lymph nodes

+2
Jackieb
roxyb
6 posters

Go down

lymph nodes Empty lymph nodes

Post by roxyb Sun Sep 23 2012, 12:51

Any advice would be welcome, Roxy is two and about 10 days ago a massive egg sized lump appeared just under her jaw on the side of her neck with a much smaller one on the other side. They did go down but were still there and she seemed uncomfortable when they were touched. Took her to the vets who prescribed antibiotics and to bring her back in 5 days, which my husband did. The lumps didn't seem to change and the vet now wants her in on Tuesday to take a sample under sedation. Every where i have now looked on the web screams cancer at me and am now beside myself with worry. She is scared of the vets anyway and shakes like mad but i know she has to go. apart from the lumps she is eating well and seems her normal lovely self. Does anyone have any experience of this or what they might be?

roxyb
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

lymph nodes Empty Re: lymph nodes

Post by Jackieb Sun Sep 23 2012, 12:57

No idea, wouldn't like to hazard a guess tbh. Best of luck at the vets xx
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Sep 23 2012, 16:17

Hi Tracey hopefully its nothing to worry about and you are better getting her tested for any nasties, hopefully shes just run down a little there can be many different reasons why the nodes swell up. All I can do is share what happened with my girl she turned out to have the dreaded cancer and the vet did say that usually all the lymph nodes are affected like us they have them in different areas around the body back legs (just up from there hocks) top of the front legs behind the front legs and under there jaw I could feel them all swelled up about the size of a marble. In the later stages she developed I can only describe as like a sponge substance around them too and at the begining she did go off her food was tired easily and found it difficult to swallow these were her symptoms as you say your girl has none of these so try not to worry Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Sep 23 2012, 16:33

I haven't any experience myself, please do let us know how you go >Big Grin<
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Sep 23 2012, 18:52

I'm sure it will get sorted at the vets, please let us know how you get on. >Big Grin<
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by roxyb Sun Sep 23 2012, 19:27

Thanks for your responses. I will let everyone knows how she does. Hopefully it is not bad news xx xx Am worrying myself ill, though!

roxyb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tzu Fri Oct 05 2012, 05:48

roxyb wrote:Any advice would be welcome, Roxy is two and about 10 days ago a massive egg sized lump appeared just under her jaw on the side of her neck with a much smaller one on the other side. They did go down but were still there and she seemed uncomfortable when they were touched. Took her to the vets who prescribed antibiotics and to bring her back in 5 days, which my husband did. The lumps didn't seem to change and the vet now wants her in on Tuesday to take a sample under sedation. Every where i have now looked on the web screams cancer at me and am now beside myself with worry. She is scared of the vets anyway and shakes like mad but i know she has to go. apart from the lumps she is eating well and seems her normal lovely self. Does anyone have any experience of this or what they might be?

Hey Roxyb i'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I actually made my account purely to respond to this post because it sounds like (and hopefully not) your dog might have lymphoma. Our dog Toby is 3 and ended up getting diagnosed with lymphoma and I found out doing a lot of research that it's the most common cancer in dogs, and is also very treatable. There are several things they can do to treat your dog depending if it's B or T cell but the most common treatment is chemotherapy. It's a little pricey, commonly around 1500 to 2000 dollars. There is all so one treatment that spoke out to us and has shown higher cure rates. And that treatment is a bone marrow transplant. What they do is they put your dog into remission (with small but potent sessions of chemotherapy) then they harvest clean (cancer free) blood cell stems and then do a a complete body radiation to try and wipe out the cancer on a molecular level. Now Chemo isn't able to do that very well so even though dogs are able to go into clinical remission it usually doesn't kill the cancer on that molecular level. This treatment is very expensive about 20-25 thousand dollars. And you'll need a 15 thousand dollar deposit. If this is something you're interested in please
contact NC State College of Veterinary Medicine. There phone number is (919) 513-6272 and ask for Buffy or DR. Steven Suter. They can give you all the information you need and answer all your questions. We were able to do a lot of the stuff here where I live in Salt Lake City before we actually flew Toby out to NC. Definitely post how your dog does and I hope this helps.
Tzu
Tzu

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Kilak and Toby
Dog(s) Ages : 3-4
Dog Gender(s) : Male/Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roxyb Sat Oct 06 2012, 21:22

Hi everyone

So releived, it turned out ot be blocked salivary glands , which were treated with antibiotics and draining. Roxy is fine now but we just need to keep an eye on her in case it happen again. thankyou for all your responses x

roxyb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Oct 06 2012, 22:10