+3
rob hammond
racamoe
Sazzle
7 posters

Go down

For those who use shock collars Empty For those who use shock collars

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 21:39

I think this may be of interest. Just food for thought - try it on yourself before you subject your dog to it. Also take into account that the reaction shown in the video is likely to be worse with a dog, who is not expecting it and does not understand pain as humans do. The dog quite likely would also be shocked more than once. The reason I've put this up here is because I hear so often people saying "It's okay - I'm only using a low level of shock". Low in comparison to the highest level, obviously, but it's still a shock, so I think owners should know exactly what it does. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leOjBPjftjc

Bear in mind that by the time it gets to level 3, the man admitted that it hurt. Wink

Now, I'm sure some people will disagree with me on this subject and say that they would never subject their dog to any level of shock that they themselves would not be prepared to take. But what I wish people would remember is that your dog cannot tell you how much pain or discomfort it can take, and how repeated shocking can cause injuries, even on a low setting. Examples of such injuries (links only, as some of the pics may be disturbing):

http://www.dogbreedstraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Dogs-Injury-from-Shock-Collar.jpg
http://www.lawandorder4k9s.com/uploads/1/7/2/2/17225868/1492292_orig.jpg

And that's just the visible injuries from prolonged use. The neck is one of the most vulnerable areas of a dogs' body - both physically and mentally. Not only could using shocks repeatedly cause psychological issues with the dog such as nervousness, anxiety and even fear-aggression - it can also damage the nervous system. The spinal cord and thyroid gland are both found by the neck. If the impulses running through the spinal cord are disturbed, huge consequences can ensue.

The same goes for prong collars, actually. Thydroid problems are becoming increasingly more prevalent in strong 'puller' dogs such as bully breeds, german shepherds and labradors. A huge contributing factor is due to the fact that each time the collar digs into or shocks, depending on the collar, the neck of a pulling dog, it can cause inflammation of the thyroid gland. This can cause the body's immune system to destroy the gland in an attempt to get rid of the inflamed tissue.

Back to top Go down

For those who use shock collars Empty Re: For those who use shock collars

Post by Sazzle Tue Apr 02 2013, 21:46

Thanks for the info, I've heard of them but didn't really know much about it. It is not something I would ever consider, there are far better ways to train!!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 21:46

angry angry

I hate them, I hate them, I hate them!!!!!

Anybody who uses one of those on a dog needs to have one strapped round their neck for a month with maximum shock every 30 seconds! angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 21:47

I think they are totally unnecessary and cruel. I see people using them on dogs from time to time. I am unsure of the law regarding them over here. They tend to be small dogs like yorkies/shih tzu's too.

I am in no ways a dog trainer and can only really do the basics but I could always handle my dogs without having to shock them.

I think some people find it ok because it's a very un-physical thing (compared to hitting the dog for example) so it doesn't look as bad in public, and requires little to no effort from the owner.

It shouldn't be allowed though at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Apr 02 2013, 21:48

Caryll - agreed!
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 21:48

Sazzle wrote:Thanks for the info, I've heard of them but didn't really know much about it. It is not something I would ever consider, there are far better ways to train!!

thumbs up Just wanted to make sure that people are aware of how much damage these products can do.

Caryll wrote: angry angry

I hate them, I hate them, I hate them!!!!!

Anybody who uses one of those on a dog needs to have one strapped round their neck for a month with maximum shock every 30 seconds! angry

Not particularly fond of them either!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 21:49

great post! thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 21:50

MatLogan wrote:I think they are totally unnecessary and cruel. I see people using them on dogs from time to time. I am unsure of the law regarding them over here. They tend to be small dogs like yorkies/shih tzu's too.

I am in no ways a dog trainer and can only really do the basics but I could always handle my dogs without having to shock them.

I think some people find it ok because it's a very un-physical thing (compared to hitting the dog for example) so it doesn't look as bad in public, and requires little to no effort from the owner.

It shouldn't be allowed though at all.

It's a shame that people like to fool themselves into believing that it's just 'a mild shock'. Although I think ignorance is a big part of it. They just assume that, because some professionals (not naming names, though I'm sure people will guess who I'm referring to!) use them, it makes it alright.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 21:50

ella wrote:great post! thumbs up

Thanks! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 21:57

I've nothing against vibrating collars being used with deaf dogs - as long as it's just vibration that's used.

