My New Pup!

Go down

My New Pup! Empty My New Pup!

Post by toomuc Tue Sep 04 2012, 10:21

I love staffy's I had a old girl (still alive 14 years young and going on strong still!, never bitten anyone never looked like doing it just loves company like all staffy's, loves her walks only fetched a ball a handful of times just didn't take to it but did love tug of war though!) who I had to give up when I moved to a new house. Now that I have all my fencing we tried to get her to like the new animal additions which failed badly much to my own doing of getting her to dislike cats lol. That brings me to my intro of my new boy whose not quite ready to come yet but very excited all the same. The boy is a biggest of the litter so he should be nice and strong by time 8 weeks hits and I can take him home for the first time. It is like waiting for the mrs being preggers and waiting those last weeks before the baby would be ready to enter the world but with this guy we met him at 3 weeks and now have to wait 5 long weeks before we can show him around. Just on the cat and other animal thing we thought it would be better although a bit more painful at the start to try having a puppy as they should be more accepting of whose around him. I really do hope this little likes his adopted brothers doesn't try anything silly as I do know that Staffy's in general don't care to much about anything if they are introduced early enough so do hope this rings true. The fun to begin with a puppy! With my old girl we used to feed her honey on toast with a bit of milk for breakfast to help fight off any chance of kennel cough anyone else have ideas or done this as well? This is going back a fair while but I am trying to remember what it was like to have a puppy lol o and three children which I know my old girl doesn't care too much about one good thing to come of her old age despite her dislike for the other animals might of been able to have her if it weren't for that. The two youngest children are a little jumped back by her but we hope that a puppy growing up and they get a little older with it might be a good remedy.
toomuc
toomuc
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Buddha
Dog(s) Ages : less than 3 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

My New Pup! Empty Re: My New Pup!

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 10:34

Exciting times! That wait before they come home seems to drag, doesn't it?

How old are your children? Kids generally love pups & staffords, of course, are known to love kids so you should have any problems. Just make sure that your children give the pup plenty of time to itself to sleep & calm down, otherwise you'll have all sorts of problems!

I wouldn't rely on the toat & honey for keeping kennel cough away - it doesn't! Laughing Manuka honey might have a lot of health benefits, but it's soooo expensive! Even then, I doubt it'd do anything to stop kennel cough as it's a virus. Just keep your pup healthy & he should avoid most illnesses anyway. Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by toomuc Tue Sep 04 2012, 10:41

yes the wait is annoying but I need to take it in my stride because this little guy is top secret no one in my family knows lol I am a little worried if I introduce the little fella to the old girl and how that will go because the old girl can get a bit jealous and may not like me having another dog instead of her. but she knows I cant have her and she has a good life to end her days anyway.

my kids are 7, 3 and 1.5 years. The older one we introduced slowly to the older dog (6 or 7 at the time never really been around kids either) when we had her and worked out a treat once she had her scent right we introduced her more and they were best friends before we had to move.

I was just going on bad memory why we fed her honey, toast and milk. The breeder was a silly old english fella lol he reckoned it was good for the cough so we went with it. Not totally sure if it did make any difference but at the time what he said sounded good.
toomuc
toomuc

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Buddha
Dog(s) Ages : less than 3 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 10:50

I have heard about the honey before, but it's an old wives' tale! Like so many old fashioned remedies, it's hard for some people to let them go!

I wouldn't worry too much about the 7 year old, but I'd take things slowly with the two younger children. They can plague a puppy beyond endurance without ever meaning to be cruel. Then next thing you know the pup nips & draws blood & the sh1t hits the fan!

Obviously make sure all the children are strictly supervised when they are with the pup (but that's true with any breed of dog, or any animal tbh) and try to involve them in some small way with training and feeding.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum