skin/collar advice

3 posters

Go down

skin/collar advice Empty skin/collar advice

Post by gemlou Thu Apr 11 2013, 18:09

Hi all,

My staffy is still quite young, about 20 months and I am struggling to find a collar. I know it sounds simple, but everything I have tried on him rubs his neck raw. I have spoken to my vet, but he says there are no underlying health issues.

I have tried him on different materials and padded collars but to no avail. I have tried to avoid getting him a chunky leather collar, as he is quite a big boy and we live in an area of Birmingham where dogs are often seen as a status symbol (I have had gangs of youths come up to me in the street and offer me money, and on the other side I have had people cross the road away from him in fear).

I have had to take his collar off when in the house as it is so sore I am worried it will become infected, aswell as the discomfort to my dog.

Could I be missing something health wise or if anyone has any suggestions for a collar, much appreciated. The same applies to harnesses, when the snow was about we put a coat on him, and even that started to rub around the legs after just a couple of walks. He seems to be very sensitive. I have never had such a short haired dog before so it is not something I have ever had to consider.

thanks for any suggestions.
gemlou
gemlou
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Casper & Alfie
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

skin/collar advice Empty Re: skin/collar advice

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 18:16

I firstly let my boys go naked in the house so the skin and fur gets a rest form wearing a collar

On their collar i either have large 2" wide collars that spread the load should i say which i love or i use half check collars so they hang loosely so don't rub

the wide collar
skin/collar advice 523455_10152090676950611_1940940232_n
half check
skin/collar advice 524078_10152365810865611_1995092389_n

see how loosely it sits

What sort of collars have you tried as there are loads of different ones

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Thu Apr 11 2013, 18:21

I have a fleece half check which doesn't rub or irritate.

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
skin/collar advice Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 18:22

I use an extra wide collar. It's an Ezydog one, very light yet very strong.

It also seems to soften up their image I find, opposed to a leather or studded collar. Logan is quite big too.

You should always take the collar off inside anyways. So don't worry about that. Smile

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EzyDog-Wide-Boy-Extra-Wide-Dog-Collar-FREE-POSTAGE-/380211385413

Back to top Go down

Post by gemlou Thu Apr 11 2013, 19:32

Thanks for all those quick replies, Ella can I ask what make your collars are, as they look promising. I will seriously consider a fleece collar too.

We currently have 2 ancol collars, one quarter check (but it has some chunky adjustable plastic bits, that really rub), the other is a simple inch wide collar that I bought as it was really flexible and thought it might irritate less (no such luck), and a padded nylyon collar by Wainwrights but it doesn't seem to have made any difference, which was just a bigger version of what he wore as a puppy with seemingly no problem. But he grew so quickly he probably didn't wear it long enough to make a differance.

gemlou
gemlou

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Casper & Alfie
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 19:43

gemlou wrote:Thanks for all those quick replies, Ella can I ask what make your collars are, as they look promising. I will seriously consider a fleece collar too.

We currently have 2 ancol collars, one quarter check (but it has some chunky adjustable plastic bits, that really rub), the other is a simple inch wide collar that I bought as it was really flexible and thought it might irritate less (no such luck), and a padded nylyon collar by Wainwrights but it doesn't seem to have made any difference, which was just a bigger version of what he wore as a puppy with seemingly no problem. But he grew so quickly he probably didn't wear it long enough to make a differance.

of course:

The 2" collar is made by strongstuff dog collars, have a google as not allowed to link to them

The half check is made by indi dog and she makes loads of different ones http://www.indi-dog.co.uk/ she's on maternity leave for a little bit but should be back by the end of the month

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 19:44

oh indi dog also make fleece lined ones which are really good too Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Apr 11 2013, 19:50

We have been through a number of collars for Rocky as he had the same problem. We now have the EzyDog Neo collar in black which is a wide fitting one but looks very comfortable for him. We also leave it off while he is in the home:

skin/collar advice NEO_COLLAR_BLACK_LR__86916.1363084550.390.390
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 20:01

Whichever collar you choose, make sure that you remove it indoors. That way you get the comfort & control outside, but your dog gets the freedom & comfort of no collar inside.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down