Staffy lover
asa-james
janey
cotswold
10 posters

Go down

Buster's Story Empty Buster's Story

Post by cotswold Tue Aug 21 2012, 22:47

Hi people, my name is Steve and I'm new here. As this site has subscribed to my channel on YouTube a good while ago, and I've just recently sorted out my account, I just felt like sharing something with you all.

I have 2 Staffordshire bull terriers. Taz now aged 11 (red brindle & white) and Buster now aged 10 (fawn & blue).

On the morning of Saturday 30/6/12 I came down stairs to let the 2 dogs out into the garden for toileting. As I was being greeting by the 2 excited Staffy's when fussing them I noticed a small lump on Busters lower left side jaw. It was about the size of a 1 pence piece. I kept a close eye on the lump, and over the next week I noticed it was getting larger. I called my vets and got him in on Monday the 9/7/12. The vets checked him over and put him on a 7 day course of antibiotics. On the 7th and last day of his antibiotics (the following Monday 16/7/12) I took him back to the vets for a check up as the lump had got bigger. The vets checked him over and suggested surgery to remove the lump as he didn't know what it was until it was out. So I booked him in for his operation 4
days later on Friday 20/7/12, and also booked the day off work.

I dropped Buster off there at 8am. The vets called me at 9am to tell me that they had done the blood test to check his kidneys and liver will handle the anesthetic because of his age (which was successful) and that the operation will be going ahead. It was a very long day for both myself and Taz. With all sorts racing through my head, and worrying if he'll be ok under the anesthetic.

The vets called me about 2pm and I was told that the surgery was a success and that Buster was awake. They also told me that he'll be ready for collecting after 5pm. I couldn't wait any longer and I just wanted him back, I arrived at the vets at 4:20, I didn't care about the 40 minute wait for him, I just wanted to be there.

The surgeon called me into the consultation room to explain how the procedure went and then to wait for my little friend to be brought to me. It was a great sight to see him even though he had a trumpet around his head, lol. After the slow and steady drive home, Taz was excited to see his best friend again.

Buster's Story Imag0118

On Monday 23/7/12 me and Buster returned to the vets for his check up. The vets was extremely pleased with his progress of healing and with the area clean of infection his skin had knitted together nicely.

Buster's Story Imag0119

Saturday 28/7/12 came around and we were relaxing in the garden as it was a nice sunny warm day. At 7pm me and the missus decided to go for a meal. So checking that our 2 dogs were fed and settled down we headed out. We arrived back home at 10pm. I removed the trumpet collar so Buster could access his water bowl properly we were struck with horror!!!

Busters neck and throat area had swollen and with a big lump in the left side of his throat that would fill my palm. I felt sick! Straight away I called my vets. They told me to get him to 1 of the 2 branches they have open the next day. So Sunday morning we got him into the nearest branch, 45 minute drive away. The vet there didn't know what had caused the swelling because he couldn't read our usual branches notes on the system and the results of the biopsy of the lump are attached to those notes. So he gave Buster an injection of antibiotics and anti inflammatries. That Sunday afternoon going into the evening we noticed that the swelling was going down.

Buster's Story Imag0120

Buster's Story Imag0121

The following day Monday 30/7/12 I came down stairs to check on Buster. Expecting to see the swelling reduced more, I was so wrong! To my horror it had swollen so much, Buster didn't look like Buster anymore. From the left hand edge of his nose, his face was completely smoothed out all the way to his ear. This time he had 2 lumps in his throat. The left lump would fill my palm again, and the right lump was about the size of a tennis ball. I felt ill.

I got dressed immediately, put Buster in the back of the car and drove straight to my work. I explain to my team leader the situation, and headed off to the vets. I walked to the reception at the vets, the swelling was so bad, the surgeon walked straight past Buster because he didn't recognize him. When my name was called and we walked into the consultation room with the surgeon saying "oh dear". He explained the results of the biopsy, and I was told that the lump that was removed was a mast cell tumor. With the swelling that had came up, it was likely a spread of tumors to his lymph glands due to a reaction of the first one being removed. I fell to pieces, I couldn't hold it back. The surgeon had to leave the room because he was getting upset. When he returned into the room, his eyes were red and teary. He told me the with radiotherapy and chemotherapy his life expectancy will be between 6-12 months.

