+2
Chantel
DragonTheStaffie
6 posters

Go down

deworming question Empty deworming question

Post by DragonTheStaffie Tue Oct 16 2012, 12:08

Hello everyone,
I've been trying to search on google for the answers to my questions but it's not helping me at all, so I decided to post it here since this is a staffy forums and this is about my staffy.

So I de-wormed Dragon about 3 weeks a go and he started putting on weight ( a little bit ) but now he's not putting on weight and I'm starting to wonder if he has worms again and what should I do, since it says I should only deworm him again after 3-6 months and it's only been 3 weeks. The reason why I think he has worms it's because my mum has a dog and we believe he has worms and he also has fleas, I've told her to de-flea him and she did but he's obese and we can not find any de-flea products for his weight, so we got one for a bit under his weight but I guess it didn't work because Dragon has caught fleas from my mums dog, but normally they die after a while since the product we bought to de-flea Dragon said it will protect him for 8 weeks so normally when he gets fleas they just die.

Now what I'm wondering is, do the worms also die if he's been de-wormed or do they not die and I have to wait 3-6 months to de-worm him?
Also what's the harm in de-worming him before the time that they recommend? I don't want to leave my dog with worms for another 2 months.

Thank you.
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Dragon
Dog(s) Ages : DOB - 25-12-2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 90

Back to top Go down

deworming question Empty Re: deworming question

Post by Chantel Tue Oct 16 2012, 12:57

Ok, this sounds a bit gross, but check his poop to see if there are any worms. The de-worming pills usually kills the worms and they come out the back end.

It is not recommended to de-worm too often, usually every 2 months. Dogs can actually overdose on deworming if it is given too often, or above the recommended weight. This is not true for all products though.

I would suggest you wait a little while longer, but try look and see if there is anything in the poop.

Not sure about the weight gain though
Chantel
Chantel

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maska & Loki
Dog(s) Ages : Maska 1 year and a bit & Loki 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 127

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 13:17

My first question is does he need to put on weight?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 13:54

I would of said from your pictures he looks really fit and healthy so his weight was good. My vet and I think most others recommend worming every 3 months and we use Milbemax from the Vet , little more expensive but it is one of the few that will aid in the prevention of lungworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 14:05

Dave wrote:I would of said from your pictures he looks really fit and healthy so his weight was good. My vet and I think most others recommend worming every 3 months and we use Milbemax from the Vet , little more expensive but it is one of the few that will aid in the prevention of lungworm

milbemax is cheaper than store bought wormers wih my vet! They just give it by the tablet, not by box or anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 14:11

Hayley wrote:
Dave wrote:I would of said from your pictures he looks really fit and healthy so his weight was good. My vet and I think most others recommend worming every 3 months and we use Milbemax from the Vet , little more expensive but it is one of the few that will aid in the prevention of lungworm

milbemax is cheaper than store bought wormers wih my vet! They just give it by the tablet, not by box or anything.

May be so Hayley , I was basing it on the fact that I would buy in bigger quantities for the Drontal flavour we used to give Tilly so it was like 8 tablets for 20 quid or something . I paid £12.55 at the Vet for 2 for both of them (1 adult wormer each) , he did weigh Tommy but didn't charge a fee. You can buy Milbemax online far cheaper but you need a prescription for it which you would have to pay for so easiest for me is to the vet

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonTheStaffie Tue Oct 16 2012, 14:24

Yes he's meant to gain just a bit more weight from what the women from the pet shop said. His ribs are still showing a little bit (you can't see it on the pictures but in real life he looks a bit more skinner than the pictures) from what I heard your meant to see the last rib but not the rest but be able to feel them, right? He's nearly on the perfect weight but a little little bit overweight and he eats like crazy and has not been putting on weight, he has 2 thin of food with a little bit of biscuits (he don't like to eat biscuits maybe because the old owner never feed him biscuits or anything hard, he only likes them jelly food for dog with a bit of beef, chicken and that..).

