Hair loss on 18 week old blue puppy

4 posters

Go down

Hair loss on 18 week old blue puppy Empty Hair loss on 18 week old blue puppy

Post by leecollins4121 Fri Jan 07 2011, 19:49

Hello can anyboby please give me some advice,my 18 week old blue staffy pup has started to loose a small amount of hair on his right leg,at first i thought it was a callus but in the last day or 2 its gradually getting larger.Its not red or sore he isnt bothered by it either,it just doesnt look nice.Any advice would be gratetly recieved...thanx
leecollins4121
leecollins4121
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : manny
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Hair loss on 18 week old blue puppy Empty Re: Hair loss on 18 week old blue puppy

Post by gem Fri Jan 07 2011, 21:05

They are renowed for skin irritations a hot spot will start as like a hard scab it also may be exma or all sdogs have small amounts of the mange mite it might be worth a trip to the vets if it goes. Any worse Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Hair loss on 18 week old blue puppy Empty Re: Hair loss on 18 week old blue puppy

Post by Guest Fri Jan 07 2011, 21:08

I would suggest the Vet's Milly had this and the vet gave me some cream, it is all cleared up now and the hair has grown back

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 07 2011, 21:10

My first guess would be demodex...so off to the vets for a skin scrape.

Easily treated the sooner it's diagnosed.

x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 07 2011, 22:06

maybe try some sudocream.. that seems to work for my sisters Rotti

Back to top Go down

Post by leecollins4121 Sat Jan 08 2011, 12:19

many thanks for the replies,manny is booked n at the vets monday for a skin scrap.The vet seems to think its demodex..so hopefully will be back to his gorgeous self soon..thanx again
leecollins4121
leecollins4121

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09 2011, 11:07

If it is, it's really quick & easy to treat as long as it's caught early on.

Back to top Go down

Post by leecollins4121 Thu Jan 13 2011, 10:19

just a quick update,mannys skin scraps came back as demodex,the vet just gave me drops for the back of his neck. I asked the vet if i needed cream and or shampoo for him but she said the drops would surfice ,has anybody else had this treatment for demodex and was is successfull..many thanx
leecollins4121
leecollins4121

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13 2011, 10:21

I've heard of it for a dog that only has a very small amount of hair loss, and if I remember rightly it worked quite well. It's less harsh than the shampoos, and some of the creams (not all) can take an age to work & are messy. Could also be the age of your pup. The vet might not want to use the other remedies at such a young age.

Back to top Go down

Post by leecollins4121 Thu Jan 13 2011, 10:25

thanx for the prompt reply,it is a small area the vet did say it was a very mild case so hopefully it will be gone soon..thanx
leecollins4121
leecollins4121

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13 2011, 10:46

Let us know how quickly (or otherwise!) it works. It's always interesting to hear about different methods of treating things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Jan 13 2011, 15:56

Caryll wrote:I've heard of it for a dog that only has a very small amount of hair loss, and if I remember rightly it worked quite well. It's less harsh than the shampoos, and some of the creams (not all) can take an age to work & are messy. Could also be the age of your pup. The vet might not want to use the other remedies at such a young age.

Generally as the puppy's immunity increases he will be able to fight off the mites himself. A spot-on treatment generally works well to stop the mites for 4-6weeks.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13 2011, 15:58

Nosipho wrote:
Caryll wrote:I've heard of it for a dog that only has a very small amount of hair loss, and if I remember rightly it worked quite well. It's less harsh than the shampoos, and some of the creams (not all) can take an age to work & are messy. Could also be the age of your pup. The vet might not want to use the other remedies at such a young age.

Generally as the puppy's immunity increases he will be able to fight off the mites himself. A spot-on treatment generally works well to stop the mites for 4-6weeks.

Thanks, that's useful to know!

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Jan 13 2011, 20:57

was it stronghold that the vet gave you
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by leecollins4121 Sat Jan 15 2011, 12:19

hello,no its called bayer advocate spot on,since putting it on him last monday it hasnt got any worse,and u can just see the hair growing back,or at least i think so...lol
leecollins4121
leecollins4121

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15 2011, 12:45

i use advacate every month but memphis still got the bald spots advocate will do nothin for the dermadex

Back to top Go down

Post by leecollins4121 Sat Jan 15 2011, 14:41

there are different types of advocate i use the general one on my two dogs for fleas,but this advocate is specifically for demodex, or at least thats what the leaflet inside reads...
leecollins4121
leecollins4121

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat Jan 15 2011, 17:12

If you can see the hair growing back then its working then
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by leecollins4121 Sat Jan 15 2011, 17:45

i think its growing back but my girlfriends isnt so sure,but we both agree on it is definatly not got ay worse,will keep u all informed...
leecollins4121
leecollins4121

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15 2011, 21:30

I am sure the hair will be growing back we could not tell at first with Milly then all of a sudden we couldn't find the patch.

Back to top Go down

Post by leecollins4121 Sat Jan 15 2011, 21:57

how long did it take from when u started the treatment? im checking manny constantly..lol
leecollins4121
leecollins4121

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15 2011, 21:59

leecollins4121 wrote:how long did it take from when u started the treatment? im checking manny constantly..lol

not to long couple of weeks I think and you know wot the say about a watched pot but I was the same with Milly lol

Back to top Go down

Post by leecollins4121 Sat Jan 15 2011, 23:09

Thanx its driving me mad tbh...lol
leecollins4121
leecollins4121

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15 2011, 23:14

leecollins4121 wrote:Thanx its driving me mad tbh...lol

I was like that I am such a worry wuss Milly has a little patch on her back leg that I thought was the same but the vet said it was a small scar from either her Mum or one of her siblings poor baby, I no it is easy for me to say now but try not to worry it will grow back and will be fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 16 2011, 12:47

blues arnt prone to any skin issues or anything else more than another colour, all puppies have a high risk of dermodex as they system cannot fight it off until they mature, the only sure way of clearing it is 5 or 6 baths over 5 or 6 weeks in the real nasty stuff{typical ive forgot the name}....

