Really frustrating...

2 posters

Go down

Really frustrating... Empty Really frustrating...

Post by hollymolly Tue Jan 22 2013, 16:29

As you will see from the pics below.. Sky is still suffering with a skin issue on her back, as of today she has been on Advocate (just started her 2nd packet and giving her them fortnightly) as the vets thought it might be Mange coming back (due to her having 2 ops so soon near each other and maybe her immune system was abit low).. I know they said it gets worse before it gets better but am not really seeing any improvement at all, i even added ACV to their food to help with the itching and prevention of flea's but now that isn't working very well now as the itchy feelings she gets are back so she's back on Piriton aswell.. she flips herself over onto her back on the rug as thought to try an itch herself and iv'e tried Ermidra Spray (a rehydrating spray for their skin) an Aloe Vera to try an soothe her skin..
She has NatureDiet (lamb or rabbit & turkey) with Skinners duck & rice kibble for breakfast and Lily's Kitchen Tinned (venison & rabbit) with the Skinners for tea with an Omega 3 capsule... I am wondering wether its an allergy to something like dust mites as she is a sneezy dog .. Check the pics out take today..
Really frustrating... 2013-01-22144347
Really frustrating... 2013-01-22144433
Hopefully you can see from this pic that bits of skin look abit like craddle cap (mothers will know what i mean..) It looks like similar to dandruff but its got a brown tint to it..
Really frustrating... 2013-01-22144519
Really frustrating... 2013-01-22144539

Any advice or help would be greafully accepted Wink
hollymolly
hollymolly
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Inca & Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs old & 2 yrs old ...
Dog Gender(s) : Both Females..
Support total : 84

Back to top Go down

Really frustrating... Empty Re: Really frustrating...

Post by Guest Tue Jan 22 2013, 16:47

I dont know much about it but my breeder had problem with her bitch, skin problems and they stopped giving her the kibble may help perhaps. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jan 22 2013, 16:52

Oh Sue, sorry its coming back, I haven't a clue what to suggest. Did the vets do another scrape to see if it was anything?
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 22 2013, 16:52

Oh and Vinnie had real scratchy skin until the vet recommended high Gamma linolenic acid GLA called "VIACUTAN PLUS" which I now buy from E Bay or Amazon as it is cheaper. It has greatly improved his coat and we dont have hardly any scratching either. Again hope this may be of some help. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by hollymolly Tue Jan 22 2013, 18:06

janey wrote:

Oh Sue, sorry its coming back, I haven't a clue what to suggest. Did the vets do another scrape to see if it was anything?

No they dint do another scrape they just said try the Advocate to see if it improves at all but am thinking am gunna have to take her back again but i sometimes feel there just guessing at what it could be.. I dont know what would be a better way to go.. get another scrape done or get some bloods done to rule out any allergys...

So frustrating sometimes ..x
hollymolly
hollymolly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by hollymolly Tue Jan 22 2013, 18:10

inez maria wrote:Oh and Vinnie had real scratchy skin until the vet recommended high Gamma linolenic acid GLA called "VIACUTAN PLUS" which I now buy from E Bay or Amazon as it is cheaper. It has greatly improved his coat and we dont have hardly any scratching either. Again hope this may be of some help. Smile

Thanks inez for the advice... Did vinnie also have thinning fur anywhere or was he just itchy.. Wink
hollymolly
hollymolly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jan 22 2013, 18:17

hollymolly wrote:
janey wrote:

No they dint do another scrape they just said try the Advocate to see if it improves at all but am thinking am gunna have to take her back again but i sometimes feel there just guessing at what it could be.. I dont know what would be a better way to go.. get another scrape done or get some bloods done to rule out any allergys...

Yes it is, but you'll get there, again Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by hollymolly Tue Jan 22 2013, 18:28

janey wrote:
hollymolly wrote:
janey wrote:

Yes it is, but you'll get there, again Xx

Haha i like your opitimism Janey !!! ... Do you think i should skip the kibble an just give her moist food like the NatureDiet & Lily's Kitchen ???? xx
hollymolly
hollymolly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jan 22 2013, 18:36

When I had probs with my first, and since Moo both vets had me on royal canin veterinary controlled diet, chicken and rice. Its also used as a recovery pack when dogs need it for a few days.