But shock collars? Absolutely not!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 21:58

Often could the benefits see of strspping one to the wife's neck , but one of my babies ???? never angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 21:59

I actually think vibration collars are a good idea, particularly for dogs partially or completely deaf. Vibrations are a way to gain attention - not to discipline the dog! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 22:02

Dave wrote:Often could the benefits see of strspping one to the wife's neck , but one of my babies ???? never angry

I think your wife's probably dreamed of doing the same to you, Dave - just be careful if you see a package arrive and she won't tell you what's in it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02 2013, 22:20

surprise Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 03:27

I could hardly understand what he was saying. Was he testing it out on himself and then saying they're good products to use? That's weird. Horrible though Sad I'd never use them anyway, they're completely unnecessary. I feel like techniques like that are for lazy people, because scaring a dog into obedience is much easier than using positive reinforcement with a stubborn, young dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03 2013, 10:04

Tara wrote:I could hardly understand what he was saying. Was he testing it out on himself and then saying they're good products to use?

No, it had been recommended for him to use on his dog, but he wanted to test it on himself first. He decided it hurt too much!

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Wed Apr 03 2013, 10:54

Sound horrible !! Wouldn't dream of using one Sad
racamoe
racamoe
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 07 2013, 23:00

Caryll wrote:I've nothing against vibrating collars being used with deaf dogs - as long as it's just vibration that's used.

A vibration collar is what my trainer used with Blue to see if he is dog aggressive off lead less or more. We found he is only DG on lead. Blue did put his head down and dart towards one male dog like he was about to attack. The trainer said Leave! and pressed it. Snapped Blue straight out of it. In fact he spent the next 5 mins looking at the floor thinking it was that that vibrated Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 08 2013, 01:32

I admire this guy for testing the shock collar around his own neck, he could verbalise what a dog can't as to how much it hurt.

I don't know how much it compares to the shock from a collar, but I'm reminded of the static shock I get when stepping out of my car on a hot dry day and then touching the car (like closing the door). Does it sting me and give me an unwelcome surprise? Yes. Would I prefer to avoid this experience in future? Yes. Next time (repeat ad infinitum) I step out of my car on a hot dry day will I remember my "lesson" and avoid getting shocked? No. Because I am going about my human business with a dozen things going through my mind, like a dog is going about his doggy business with so much stimulation through scents, sounds, sights bombarding him. If I, with my "superior" human intellect can't remember cause and effect whilst so much is going on around me and occupying my mind, how can a dog?

Simplistic I know, but the best way I personally can draw a parallel.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 08 2013, 09:33

Very good point, Lynda.

Back to top Go down

Post by rob hammond Mon Jul 08 2013, 11:54

Horrible devices for lazy dog owners. I am sure that a human body could better cope with repeated shocks . These and prong collars should be banned. I also noticed the other day a new type of prong collar that hides the prongs so the owner gets no grief from others.... thats disgusting.... here is the link https://onestopcollarshop.com/shop/pretty-prong-collar/
rob hammond
rob hammond
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy and Amy
Dog(s) Ages : 14 and 7
Dog Gender(s) : both female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 08 2013, 11:56

Good grief - if they feel they need to hide it then they must know it's not acceptable!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Mon Jul 08 2013, 12:58

Oh that's horrible Sad Great post Eleanor, really good info!
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 08 2013, 19:47

Words fail me (for once). A Pretty Prong Collar? "Most dogs wear prong collars because they are always ready to play and have more fun than a setting allows. " ???????

If I ruled the world they would be banned this minute.

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 08 2013, 20:06

Lynda wrote:Words fail me (for once).  A Pretty Prong Collar?    "Most dogs wear prong collars because they are always ready to play and have more fun than a setting allows. "  ???????

If I ruled the world they would be banned this minute.

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry 

Just say the word & you'll have my vote!angry angry angry 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 08 2013, 20:32

Why aren't they banned already, without waiting for me to become world leader?

It was the wording of the Pretty Prong advertisement that made me see red - bad enough that hooks should be shot into a dog's neck and he being dragged about by them, but because "they are always ready to play and have more fun ? I dont want to s 

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Tue Jul 09 2013, 18:29

I would never ever consider one of these cruel collars, dogs are totally at our mercy they never have the brain more that of a three year old child apparently, would anyone do this to a small child ?, these collars disgust me .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Jul 10 2013, 12:50

Caryll wrote:I've nothing against vibrating collars being used with deaf dogs - as long as it's just vibration that's used.

I am on this one, virbration is gentle and would help with deaf dogs. shock collars, angry  no way! Whoever designed them should be shot!
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Jul 10 2013, 16:38

I'm not going to get into it, the last thread I chipped into got locked RE: prong collars/shock collars!! But I have to say I HATE THEM!!!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com