I told the surgeon that I couldn't afford that treatment and asked for a more affordable alternative. He suggested antibiotics, piriton antihistamines and a steroid Prednisolone, but told me that his life expectancy will be greatly reduced to anything from 1 week to 1 month. That news felt like a punch in the chest, my heart fell, and I lost it again, I couldn't hold the tears back. To my surprise the surgeon told me whilst he was crying also that Buster
is his favorite patient and that he has never caused him any trouble every time he has been at the vets. He told me to look after him and cherish every moment with him. As he kissed Busters head, he said "Goodbye my little friend" then he left the room. I managed to get control again as one of the girls that work on reception came in to give me Busters tablets. When we got home about 8:30am, we started giving him his medication. We spent hours that evening researching Busters condition. Looking for herbal remedies and diets.

The afternoon of Tuesday 31/7/12 and the swelling has gone down a lot. Busters face is now back to normal, but 2 lumps remain in this throat where his lymph glands are. 1 on the right side is about a pea size, the 1 on his left side which was the biggest, is about the size of 2 bottom halves of a large egg together making a fat oval.

Now this is where things get interesting....

On that evening whilst still doing more research a thought popped into my head about a guy I used to work with. He told me about a guy that he used to deliver to that did faith healing. In shear desperation, I jumped in my car and drove to the pub he used to run. When I got there the bar man said he's no longer there, but did have his mobile number. With that jotted down, I headed home to give him a call.

Now I have never been one to believe in energy/faith healers, I have always thought of it to be fake or money making mumbo jumbo. But I'm desperate, I don't know how long we have got Buster for so I'll try anything. When I got home I gave him a call straight away, to my delight he answered and after explaining Busters situation, he said he'll be happy to work with Buster, but couldn't guarantee any results with Buster due to him never having worked with animals before. We make arrangements for his first session on Thursday 2/8/12 at 6:30pm.

We arrived at the guys apartment at 6:10pm, so I decided to take buster for a little walk around the block. We get back to the car about 6:25pm. Before we knock the door, I check Busters neck. The lumps are still there and are the same size, they haven't reduced in size since Tuesday. We knock the door and are greeted by a man named David. When we get upstairs to his apartment, we are seated and Buster is let off his lead to explore are relax. After having a chat with David for 5 minutes, he gets himself ready to start with Buster. With David sitting on the floor with Buster, with his hand on Busters throat, David sits and watches TV. After about 10 minutes David gets up to wash his hands, me and the missus looked at each other thinking "Is that it?" David tells us to give Buster 5 minutes and check his lump.

David tells us that Buster had a head ache, but generally feeling well. He then tells me to check on Busters lump. To my amazement, the oval lump had changed to a circular shape about 2.5 inches round and had gone flat, the smaller lump has gone. We are full of goose bumps, how did this just happen? David sits back down for a second time with Buster. Same again, David is just sitting watching TV and talking to us about general things. After 5 minutes he gets up and washes his hands again. 5 minutes later I'm told to check his throat, the lump is still circular and flat, but it is about 1.5 inches round. Me and the missus are gob smacked. David tells us to take Buster home, and not to give him any exercise just let him rest. Walking to the car I'm thinking "Buster, a staffy, rest? Yeah right!" I put bust in the back of the car, and he is zonked. He sleeps all the way home. Before we go to bed, I checked the lump 1 last time, it has got smaller, just under an inch.

We go to our second session on the following Monday 6/8/12 at 6:30pm. We get to David's apartment before we go in, I check his lump. It still is the same size at just under an inch. Just as before David sits on the floor with his hand on Busters throat. David tells us that this session feels easier, and not as intense. After 10 mins, David washes his hands. He then tells me to check the lump. Now this is freaky, as i gripped the lump (gently) it felt like is separated in two then reformed back into one, this didn't feel nice between the fingers, lol. David's sits down again for the next go at it. When he is finished, I check the lump. It's still the same, no change, still at just under an inch. David's tells us that Buster is exhausted and needs to go home to rest. We get home about 7:30pm. Buster is asleep on the rug for a few hours. At 9:30pm I check the lump. I can't believe what I feel, it's like the lump has gone into a fatty, squishy mass about an inch round. At 11:30pm I check the lump.... What lump?
It's vanished. All I can feel is a slightly inflamed gland, nothing attached to it! I throw my laptop on the sofa to get the missus from upstairs. When she came down to check for herself, she can't feel anything either.

Wednesday 8/8/12 we take Buster to the vets for more Prednisolone and a check up. Whilst there the surgeon scratches his head in disbelief as the lumps are gone, he couldn't understand how quick they had gone down. He can't believe the recovery that he has made. When we asked him about Busters health and quality
of life, he said he can't see way Buster can't live for another 5 years!!!