All I can say is it really worked for me, not as a full time thing but gave me time to find a balance Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 22 2013, 18:46

sorry you're having problems again Sad big >Big Grin< for Sky from the kids

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 22 2013, 18:59

hollymolly wrote:
inez maria wrote:Oh and Vinnie had real scratchy skin until the vet recommended high Gamma linolenic acid GLA called "VIACUTAN PLUS" which I now buy from E Bay or Amazon as it is cheaper. It has greatly improved his coat and we dont have hardly any scratching either. Again hope this may be of some help. Smile

Thanks inez for the advice... Did vinnie also have thinning fur anywhere or was he just itchy.. Wink
Yes Vinnie had bad bald patches mainly around the head area. The vet that suggested the GLA had staffs herself. She said it would help and it certainly has, his coat is beautiful now. He also has VetVits glossy coat omega,aswell which has not only fish oil but Vitamin E and Zinc also. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by hollymolly Tue Jan 22 2013, 19:33

inez maria wrote:
hollymolly wrote:

Yes Vinnie had bad bald patches mainly around the head area. The vet that suggested the GLA had staffs herself. She said it would help and it certainly has, his coat is beautiful now. He also has VetVits glossy coat omega,aswell which has not only fish oil but Vitamin E and Zinc also. Smile

Thanks again inez i am seriously gunna look into that Viacutan Plus & i nearly bought that VetVits glossy coat stuff a while ago .... Maybe me thinks i need to look into it again x
hollymolly
hollymolly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by hollymolly Tue Jan 22 2013, 19:34

janey wrote:

When I had probs with my first, and since Moo both vets had me on royal canin veterinary controlled diet, chicken and rice. Its also used as a recovery pack when dogs need it for a few days.

All I can say is it really worked for me, not as a full time thing but gave me time to find a balance Xx

Cheers Janey i will ask about the Royal Canin stuff if i end up back at the vets with her xx
hollymolly
hollymolly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 22 2013, 19:53

hollymolly wrote:
janey wrote:

Cheers Janey i will ask about the Royal Canin stuff if i end up back at the vets with her xx
Yes Sue I also had a bag of the Royal Canin hypoallergenic, but I never gave it him as a full diet which she suggested as that was all he was allowed. So I changed His diet to oven baked Wholemeal biscuits and nature diet Lamb and Turkey and Rabbit, along with the oils and just used the Royal Canin for treats. It worked for me anyway. If you do try the Viacutan vet told me 4 squirts to start with on his food,which I did for 6 to 8 weeks, He now has 2 squirts on his evening meal but I do increase it if he gets a bit scratchy. Hope all this maybe of help Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by hollymolly Tue Jan 22 2013, 20:06

inez maria wrote:
hollymolly wrote:
janey wrote:

Yes Sue I also had a bag of the Royal Canin hypoallergenic, but I never gave it him as a full diet which she suggested as that was all he was allowed. So I changed His diet to oven baked Wholemeal biscuits and nature diet Lamb and Turkey and Rabbit, along with the oils and just used the Royal Canin for treats. It worked for me anyway. If you do try the Viacutan vet told me 4 squirts to start with on his food,which I did for 6 to 8 weeks, He now has 2 squirts on his evening meal but I do increase it if he gets a bit scratchy. Hope all this maybe of help Smile

Right inez... I think youv'e persuaded me to try that Viacutan an i'll do the 4 squirts for 6 to 8 squirts like you say ... where did you get the oven baked wholemeal bics from ? x
hollymolly
hollymolly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 22 2013, 20:13

hollymolly wrote:
inez maria wrote:
hollymolly wrote:
janey wrote:

I get the biscuits from my local pet store, but I do know there is a company that do them, but cant remember the name. They are a wholemeal terrier mixer biscuit. I could find out the company and let you know as your local store would probably be able to order for you. So glad i have been some help Big Grin

Right inez... I think youv'e persuaded me to try that Viacutan an i'll do the 4 squirts for 6 to 8 squirts like you say ... where did you get the oven baked wholemeal bics from ? x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down