+3
PygmyParrot
Kathy
Fazzatastic
7 posters

Go down

FETCH Empty FETCH

Post by Fazzatastic Mon Oct 22 2012, 13:04

Just wondering how many of you out there have mastered the old 'fetch' trick with your dogs? I'm sick of seeing labs, collies, spaniels etc. in the park running for a ball, back and forth for what seems like hours. My dogs love chasing after the ball (or similar) but very rarely bring it back. And if they do, it's chewed to bits (and that's if they 'drop' it) Laughing They're far more interested in running after each other - and involving other dogs if they can. Any tips gratefully received!
Fazzatastic
Fazzatastic
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hamish and Hero
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and 1
Dog Gender(s) : Boys
Support total : 6

http://www.realrider.com

Back to top Go down

FETCH Empty Re: FETCH

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22 2012, 14:07

No tips, I'm afraid. I used to be one of those annoying people with collies/GSDs that played ball with perfectly behaved dogs. Then I got a Stafford!

Bandit would chase a ball & then play "Get it off me if you can". Dempsey looks at me as if to say "So? You threw it, you get it!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Oct 22 2012, 14:12

We tend to play "Catch me if you can" when Rocky has a ball, and if YOU insist on throwing it away all the time YOU can go and get it back Laughing
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Mon Oct 22 2012, 16:50

I am one of the annoying owners I'm afraid but in my defense we are new to this and Dexter came with a ready made fetch obsession Laughing
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 3 approx
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 100

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Oct 22 2012, 17:29

It is something she has done from day one, and very handy thing to have when I walk her on my lunch breaks and need her to let off as much steam as she can in a short space of time Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Mon Oct 22 2012, 18:19

Yep,Debo is the same,he'll run after it but leave it at the same place. We gave up Laughing
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22 2012, 18:31

Caryll wrote:No tips, I'm afraid. I used to be one of those annoying people with collies/GSDs that played ball with perfectly behaved dogs. Then I got a Stafford!

Bandit would chase a ball & then play "Get it off me if you can". Dempsey looks at me as if to say "So? You threw it, you get it!"

kathytake2 wrote:We tend to play "Catch me if you can" when Rocky has a ball, and if YOU insist on throwing it away all the time YOU can go and get it back Laughing

jola139 wrote:Yep,Debo is the same,he'll run after it but leave it at the same place. We gave up Laughing

Me too x 2 Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22 2012, 23:19

Loki used to run to the toy/ball, then leave it and run back Laughing. I've taught him how to play fetch though. It was made easier because I'd already taught him "get the ___" so he could identify a certain toy. So if I was playing with his toy stick, I'd get a treat and say "get the stick" and he'd touch it and run back, but I'd keep saying it until he actually brought the stick over to me, and then he'd drop it and I'd give him a treat. So yeah, that's how I taught him Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23 2012, 04:28

Never really got Suki to do this either. Sometimes she will chase after it but she won't bring it back and if she does you have to take it from her

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23 2012, 04:38

Caryll wrote:No tips, I'm afraid. I used to be one of those annoying people with collies/GSDs that played ball with perfectly behaved dogs. Then I got a Stafford!

Laughing Laughing Laughing I know that look, Steff does the same to me u, It's like "so what do I look like? Your slave?? You fetch it" rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by BetsyBoo Wed Oct 24 2012, 09:06

Oh yes this morning Betsy's idea of fetch was - you throw and I'll destory Big Grin
I think Betsy's previous owners had done some work around the fetch. I had to work on getting it back mainly through chicken. Although some days like today she had other plans.
I do some training of fetch indoors and like one of the other replies, we're working on naming items and fetching them. She does get a bit confused bless her between find and fetch but as long as it's fun for her. So I think indoors without distractions is always a good place if you haven't already.
Saying that at the end of the day I reckon some dogs will be nuts over playing fetch and others perhaps like yours are more interested in running around checking it all out. Sounds like just as much fun Big Grin
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Betsy
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou&percy :) Wed Oct 24 2012, 09:19

Percy loves chasing after the ball, but once he's got it he runs about half way back and then drops it and looks at me as of to say, well come on...meet me half way. Big Grin

The only way I can get him to run back is to start running and shouting like a loon in the opposite direction and then he chases after me. X

Lou&percy :)
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
FETCH Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Percy
Dog(s) Ages : 22 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24 2012, 16:31