Tips for new baby with puppy

2 posters

Go down

Tips for new baby with puppy Empty Tips for new baby with puppy

Post by lucypup Thu Jan 06 2011, 09:35

Our staffy is 6.5 months old and really good with toddlers and children. Her only negative, is if she licks them, they can fall over.

My wife is due next month with our first born, and lucy will be 8 months old. I have been told to let her sniff the baby blanket and do not let her into the room for the first month (dog whisperer).

I probably need to teach her that kids faces are off limits and no licking ?

lucypup
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Tips for new baby with puppy Empty Re: Tips for new baby with puppy

Post by Guest Thu Jan 06 2011, 09:37

She needs to get used to having the baby around from day one, so don't lock her out of the room, she won't understand and will think she has done something wrong.

You will be amazed how dogs adapt to babies, esp if they are already good with kids.

You could have her on lead to start off with whil your wife holds the baby.

x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 06 2011, 10:11

The main thing is, don't stress too much about it. If you do, she'll sense it and it will make her nervous around the baby. You know she's no harm to kids so the worse she'll do is give the baby a lick right?

Let her have a sniff, if she goes to lick, push her away and tell her firmly No Lick! Or something to that affect, but don't be too stern with her because she'll associate the baby with her being told off. Best to stat practising the No Lick comand now o she knows straight away what it means when baby comes along.

Good luck, and congrats! Enjoy you baby and your puppy, they will both grow up waaaay too fast! Smile

Last edited by Shontelle on Thu Jan 06 2011, 10:13; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I carnt spel proply, har de har har)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 06 2011, 10:26

I often disagree with the dog whisperer I'm afraid. Keeping the dog away from the baby for a month will frustrate her, and may make her jealous - she'll know something is taking your attention away, but she won't understand what.

As said above, introduce from day one. Stay calm & quiet, have your wife sit down & hold the baby on her lap & let your pup approach slowly & quietly. Let her sniff the baby, and then tell her 'come away, now' in a gentle but firm voice, and then lead her away. Repeat this often, it'll bore you to tears but it's worth it in the long run.

You should also start teaching your pup not to jump up at anyone right now. She won't understand being able to jump up at adults but not being able to jump up at children. The easiest way is if she jumps up at anyone tell them to turn their backs on her immediately & pay no atention at all until she's on all four paws!

Letting the pup sniff a blanket that has been wrapped around the baby is a good idea, but it's only of value if your wife is going to spend a couple of days in hospital, otehrwise you may as well start the introduction straight away!

By the way, congratulations & good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by lucypup Thu Jan 06 2011, 10:33

Great tips everyone... She will be a nanny dog Smile And has also been around a 7 month baby and she was perfect. I do agree that I need to master the no jumping up on anyone...

lucypup

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 06 2011, 10:42

Exciting times, though. Do you know if the baby will be a boy or a girl?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 06 2011, 12:08

I pretty much agree with what has been said as well. Although i wouldnt allow her in the babies room at all i just donr think its worth the risk, i would also put a gate on the babies room as well. Put that might just be me lol i dont let my dogs upstairs let alone in bedrooms haha! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Thu Jan 06 2011, 12:10

Oooh exciting, so many puppies and babies being born at the moment I'm getting quite broody l-o-v-e
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 06 2011, 12:16

blaze666 wrote:I pretty much agree with what has been said as well. Although i wouldnt allow her in the babies room at all i just donr think its worth the risk, i would also put a gate on the babies room as well. Put that might just be me lol i dont let my dogs upstairs let alone in bedrooms haha! x

I certainly wouldn't let her in the baby's room on her own, and a baby gate would be a good idea as you can't watch them every second of the day! The only problem with that is a staff can jump way higher than a baby gate if it has a mind to! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 06 2011, 13:26

My gf is ready to go in 5 weeks but its on the cards to go sooner... and will let you's no how a get on but kuma will be aloud around baby obvs with one person with her at all times she can sniff no licking and just keep kuma calm and let us get some sleep ha !

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down