Also when I de-wormed him the first time he didn't poo the worms I don't think, he vomited and had a poo outside but I didn't check his poo, but from what I heard he's meant to have quite a few poos when he's de-wormed (if he has worms which he definitely had), also he's been nibbling near his bum, so I'm thinking he might have worms again, my question is if the worming tablet will kill the worms or if he gets worms after being de-wormed they just stay there until you de-worm him? Also he's only been de-wormed once from what I know, I've only had him for 2-3 months and the past owners weren't good owners and from what I heard they didn't like to spend money on the vets, best food, flea treatment or anything that came to spend a lot of money every so often.

Do you guys think I should just de-worm him one more time to be sure he's ok or should I just wait another 1-2 months?

Also I use Bob Martin to deworm him.
DragonTheStaffie
DragonTheStaffie

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Dragon
Dog(s) Ages : DOB - 25-12-2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 90

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 14:51

Dave wrote:
Hayley wrote:

May be so Hayley , I was basing it on the fact that I would buy in bigger quantities for the Drontal flavour we used to give Tilly so it was like 8 tablets for 20 quid or something . I paid £12.55 at the Vet for 2 for both of them (1 adult wormer each) , he did weigh Tommy but didn't charge a fee. You can buy Milbemax online far cheaper but you need a prescription for it which you would have to pay for so easiest for me is to the vet

I couldn't bring myself to buy it online tbh lol im happy enough to get it at the vets.

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Tue Oct 16 2012, 18:36

Could you have the vet do a sample to find out?
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Oct 16 2012, 19:50

I am considering putting Rocky back onto the Milbemax as this was given to him when he was at the rescue centre before we got him. We currently use Drontal and he hasnt had any adverse reactions to it or had worms.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 19:57

DragonTheStaffie wrote:Yes he's meant to gain just a bit more weight from what the women from the pet shop said. His ribs are still showing a little bit (you can't see it on the pictures but in real life he looks a bit more skinner than the pictures) from what I heard your meant to see the last rib but not the rest but be able to feel them, right? He's nearly on the perfect weight but a little little bit overweight and he eats like crazy and has not been putting on weight, he has 2 thin of food with a little bit of biscuits (he don't like to eat biscuits maybe because the old owner never feed him biscuits or anything hard, he only likes them jelly food for dog with a bit of beef, chicken and that..).

Also when I de-wormed him the first time he didn't poo the worms I don't think, he vomited and had a poo outside but I didn't check his poo, but from what I heard he's meant to have quite a few poos when he's de-wormed (if he has worms which he definitely had), also he's been nibbling near his bum, so I'm thinking he might have worms again, my question is if the worming tablet will kill the worms or if he gets worms after being de-wormed they just stay there until you de-worm him? Also he's only been de-wormed once from what I know, I've only had him for 2-3 months and the past owners weren't good owners and from what I heard they didn't like to spend money on the vets, best food, flea treatment or anything that came to spend a lot of money every so often.

Do you guys think I should just de-worm him one more time to be sure he's ok or should I just wait another 1-2 months?

Seeing ribs on a dog does not automatically mean the dog needs to put weight on, I keep my dogs very lean and their ribs are visible but extremely healthy. Most people keep their dogs heavier then i would.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 20:13

haha think every one missed your using bob martin to deworm this is why he not getting rid of the worms bob martin is just a total waste of money and they do nothing unless you give in huge amounts you need to give drontal or milbamax to get rid .
bob martin may work if used after a good treatment and used very reguler but in the long run drontal is cheaper Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 20:17

kathytake2 wrote:I am considering putting Rocky back onto the Milbemax as this was given to him when he was at the rescue centre before we got him. We currently use Drontal and he hasnt had any adverse reactions to it or had worms.

The only reason I switched to Milbemax was because of lung worm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 20:56

My vet does a "puppy club" which I have joined, for £10 per month.