What a massive improvement from a week to a month life expectancy!!!

As I said earlier, I didn't believe in all of this energy/faith healing, but when their is something physical in front of you, and you can see it change for yourself and someone else sees the same thing, well what can I say?

Our next session is on Monday 27/8/12, so just under a week to go. We have missed 2 weeks due to David being ill.

As you can see, there is no sign of the lumps, just some loose skin where the skin was streched from the swelling.

Buster's Story Imag0122

Thank you for reading Busters story.

Last edited by cotswold on Tue Aug 21 2012, 23:26; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding pictures.)

cotswold
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Taz & Buster
Dog(s) Ages : 11 & 10
Dog Gender(s) : Both males.
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Buster's Story Empty Re: Buster's Story

Post by janey Tue Aug 21 2012, 22:53

I've said hi and I will read this post tomorrow, been a long day and I need to concentrate Smile

Looking forward to meeting you Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Tue Aug 21 2012, 23:32

i want to say "mumbo jumbo nonsense" but like you said, if theres physical proof, that even the vet cant explain, then thats brilliant! How's Buster getting on himself?

brilliant story, hope everything improves for you all Big Grin

love from Lola and me xx
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by cotswold Tue Aug 21 2012, 23:42

Hi there, Buster is doing great, thanks. He never changed in himself one bit through his ordeal. Still the typical bounce around full of life staffy. People who meet him think he is about 5-6, their faces drop when I tell them he's 10.

The most upsetting thing about it was how sudden it all came on, with him full of spirit, I knew it wasn't our time yet to say our goodbyes.

cotswold

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21 2012, 23:49

I hope Buster continues to be healthy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22 2012, 00:10

Hi there. Nice to see you.

My lab had the exact same thing, it was cancer however and returned as soon as it was removed and her meds had ran out. She was about 12 though so we didn't think it was good to keep operating and medicating her. She was my life. I hope buster heals quickly and doesn't have the same!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22 2012, 01:01

I'm not sure I believe in all of that healing stuff...certainly not with most people who do it anyway...but whatever the reason for it is, I am so glad to hear that he's doing better, and I really hope he continues to get better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22 2012, 07:53

I am so happy for you and Buster. May his good health long continue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 22 2012, 12:17

Thanks for the story , I am not a believer but who knows what I would do in the same situation , hope he continues to be healthy Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Aug 22 2012, 12:32

Wow, never give up, somewhere there is faith. You found it. thank you for sharing this with us Smile
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Aug 22 2012, 16:19

i know if i was in that position i would try any thing if it helped sash,thank you for telling Buster's story.
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Wed Aug 22 2012, 16:58

Thats a great story, god bless buster
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Aug 22 2012, 18:17

Thanks for sharing Busters story, it certainly is intriguing
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by cotswold Wed Aug 22 2012, 21:54

Thanks for the kind comments peolpe and it was a pleasure sharing it with you all.

As I said, I never believed in that kind of stuff, and I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone any different. It's just amazing how your views can change on something and what you'll actually try/do when being faced with loosing something you love and cherish.

Buster is doing great, and that's the main thing.

I'm glad I have joined this forum, seems a nice and friendly place!!! thumbs up

cotswold

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Wed Aug 22 2012, 22:55

OMG Just read your post and now im in peices as you see only 8 weeks ago I lost my beautiful girl to lymphoma.
We had been using prednisolone to try to get her into remision and give her more time but along with the side effects of the drug she was not responding. I really thought id tryed everything and now am guilt ridden to read your story maybe I could have saved my girl. Crying or Very sad
I really wish you and your boy all the luck in the world
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Aug 22 2012, 23:49

Gem she was your girl and thoughts can always be bitter sweet.

Amazing story, but still sad by reading it Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Aug 23 2012, 14:36

I've been having a think about this one and maybe David has helped to reduce the swelling of Busters lymph glands in his neck. The article below may be of interest to you. In particular the paragraph heading Swollen Lymph Nodes in Dogs Treatments.

I am very pleased to hear that Buster is now doing so well.

http://www.pethealthandcare.com/dog-health/swollen-lymph-nodes-in-dogs.html

I have moved this post to Health Issues as you may get more viewers there.

Last edited by kathytake2 on Thu Aug 23 2012, 14:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : moved post to Health Issues)
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Kandn Thu Aug 23 2012, 15:09

Such a beautiful story, thanks for sharing. I hope Buster is still getting better angel

Kandn
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nike
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Thu Aug 23 2012, 15:24