Long line

+2
Kathy
Jackieb
6 posters

Go down

Long line Empty Long line

Post by Jackieb Sat Aug 25 2012, 21:05

So, I bought a 30ft long line for Diesel, took her to the fields today which is only a 3min walk and OMG.... Soon as we got there clipped the long line on her and she was good as gold, loved the extra freedom to roam in n out the trees and after a good long walk she walked perfectly next to me.

I haven't let Diesel off lead for a long time since she legged it at 5mths old and I paniced big time. But it's nice with the long line, I have control if needed and she loved it to x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Long line Empty Re: Long line

Post by Kathy Sat Aug 25 2012, 21:08

I walk Rocky on a long line too, gives him the extra freedom and peace of mind for me. It does make a great difference to the walk.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 25 2012, 21:33

I'm a big fan of the long lead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26 2012, 07:59

Jackieb wrote:So, I bought a 30ft long line for Diesel, took her to the fields today which is only a 3min walk and OMG.... Soon as we got there clipped the long line on her and she was good as gold, loved the extra freedom to roam in n out the trees and after a good long walk she walked perfectly next to me.

I haven't let Diesel off lead for a long time since she legged it at 5mths old and I paniced big time. But it's nice with the long line, I have control if needed and she loved it to x

I use it less often now with Tommy as I gather a bit more confidence in him not running away but it was really peace of mind in the early days

Back to top Go down

Post by steplce Sun Aug 26 2012, 16:23

i tried a long lead but my 10 month old staffy just bites it and tries to play tug-a-war
steplce
steplce
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : alfie (staffy/mastiff cross)
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Aug 26 2012, 17:35

I love my long line im a fan !
Ive just plucked up the courage and bought a flexi lead along with a training collar I only have 1 dog now broken heart (with exception to my sons little rescue girl) and have to say im impressed up to now
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sun Aug 26 2012, 19:10

Took Diesel and Tank both out today for a run and the long line is so worth it's weight in gold. The extra ring to shorten it to 15ft is great and she's learnt she can only run so far but it's great to see her being a dog if u know what I mean.... Like just being natural.

Tank however just wants to eat it lmao so sticking to the 15ft line with him, he's pretty chilled and awesome walking to heel so I know he's content.
I'm a happy bunny x
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 27 2012, 10:37

I have ordered a flexi lead for Charlie cos he has a problem with small dogs Sad

It's good to hear that the dogs are happy on it, Charlie's used to complete freedom so I don't think he's going to be too happy about it at first but I can't take the risk of him hurting or killing someone's dog.

Fingers crossed I'll be posting a success story too Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Mon Aug 27 2012, 15:00

My dogs always have a 30ft long line on when running loose, they drag it behind them, I don't hold it. I live in an area where there are a lot of dogs, mainly Staffies or Pitt Bulls, I don't know these dogs or if they will attack mine.

This paid off a few weeks ago, Cyril is a big wimp, a Staffy came racing across the field to attack him, he hadn't a clue he was going to be attacked. I grabbed some treats out of my pocket and just managed to get my hand in front of the dog before she attacked. I wish I had a camera handy, her face was a picture. Laughing It stopped her.

I had someone with me who picked up both Cyril and Bonnie's long lines and pulled them back while I put on a spare lead on this other dog. Her owner came racing across the field apologising, she was known for attacking other dogs.

Since this happened she has been a lot better with other dogs, she no longer tries to attach them but won't let them get close. With my dogs you wouldn't know she had a problem. Her owners are now trying to build up on this and are doing really well.

I am always wary of using an extending lead, not only can it not lock properly it teaches a dog to always have tension on the lead, I like my dogs to walk on a loose lead and not have tension on it but if you are happy with tension on the lead, then that is fine.

Cyril baby
Cyril baby
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Long line Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by munschk Mon Aug 27 2012, 18:24

I love using a long lead, except I'm a cheapo, I use a horse lunge line (got mine second hand for under R60 which is under 5 pounds I think??) and it works wonders.

My normal 'short' leash is also adjustable from 1-2m which I find very handy too.
munschk
munschk

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hiccup
Dog(s) Ages : 24 November 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 51

Back to top Go down