Amongst much else, it also includes a worming/de-fleaing/lungworm/every other thing on God's earth that can infect your dog. It's called Advocate, and is applied once a month onto the back of the dog's neck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 21:00

new Staffy owner wrote:My vet does a "puppy club" which I have joined, for £10 per month.

Amongst much else, it also includes a worming/de-fleaing/lungworm/every other thing on God's earth that can infect your dog. It's called Advocate, and is applied once a month onto the back of the dog's neck.

i use advocate on my boy but you still need to give drontal every 6 months
but must say £10 a month for advocate is a bit steep i pay £36 for 6 month supply

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 21:02

sorry just re read £10 a month not just for the advocate Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 21:14

Yes, Advocate is provided amongst much else in the puppy club.

why do I need to use Drontal on top of this? The leaflet with Advocate says it will protect against - oh, everything. much more than I have heard of, or wish to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lennons mum Tue Oct 16 2012, 21:24

Advocate doesn't cover tapeworm, which is one of the most common worms so you still need to use a multiwormer every 3 -6 months.
Lennons mum
Lennons mum
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lennon
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs9mnths
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 21:33

DragonTheStaffie wrote:
Yes he's meant to gain just a bit more weight from what the women from the pet shop said.

Please don't listen to 'the ladies in the pet shop' - I don't mean to sound rude about them, but they're just shop workers, not vets! They're probably not even experienced dog owners! A dog is far better off slightly underweight than overweight. If he's healthy & lively, let him be at the weight he is.

DragonTheStaffie wrote:Also when I de-wormed him the first time he didn't poo the worms I don't think, he vomited and had a poo outside but I didn't check his poo, but from what I heard he's meant to have quite a few poos when he's de-wormed (if he has worms which he definitely had)

When a dog is wormed he doesn't necessarily poo more. You may not see any worms, either, as some of the wormers actually disolve the worms inside the dog's body.

DragonTheStaffie wrote:Do you guys think I should just de-worm him one more time to be sure he's ok or should I just wait another 1-2 months?

As you've used Bob Martin, I would definitely worm him again, but with a good wormer such as Milbemax or Advocate, which you can get from your vets. Bob Martin's is useless & won't do the job properly.

new Staffy owner wrote:My vet does a "puppy club" which I have joined, for £10 per month.

I don't use the spot on treatments myself, because I don't de-flea unless there's actually a problem. I don't like the idea of putting very strong, unnecessary chemicals on my dog when he doesn't need it. I just worm every 3 months with a good quality wormer that also covers lungworm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 21:58

I agree with Caryll that a regular de-fleaing treatment is usually not necessary on a short-coated dog like a Staffy. However (and here I go again, sorry!) one of my Dobes DID get fleas, god knows how, and infested the house! Only a spot-on treatment (plus dusting the house) got rid of the blighters.

So, I am grateful that Advocate will prevent flea infestation.

Which brings me back to tapeworm (Bigwazza) - I understand that tapeworm is contracted through ingesting fleas or their eggs or their larvae.

If that is so, and that Advocate will prevent flea infestation, is Drontal necessary on top of Advocate?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 22:05

new Staffy owner wrote:
Which brings me back to tapeworm (Bigwazza) - I understand that tapeworm is contracted through ingesting fleas or their eggs or their larvae.

If that is so, and that Advocate will prevent flea infestation, is Drontal necessary on top of Advocate?

Well, the fleas will still get on the dog, but will then be killed when they bite. If the dog nibbles the fleas before they bite, then the tapeworms could be passed to the dog. Tapeworms can also be contracted by the dog eating other dogs' poo, or even licking an area where another dog has pooed, even if it was picked up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Oct 16 2012, 22:40

I de flea twice a year, may and then july. For worming i do every three months and most of your cheaper wormers cover all worms but at a kill rate at under 85% they cant say they kill all worms.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 22:46

EEesh - point taken Caryll and a good point too.

Drontal added to Kuchar's regime as of now.

I am thinking of contacting Advocate to enquire why they don't add tapeworm eradication from their impressive list of "other worms" eradication.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down