ABOUT TO INTORDUCE A SECOND STAFFIE TO OUR PACK, MAD OR GLAD

4 posters

Go down

ABOUT TO INTORDUCE A SECOND STAFFIE TO OUR PACK, MAD OR GLAD Empty ABOUT TO INTORDUCE A SECOND STAFFIE TO OUR PACK, MAD OR GLAD

Post by CHEZWALES Thu Feb 03 2011, 22:09

As a family we already own a staffie x russell. Pippa was an RSPCA rescue dog and we have had her from the age of 2. She is 5 now and an amazing part of our home, after the initial teething problems of finding her place in the pack we couldnt ask for a friendlier more loving animal. Hence we would like to give another staffie from the same rescue centre a home.
We have already met Sassy who is a 6yr girl, yesterday we introduced them both, they were fine even if they tended to ignore each other and today we introduced a long walk for them both. It was great, although after the intital bum sniffing they tended to ignore each other again. We walked them on leads right next to each other, and they were good. Off the lead in a neutral garden again they were great.
Here is my issue...so many people have told us we are mad for putting two staffies together. Are they right. The RSPCA are happy with both of them, but would like the advice of staffie owners who have experienced this.
So should i go ahead and try them as a family pack or stay well away....

CHEZWALES
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

ABOUT TO INTORDUCE A SECOND STAFFIE TO OUR PACK, MAD OR GLAD Empty Re: ABOUT TO INTORDUCE A SECOND STAFFIE TO OUR PACK, MAD OR GLAD

Post by Steve Thu Feb 03 2011, 22:21

i cant see a problem if they both fine with other dogs, maybe you want to keep a extra eye on them for while

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

ABOUT TO INTORDUCE A SECOND STAFFIE TO OUR PACK, MAD OR GLAD Empty Re: ABOUT TO INTORDUCE A SECOND STAFFIE TO OUR PACK, MAD OR GLAD

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03 2011, 22:31

I have three staff cross jackrussell together and i'v never had a problem although they are all related but some even say thats even worse than newly introduced Staff's so I can't see a problem with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03 2011, 22:40

No 2 dogs are the same so even though some people have problems, many don't.
It may seem biased as people are more likely to post about problems that to post about everything being great.
If they seem fine with each other I'd say go for it.
BUT and this is a big BUT.......only if you promise to come back and post plenty of pics thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by CHEZWALES Thu Feb 03 2011, 23:01

Thank you all, i feel a bit better now, I do understand that for a while I will keep them sleeping apart etc. And this is the only forum of 4 that i have checked that has given positive info back. However next question, the two would be left alone for about 2-3 hrs while work committments cross. i am not expecting miracles but can i live in hope that eventually they will manage to at least be in the same room/open house for a while on their own.

And yes i will post plenty of photos (erm when i work out how)

CHEZWALES

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Feb 03 2011, 23:06

if you give a good walk before you work i'm sure they will sleep most of the time Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 04 2011, 08:33

Actually im gonna disagree......sorry! If ur "choosing" a new dog then i would really go for a male as u have a female already. As a rule of thumb males and females tend to get on soooo much better than two of the same sex. If u do take on this female you will have to do so knowing that they will have to be separated at all times when u are not there, fights can start over litterally nothing. You will also have to set extremley firm ground rules and make sure they both know who is boss.....you!
You may be lucky and they may get on very well but staffords are notoriously people dogs not dogs dogs and are not fantastically tolerant of eachother, i just think u will be setting yourself up for a much eaiser life and harmonious home if u rescue a male as a compainion for for female! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Feb 04 2011, 09:07

i never had a problem but i wouldn't i have 2 unneutered males together. i think female are alot calm

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 04 2011, 10:58

Females can actually be worse than males tbh x

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Feb 04 2011, 11:37

blaze wrote:Females can actually be worse than males tbh x

it depends on the dog i never had a problem with 2 females my mate the other year his males nearly kill each other.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 04 2011, 12:36

I just would never advice keeping to staffords of the same sex if at all possible......says me with two males haha! I just think if the op is looking to rescue another staff then it would be much more sensible to rehome a male, its not like they are few and far between! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 04 2011, 12:57

BlueStaffBlue wrote:BUT and this is a big BUT.......only if you promise to come back and post plenty of pics thumbs up

We insist on that!

I think if you're going to get another female, you should be very careful about leaving them alone togethr. I've told this story before, so anyone who knows it, just skip forward...........

A friend a few yaers ago had 2 female staffs. They'd grown up together & were very friendly, often left alone together for short periods. One day, coming back from a shopping trip my friend discovered her living room in uproar, blood everywhere & two nearly comatose * lying on the floor. Nobody knows what happened, whether they had a disagreement over something or not, but it was horrific.

If you're going to have 2 of the same sex, I'd seperate them when you leave them. Just my opinion.

Otherwise - good on you for rescuing! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Fri Feb 04 2011, 18:29

Caryll wrote:If you're going to have 2 of the same sex, I'd seperate them when you leave them. Just my opinion.
I agree - you just never know if/when one is going to snap (and bitch fights are the worst IMO). I shared an apartment with my sister for a while, and her dog had separation issues but did really well if he stayed with my whippet male. They were best of buddies. So - we kept them together and it worked really well for a long time. Until the day I came back and found my Nimbus covered in blood, unable to walk straight and covered in punctures in his face and neck.. Crying or Very sad Never, ever will I make that mistake again.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by billyboy1 Tue Feb 08 2011, 19:27

i had one of my staffs turn on a jack russel i had both * lucky my wife was there so i would say no, and i would never leave two dogs of any sex alone but then thats me but it does not take much for a misunderstanding and all hell could break out
billyboy1
billyboy1
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : billy
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by CHEZWALES Fri Feb 11 2011, 09:55

Thank you all so much, and after much research and thinking i have decided against putting another dog with Pippa. I am glad that i did look into this matter and wish more dog owners would do the same as Pippa is an amazing staffie, a loving dog and i wouldnt have wanted that to change just because i couldnt be bothered to do the research......again thank you all

CHEZWALES

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down