Mabel spayed yesterday advice please

5 posters

Go down

Mabel spayed yesterday advice please Empty Mabel spayed yesterday advice please

Post by Sharonq Thu Aug 30 2012, 18:07

Mabel was spayed yesterday, although she was a bit shaky and refused chicken and rice last night (although she would take crumbs of victoria sandwich cake!) she has made a miraculous recovery today. I am having great difficulty stopping her from jumping up and running around - have had to remove most of her toys. I tried to put the cone collar on her but this caused her great distress and i was worried that she was going to damage the stitched wound as she was jumping around trying to pull it off. It looks to me as though she can't actually reach the wound to lick it. Anyone else have experience of this? Any suggestions please?
Sharonq
Sharonq
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mabel
Dog(s) Ages : 15 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Mabel spayed yesterday advice please Empty Re: Mabel spayed yesterday advice please

Post by asa-james Thu Aug 30 2012, 18:29

Lola was hard to keep still, and I had to go back to the vets after three days as the wound started bleeding (no lasting damage, just advised to keep her calm for as much time as possible). All you can do is keep her as calm as possible, if she gets restless perhaps take her for a short walk on the lead? I can't remember of they tell you not to walk them for a few days. I never needed to use the cone, as Lola was never interested in licking (it was keeping the other dog off that was the issue!)
asa-james
asa-james
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Mabel spayed yesterday advice please Empty Re: Mabel spayed yesterday advice please

Post by Sharonq Thu Aug 30 2012, 18:36

Thanks - vet advised no walks for the full 10-14 days as she is extremely boisterous and pulls when we walk. Good to know that Lola didn't need the cone though. We have a 2 day check up tomorrow with the vet but they seem to keep pushing the cone which was why I asked.
Sharonq
Sharonq

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Aug 30 2012, 18:54

Neither of my girls needed the cone, I just had to keep them both calm, easier with Moo as we live in a apartment but scrumps had stairs! We managed fine as will you 2, seems like an age but isn't that long, try mind/seak games, they help to tire them Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharonq Thu Aug 30 2012, 19:05

I will try the games, though Mabel sees everything as a chance to run and jump! At least I know that in a few weeks time we'll be back to normal. Thanks for the advice
Sharonq
Sharonq

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Thu Aug 30 2012, 19:35

Hi I wish Mabel a speedy recovery Love Struck
My little girl was spayed afew weeks back and she was running around like a loony the next day it was so hard too keep her quiet...!!!
I was very lucky with her wound as this was the first dog i had that they did internal stiches so she couldn,t get too them it was great Smile
I have never needed a collar though with all my girls you just have too warn her oof if you see her at her stiches but generally after afew days they aren,t bothered by them hope it all goes ok xx
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7yrs and 1yr
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Aug 30 2012, 19:38

Try hiding treats/toys around the home for her to find. Sorry I have just been ordered for a cuddle
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down