Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Ticklymac on Thu Oct 18 2012, 04:42

I've been searching for a new harness and i'm becoming rather confuggled, silly as it sounds i didnt realise there were that many styles, sum of which i look at the pic and can't quite work out how it would go on? am sure it'd become apparent when i had the actual harness is hand.
Could someone explain the difference or how a "u" , a "y" an "h" style harness sits?
I know everyone has different opinions but what style is best?

She is quite good on the lead and doesn't pull very often but i feel more in control if shes in her harness

She currently has a harness from PAH but i dont feel it is secure, in fact one time she managed to wriggle out of it when my oh had her out (was ragin he wasnt payin attention)

think its this one but black...
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/blue-dog-harness-medium-by-pets-at-home-98567
Ticklymac
Ticklymac
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Age : 33
Location : Falkirk
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Join date : 2012-10-11
Support total : 31
Posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by janey on Thu Oct 18 2012, 09:24



I don't use a harness with Moo so not much help there, someone will be more helpfull than me Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Age : 36
Location : Surrey
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Join date : 2010-08-28
Support total : 4824
Posts : 56018

Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Andy on Thu Oct 18 2012, 09:38

Not sure about a "h" harness thinking ... but the other two refer to the way the harness looks on the dogs chest veiwed from the front Wink

A "Y" harness .. errr .. looks like a Y, one strap going underneath between the front legs, and one going over each shoulder

A "U" harness .. is a thick band in a U shape around the front (I use one for Max when pulling weight as it distributes the load really well, and pulls from both side's, not from above)

If that dosent make any sense Laughing .. I'll try to add pics and explain again Wink
Andy
Andy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Male
Location : Worcester area
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Join date : 2011-11-02
Support total : 305
Posts : 3906

Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 18 2012, 09:39

We primarily use a "u" harness since it doesn't seem to chafe

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Ticklymac on Fri Oct 19 2012, 03:19

Yeh see shes gettin quite bald behind her front legs coz of her current harness so would like a less chafy option....
what the kind thats like a ring round her neck then round her body an attached at both sides? Are they any good? Any chance u could post a pic of a "u" shaped one on?
Ticklymac
Ticklymac
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Age : 33
Location : Falkirk
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Join date : 2012-10-11
Support total : 31
Posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 19 2012, 07:03

Is a H harnes not like mine ?? 2 straps over the shoulders and 2 straps behind round the chest an interconnected by the breastplate , or is that a U thinking

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by PygmyParrot on Fri Oct 19 2012, 08:54

We have the ezydog chestplate, think that's what you use Dave but I can't figure out which shape it is either Laughing All I know is we tried three different harnesses and this one fits Dex's shape the best and he's very comfy in it. Plus they look rather snazzy imo Big Grin
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Age : 42
Location : South Staffs border
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 3 approx
Dog Gender(s) : male
Join date : 2012-09-15
Support total : 100
Posts : 1129

Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 19 2012, 08:58

Here's Suki in her everyday harness.

[img]Harness confusion, y/h/u/ 5-1[/img]

It buckels under her breastplate so it doesn't chafe her

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Andy on Fri Oct 19 2012, 09:13

Ticklymac wrote:Yeh see shes gettin quite bald behind her front legs coz of her current harness so would like a less chafy option....
what the kind thats like a ring round her neck then round her body an attached at both sides? Are they any good? Any chance u could post a pic of a "u" shaped one on?

jstaff wrote:Here's Suki in her everyday harness.

[img]Harness confusion, y/h/u/ 5-1[/img]

It buckels under her breastplate so it doesn't chafe her

Big Grin
Andy
Andy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Male
Location : Worcester area
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Join date : 2011-11-02
Support total : 305
Posts : 3906

Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 19 2012, 09:55

a H harness has no breast plate just strap round neck and one round waist and on the back were lead concects has like a short lead attachment so unlike the other two you view from the side which gives the H shape thumbs up

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 19 2012, 09:58

basic a H harness is like walking on collar but moves anchor point further back on the dog so not to choke strong pullers

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Ticklymac on Sat Oct 20 2012, 04:38

Thanks all!

PygmyParrot wrote:We have the ezydog chestplate, think that's what you use Dave but I can't figure out which shape it is either Laughing All I know is we tried three different harnesses and this one fits Dex's shape the best and he's very comfy in it. Plus they look rather snazzy imo Big Grin

Yeah i looked at these and quite liked the look for comfort - and for style heehee Big Grin


Last edited by Ticklymac on Sat Oct 20 2012, 04:43; edited 1 time in total
Ticklymac
Ticklymac
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Age : 33
Location : Falkirk
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Join date : 2012-10-11
Support total : 31
Posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Ticklymac on Sat Oct 20 2012, 04:43

Andy wrote:Not sure about a "h" harness thinking ... but the other two refer to the way the harness looks on the dogs chest veiwed from the front Wink

A "Y" harness .. errr .. looks like a Y, one strap going underneath between the front legs, and one going over each shoulder

A "U" harness .. is a thick band in a U shape around the front (I use one for Max when pulling weight as it distributes the load really well, and pulls from both side's, not from above)

If that dosent make any sense Laughing .. I'll try to add pics and explain again Wink

On a side note...does Max pull weight for fun or competing? I've looked a wee bit into this and had considered doing it with Diesel when she was a bit older as i really think she'd enjoy the challenge of it
Ticklymac
Ticklymac
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Age : 33
Location : Falkirk
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Join date : 2012-10-11
Support total : 31
Posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Andy on Sat Oct 20 2012, 10:24

Ticklymac wrote:
Andy wrote:Not sure about a "h" harness thinking ... but the other two refer to the way the harness looks on the dogs chest veiwed from the front Wink

A "Y" harness .. errr .. looks like a Y, one strap going underneath between the front legs, and one going over each shoulder

A "U" harness .. is a thick band in a U shape around the front (I use one for Max when pulling weight as it distributes the load really well, and pulls from both side's, not from above)

If that dosent make any sense Laughing .. I'll try to add pics and explain again Wink

On a side note...does Max pull weight for fun or competing? I've looked a wee bit into this and had considered doing it with Diesel when she was a bit older as i really think she'd enjoy the challenge of it

No Max dosent compete, but only cus I cant find anything close enough really, I think he would do really well if he did (he's all brawn and no brains bless him Love Struck )
Andy
Andy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Male
Location : Worcester area
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Join date : 2011-11-02
Support total : 305
Posts : 3906

Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 20 2012, 12:47

PygmyParrot wrote:We have the ezydog chestplate, think that's what you use Dave but I can't figure out which shape it is either Laughing All I know is we tried three different harnesses and this one fits Dex's shape the best and he's very comfy in it. Plus they look rather snazzy imo Big Grin

I don't really care whether it s A B C or D or whatever , like you here I found theis harness great quality and comfy and there are quite a few members use it so works for me

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by PygmyParrot on Sat Oct 20 2012, 16:21

Yeah, good price aswell for what you get, we paid same price for the pets at home one that chafed Dex.
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Age : 42
Location : South Staffs border
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 3 approx
Dog Gender(s) : male
Join date : 2012-09-15
Support total : 100
Posts : 1129

Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by wheezysue on Wed Nov 21 2012, 20:24

I recently found a harness online and absolutely love it, so easy to put on, takes secs, slips over his head and just one catch to clip. You can also customize them with velcro stickers/badges and they have pockets which are just big enough for some spare poop bags. It also has a little handle on it which is handy if you need to get hold of your dog when he/shes off lead. And the harness is quite a good price at £14.99 for his size M-L.
Everyone has their own style, but i went for this as its just so easy to put on and off. In case anyone likes it, i got mine from zooplus.


Harness confusion, y/h/u/ B40010
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/harnesses/trixie/282145
wheezysue
wheezysue
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Age : 45
Location : uk
Dogs Name(s) : Seamus (shay-mus)
Dog(s) Ages : 6yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Join date : 2012-11-21
Support total : 12
Posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Kathy on Wed Nov 21 2012, 20:35

We have the Julius K9 harness for Rocky which is very similar to the one in the picture above this post. Rocky is able to get out of his though. I hope you have more luck with this one, please let us know how you get on with it.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Age : 47
Location : Bedfordshire
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Join date : 2011-08-02
Support total : 4006
Posts : 42107

Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Staffy lover on Thu Nov 22 2012, 15:07

Pixee has got out of her harness a couple of times by walking backwards quick and in fear, which she did do up the vets carpark when she went to have her cannie out. She has a breastplate, two side clips and it slips over her head. She is having a new one soon for christmas.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Location : Worcestershire
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Join date : 2012-01-05
Support total : 214
Posts : 1965

Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by wheezysue on Thu Nov 22 2012, 22:16

kathytake2 wrote:We have the Julius K9 harness for Rocky which is very similar to the one in the picture above this post. Rocky is able to get out of his though. I hope you have more luck with this one, please let us know how you get on with it.

I was looking at the julius k9 but went for this cheaper version, no probs with him getting out of it so far, he runs through tall grass chasing his ball and its never come loose, my border terrier mix 'Tuffy' also has one and not got out yet and tuffys a real wriggler and is always pulling backwards against the lead. So yeh good so far, you can get it in black and purple as well as the blue mine has.
Sounds like your Rocky is a bit of an escape artist lol Big Grin
wheezysue
wheezysue
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Age : 45
Location : uk
Dogs Name(s) : Seamus (shay-mus)
Dog(s) Ages : 6yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Join date : 2012-11-21
Support total : 12
Posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Harness confusion, y/h/u/ Empty Re: Harness confusion, y/h/u/

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum