hip dysplasia

4 posters

Go down

hip dysplasia Empty hip dysplasia

Post by PinkLunaLady Sun Apr 14 2013, 21:30

Hi,
This is my girl Luna, she will be 4 years old in June
She got diagnosed with hip dysplasia and twisted knees last year.
At the moment she has been getting a needle every 3 months to help with it, and we have pain killers for her.
Does anybody have any advice that can help my girl?

hip dysplasia 2012_06180043b_zps564adc28

Last edited by PinkLunaLady on Mon Apr 15 2013, 11:26; edited 1 time in total
PinkLunaLady
PinkLunaLady
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

hip dysplasia Empty Re: hip dysplasia

Post by Sazzle Sun Apr 14 2013, 21:44

Hiya, I'm afraid I don't have any experience with this but I'm sure some one will Smile

I can't see the picture, this may help when posting photo's

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12017-how-to-post-a-photos-onto-the-forum
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Apr 14 2013, 21:56

You could consider an op to help, other wise hydrotherapy is good to aid it Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 00:19

How bad are the hips and knees? Hip replacements in dogs is pretty straightforward nowadays, so are operations to correct the patella, but they're very expensive. Do you have insurance?

Back to top Go down

Post by PinkLunaLady Mon Apr 15 2013, 11:38

Hi everybody,
Thanks for the responses.
Our vet has said that she will need both hips and both knees replaced in time, but it will be too much stress on her.
Also, he has seen dogs get the needed ops, but some of them are never the same.
Like any op, there are always risks.
As first time dog owners, we were not aware of pet insurance and how important it is. Due to it now being an existing it is not covered.
We take one day at a time, not looking forward to winter as the vet has informed us that Luna's bad days may become more often, and we will need to get her injection every month.
It just kills me to know she will go through this, and when she gives the eyes that just feels like she is screaming "I love you mum, please don't give up on me"

This is Luna on a good day

hip dysplasia 347cf2eb-d3a9-4cca-80e8-ed7f523d4cfa_zps60b869a0
PinkLunaLady
PinkLunaLady

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Apr 15 2013, 11:41

There are things you can do to help but ultimately it does sound like the op will be needed at some point. Yumove, Aloe Vera Gel, Hydrotherapy etc can all help >Big Grin<
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Apr 15 2013, 12:16

Hip Dysplasia/ Knee twist in dogs, my hubby put this together for you he is a sports therapist (For Humans) but the principles are the same.

Depending on how the hips were affected, there are some physiotherapy techniques which may help.
Arthritis is often associated with hip dysplasia, and this can be a problem if it is not seen early, but the usual things prescribed for humans can help her - ginger, garlic, peppers, basically anything that has an anti-inflammatory effect, and encourages blood circulation.

Do check that there are no problems with garlic - some vets get scared of it with regards to dogs, but food with a touch of garlic (the sort of stuff you would eat) tends to go down a treat.
Hydrotherapy certainly helps with mobility, but every day physio work would involve finding how the knee and hip are affected.

For example, if the hip dysplasia caused a deformation in the femur, which led to the knee twisting (I have this myself) then assess which way the knee is rotating - it is usually the case that the distal (further away from the body) end of the femur is internally rotated - you will often see this written as the HIP being externally rotated - it is confusing!) If the distal femur is internally rotated, the patella will tend to displace laterally (off to the outside) and exercise to strengthen the medial (closer to the centre-line of the body) muscles.

IN a dog this is awkward, but getting the dog to sit, then half-stand (reaching up for
treats) will strengthen the thigh muscles, but do NOT have her stretch all the way up, and only do 5 at a time.
E.G. Put her in the sitting position.

Hold a treat on your mid-thigh, and have her reach up to it (give it to her), if she can reach this without too much pain, only just lifting her front feet off the floor, continue. Make sure you are straight on (not to one side) when you do this.

IF the problems were opposite, you could try the same exercise, but move the treat to the side on which she is injured (if her left leg is bad, move the treat to her left) slightly so the lateral thigh muscles fire first.
Walking on soft ground, especially sand is great exercise - it doesn't stress the joints, but the muscles have to work well.

Take a video of her walking and running to and from you - this will give you an idea of how the muscles are being used.
If she were human, we'd have her walking across some talcum powder, or just check the soles of her shoes, but unfortunately dogs are trickier.

I hope this helps. Hydrotherapy would also be good as the water takes the stress not the body. Please let us know how you get on with things.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by PinkLunaLady Mon Apr 15 2013, 21:24

Hi Kathy,
Thankyou for the information, and thankyou to your Hubby.

I have printed out the info and will go through it.

Thankyou so much Big Grin
PinkLunaLady
PinkLunaLady

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down