scared to walk for first 10 mins

5 posters

Go down

scared to walk for first 10 mins Empty scared to walk for first 10 mins

Post by reenmatch Wed Aug 29 2012, 19:37

Hello
My 13 week pup is wonderful as is my 6 year old staff but my big stress is the first 10 mins of setting out for walkies the pup just goes on strike! I have carried her to the feild I have driven her to the field I have dragged her!! but no matter how we start ,,the first 10 mins is a big sweaty nightmare! she whimpers shakes and just sits down its sooo awful but after that yay! she is fine,,,any suggestions to start our walk without the stress? bearing in mind i have a adult staff as well on the other lead (from day one he was a bullet out of the front door!)

reenmatch
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

scared to walk for first 10 mins Empty Re: scared to walk for first 10 mins

Post by Kathy Wed Aug 29 2012, 19:40

Hi & scared to walk for first 10 mins Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

scared to walk for first 10 mins Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
scared to walk for first 10 mins Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
scared to walk for first 10 mins Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
scared to walk for first 10 mins Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
scared to walk for first 10 mins Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
scared to walk for first 10 mins Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
scared to walk for first 10 mins Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Aug 29 2012, 19:42

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Has something happened on a walk to put her off wanting to go?
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by reenmatch Wed Aug 29 2012, 19:55

Thanks for the welcome.. Little Nell spent the first few weeks in our large garden waiting for her innoculations to kick in before she was allowed out.
I practised walking on lead in the garden (fine!) brave naughty girl at home. Her first walk was slow but nothing awful happened, her second trip out Bam! shakes, crying sat down! ooops i did carry her to the field was that what did it ??

reenmatch

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Aug 29 2012, 20:13

When you first leave the house, make yourself the funniest person to be around, even if you look like a complete spoon! Be fun and exciting and keep her amused, she will be fine but its all new at that age Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by reenmatch Wed Aug 29 2012, 20:18

Janey
Thank you I do look like a comlpete spoon without even trying!
But yeas I think This may be worth a try! ...I am soo used to stepping out with my immaculately behaved old boy.. he even waits for me to lock the front door! I think I may be being a bit too po faced and uptight about maintaining my "good impression" look at me with my perfect dog" MMM OK thanks i will try it (ohmigod this will be embaressing)

reenmatch

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Aug 29 2012, 20:20

Laughing you must let me know how it goes!!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 29 2012, 21:12

strange as our problem was reversed , Tilly was anightmare to get started then she was fine and loves her walks, Tommy was a dream as he just followed his big sis everywhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 29 2012, 21:27

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. Have you tried using treats to get her attention and encourage her to go on? Suki was a nervous wreck when we first started out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Wed Aug 29 2012, 22:05

Skye was fine but buster was about 5 months old when we got him and was petrified even with Skye around with time and patience he now walks most of the time although if a big lorry comes ast he will stop and cower but is so much better
Treats get him walking again sometimes he tried to go the other way but just waiting convinced him to continue walking
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by SueL Thu Aug 30 2012, 10:29

Maggie is similar, she's 12 weeks old (today) and just lies down or halts and won't move on local walks. She's fine at agricultural shows and car shows which are crowded and noisy but gets scared walking up a country lane. I've found if I carry her up the lane and reassure her she'll walk back but she still gets hesitant. I keep luring her with treats and reassuring her and hopefully she'll get over it. Good Luck with it and hopefully we'll both be on here soon saying that our dog used to be scared of walks but is fine now!! Smile
SueL
SueL

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie
Dog Gender(s) : Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 30 2012, 10:40

Loki isn't scared of walking, but he usually just sits and the front door and refuses to step out. I think the culprit for that is my generous giving of treats though lol. But yeah, treats can help you, drop them on the floor in front of her and see if she'll walk to them on her own. Or get her favorite toy or something to keep her distracted during the beginning of the walk, and hopefully she'll start to see it as a positive thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down