knee cap problems

2 posters

Go down

knee cap problems Empty knee cap problems

Post by RubyRoo Thu Jan 24 2013, 16:16

ruby is now just coming up to 11months old, and the past week or 2 shes been on and off limping. she will be running around normally, then all of a sudden stop using one of her back legs, then within a few steps be back to normal. my guess was luxating patella after looking it up this morning as its happened 4 times now. ive noticed it happening more often and just now she did it while running after a ball in the house, but she didnt do her usual stick it out behind her to make it work again she just carried on running around on 3 legs until i stopped her. i moved her leg backwards like she does but it didnt help, so i felt her knee area and with a very gentle squeeze i felt a lump on the outside of her knee pop back into place (figuring this was her knee cap) she didnt care one little bit and as soon as i let go off she ran for her ball again. she honestly doesnt seem to even notice its happening/happened, to me it looks painful, but all shes bothered about is running off playing again. im figuring that as shes showing this so young, that it will cause joint issues later in life? she is insured, would we need to get her operated on and does it mean her insurance will pay out to fix her? we have never had insurance on a pet before so not entirely sure what to do.
RubyRoo
RubyRoo
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog(s) Ages : Born 26/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

knee cap problems Empty Re: knee cap problems

Post by janey Thu Jan 24 2013, 16:38

First thing is a trip to the vets and x-rays. Yes the insurance will cover it to the amount that you have but there will be an excess. Sometimes you have to pay up front and then claim it back, sometimes the vets will do a direct claim, discuss it when you take her Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24 2013, 16:44

As Janey says, the insurance will (or should) cover it. Luxating Patella is becoming more frequent in staffords, unfortunately, but if it's only one 'knee' then a simple operation will correct it - crate rest after the operation for a while, though. Sad

If it is her patella, then you should never breed from her (not saying you were going to!) as it is hereditary.

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyRoo Thu Jan 24 2013, 16:51

thats what i was thinking, will dig out the paperwork this evening and have a read through it all. so nervous for her. before we got ruby we had a rescue rottie and we lost her due to a bungled op on her knees and then torn cruciates which couldnt be operated on due to the bungled op and bad arthritis. i want to nip rubys problems in the bud so to speak so she will never go through what our rescue girl was put through before we got her. always comes at the worst possible times too doesnt it, give it 8 weeks we will have the spare money to get her sorted and not worry about it. bless her, i hope its an easy-ish fix Sad

so far it only seems to affect one back leg, as shes looking at me its her right one, so her left back leg. going to have to keep tabs on it though as im now paranoid its been both...though i could just be overthinking it.

as for breeding her, not a chance, shes getting spayed after her 2nd season (bad timing for having her done before her 2nd season comes along or she would already be booked in), too many unwanted dogs in the world as it is, let alone too many staffs and staff mixes. if she got caught id have her to the vets on the same day Laughing

the crate rest should be fine, shes not a bouncy hectic mental dog unless out on a walk or if a tennis ball happens to dare show itself in her presence Laughing and she was crate trained as a pup, we had to wean her off it, we still have it in the shed so it can come back into use.

thank you for the replies Smile
RubyRoo
RubyRoo

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog(s) Ages : Born 26/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24 2013, 16:55

An x-ray will show what level of luxation is present, and they'll probably do both knees to make sure.

As long as you've got a good vet that you trust, the op's a fairly easy one nowadays, and recovery is pretty quick as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down