Back to top Go down

Post by leecollins4121 Tue Jan 18 2011, 16:23

When i mentioned the shampoo to the vet she said that she didint want to give me the shampoo as it is very harsh to use on a young pup,and as manny had such a mild case she said the spot on would deal with it...
leecollins4121
leecollins4121

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 18 2011, 16:25

ozbod1 wrote:blues arnt prone to any skin issues or anything else more than another colour, all puppies have a high risk of dermodex as they system cannot fight it off until they mature, the only sure way of clearing it is 5 or 6 baths over 5 or 6 weeks in the real nasty stuff{typical ive forgot the name}....

That's actually quite wrong, blues in most breeds have a tendency to skin problems - blue staffords, bullies, gsd's, dobermans all suffer more from skin complaints than other colours (except, perhaps, whites).

Back to top Go down

Post by leecollins4121 Tue Jan 18 2011, 16:37

I was also told that blues r prone to skin conditions,just as much as whites...
leecollins4121
leecollins4121

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 18 2011, 17:50

mmm no idea about other breeds but this myth about blue staffs suffering this and that is an old wives tale, yes sure they may get dermodex as a puppy but so can any colour, looked after correctly there is nothing that you need worry about more than any colour-except maybe there are a lot of bad examples about in blue{my own inc}..never got people worrying about the white thing either we had a white for 14 years-the only thing we had to watch was him being in the sun too long but thats just common sense? i also owned a solid black for 15 years 1 hour in the sun and it hit him hard-a problem i havent come across with my bluebaby.....i tend not to listen "what people say" and go off my own experiance which upto now touch wood etc is my others spent more time in the vets than my current one......only downside to mine is everyone wants to stop and have a look at him which slows my daily walks down considerably..........eitherway we are all far more likely to be at the vets with a staffy with bad ears or a staffy that thought it could run straight through a fence or a staffy that thought taking on 2 rotties was good fun as opposed to skin problems so why worry?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 18 2011, 18:36

as it goes i would like to add to that and put my hands up slightly and say with the way things are i suppose its possible for blues to have more issues than others in the sense that every tom * and harry is trying to breed them for a fast £££ so as a result i would guess heath checks get bypassed blues get put with blues and any blue will do came along? not sure as i have zero interest in breeding so im guessing but if what i guess is correct then its possible but not really down to the colour more to do with stupid greedy humans....

Back to top Go down

Post by Holsten Tue Jan 18 2011, 18:46

The shampoo is Aludex ,and it is awfull stuff ,was prescribed it when Holsten had dermodex ,was in same spot on rear hind leg ,about size of 10p piece,took only 3 baths out of one bottle and all clear given on scrapes ,have him and jaydee on Advocate now ,never had a problem since .Would say though that the Aludex is an awfull treatment ,it's an insecticide,highly toxic and stinks like hell ,had to wear gloves ,mask apron etc and he had to have collar of shame on whilst it dried ,but it done the trick !
Holsten
Holsten
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Holsten and Jaydee
Dog Gender(s) : male and female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 18 2011, 19:07

ahh yes thats the stuff-ever likely i was ill serveral times whilst using it...pmsl....note to self...must start reading instructions....

Back to top Go down

Post by Holsten Tue Jan 18 2011, 19:42

Lmao Big Grin
Holsten
Holsten

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Holsten and Jaydee
Dog Gender(s) : male and female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 18 2011, 20:40

ozbod1 wrote:mmm no idea about other breeds but this myth about blue staffs suffering this and that is an old wives tale, yes sure they may get dermodex as a puppy but so can any colour, looked after correctly there is nothing that you need worry about more than any colour-except maybe there are a lot of bad examples about in blue{my own inc}..never got people worrying about the white thing either we had a white for 14 years-the only thing we had to watch was him being in the sun too long but thats just common sense? i also owned a solid black for 15 years 1 hour in the sun and it hit him hard-a problem i havent come across with my bluebaby.....i tend not to listen "what people say" and go off my own experiance which upto now touch wood etc is my others spent more time in the vets than my current one......only downside to mine is everyone wants to stop and have a look at him which slows my daily walks down considerably..........eitherway we are all far more likely to be at the vets with a staffy with bad ears or a staffy that thought it could run straight through a fence or a staffy that thought taking on 2 rotties was good fun as opposed to skin problems so why worry?

Unfortunately it is true. The dilution of pigment can lead to skin sensitivity. Not in all cases, but the problem is there. You just have to be aware.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 18 2011, 21:09

yep i understand-dont know if youre right or its proven but im going off my own experiances ive seen nothing different or to be worried about in my own white-black blue other than badly breed ones i wouldnt be worried.......on the off chance i was concerned about it as a staffy owner theres 99 more important things to worry about 1st....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 18 2011, 21:16

Absolutely! As I said, you just need to be aware.

Back to top Go down

Post by leecollins4121 Thu Feb 10 2011, 12:32

just a update,its been just under a month now since manny was diagnosed with demodex,and its gwd news all his hair on his leg has grown back..thanx once again for all the help.... Big Grin
leecollins4121
leecollins4121

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 10 2011, 13:13

leecollins4121 wrote:just a update,its been just under a month now since manny was diagnosed with demodex,and its gwd news all his hair on his leg has grown back..thanx once again for all the help.... Big Grin

So glad to hear you are all sorted Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 10 2011, 13:15

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down