wed Apr 17 2013, 09:59

I was gonna get one a few weeks ago, but then we had the big rumour mill of vans going around and stickers on fences etc so thought against it.
Mattylee
Mattylee

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 15/12/12
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Wed Apr 17 2013, 09:59

Yeah. Anyone not familiar with the breed are usually intimidated by the way theY look (big head and muscular) but anyone that knows the score would probably just kick ya down down, pat your Staffy on the head and walk out with your TV Big Grin

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 10:39

I have a "Staffy lives here" one on my gate but I have thought about taking it down because tbf it is an invitation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Wed Apr 17 2013, 11:37

I have Doberman Lives Here although I don't have a Doberman. My thinking (maybe insane) is that they will see my Staffy and think there's another dog in the house which will distract anyone uninvited from coming in.

Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 14:25

I just have a 'Caution - Dogs running free' sign on the gates at the end of the drive, although I live in the middle of nowhere so there's no real need for a deterrent as nobody ever comes up here Laughing TBH, I look far more intimidating than Milton anyway haha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 14:28

We've got a beware of the dog sign on the gate , and a picture of a Tilly looky like in the front window "My Staffordshire Bull Terrier lives here"

But we don't leave them out unattended in the garden and on the odd occasions when nobody is home the dogs are locked away in the house watching TV

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 15:04

I don't have one, just never seen the point, but the unwanted advertising is another good point.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Apr 17 2013, 17:10

Agree with Tara Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Wed Apr 17 2013, 18:25

'Beware of the dog' signs are bad news, in the eyes of the law signs with 'beware' or something is like announcing you have a guard/aggressive dog!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 20:15

StuW wrote:'Beware of the dog' signs are bad news, in the eyes of the law signs with 'beware' or something is like announcing you have a guard/aggressive dog!

This goes back to when my wife was a Childminder she was told by an advisor with the new legislations she had to do this and also do risk assessments for the kids with the dogs to satisfy Ofsted (just dogs in general not staffords) , this was shortly before she stopped doing it because the paperwork qualifications are far more valuable than the parental experience

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17 2013, 20:48

Nope, I also don't really agree with the "Beware of the dog" signs on your house either! That's just my opinion, I don't mind so much the cute ones but I think as others said it's advertising your dog ect - especially with all these dog thefts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18 2013, 02:07

No I don't even have an I Love Staffy sticker on my car or anything.. It's a sad fact that these lowlife thieves would target homes with these types of signs Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Thu Apr 18 2013, 08:29

I have a beware of the dog sign as a deterrent to thieves. I would assume a thief is unlikely to rob a house in the early hours. Maybe not because they are scare of dogs, but because they may bark and alert the sleeping home owners.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Thu Apr 18 2013, 12:33

It also depends on where you live. My sister lives in America in a populated by very green and hilly area where homicide rate is much higher (there was a guy shot dead on her street not long ago - and she lives in a really nice neighbourhood). She has a tiny dog that makes a lot of noise (barking). When she is alone in her house at night she is sometimes frightened because she would be defenceless against a break in - esp if said person had a gun. I think beware of the dog sign does make a burglar think twice. But of course my sister is dealing with a whole different set of circumstances. Dog theft in her area is, for instance, unheard of.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Thu Apr 18 2013, 12:36

Staffy on Board sign is generally a way of communicating how much your like Staffies, though. I am considering buying a Staffy mug! However advertising Staffy presence may give unpleasant people unpleasant ideas about dog theft. Do other breeds get stolen very often too? And how prevalent is Staffy theft? Has it been exaggerated by the media or does it happen very often? I am sure these people sometimes also go to rescue centres posing as responsible owners?
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs McFisher Thu Apr 18 2013, 14:24

I don't have anything neither. Im scared to death of someone pinching her. I live in a not very good area, and have now put an extra lock on the gate for when we are in, so she can be in the garden and someone can't just open the gate and take her - they cant reach the 2nd lock.
I just think they will only want her for bad stuff, not because they want a pet dog.
Mrs McFisher
Mrs McFisher
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Staffy on board / Staffordshire Bull Terrier lives here Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louby
Dog(s) Ages : 6th May 2012
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by barnesation Thu Apr 18 2013, 20:58

Interestingly, we were discussing this the other day.

When my husband went away last year for a few days, I didn't like the idea of being home alone.

We have a 'Dogs running loose. Dogs will bite' sign on the gate. Not because they ever would, but perhaps if a burgular saw that it might put him off, especially if he can see the dogs that go with the 'will bite' sign!
barnesation
barnesation
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Ashton & Ruby
Dog(s) Ages : 5 & 4
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 0

https://www.facebook.com/barnesation

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu Apr 18 2013, 21:10

Marley sits in the window watching the world go by so dont need a sign to suggest dogs live there. Thankfully re theives they get excited when someone come up the drive and start playing with each other and that sound is enough to put anyone off even though they would be perfectly safe
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down