Puppy rejecting food? What else to try?

3 posters

Go down

Puppy rejecting food? What else to try? Empty Puppy rejecting food? What else to try?

Post by NicoleLouise Thu Jul 12 2012, 00:06

He was originally on beta puppy food when I had him, so stuck to that with professional advice. I kept it watered down soft enough for him to eat. Then he refused it, so went back for further professional advice and was told to gently ease in small amounts of specfic sachet foods, with no artifical additives etc. He's been eating bits, but far from what he needs to be eating.

No idea what to try him with as he's only 6 weeks old. Anyone else have a puppy that started rejecting their food? Cost is not a problem, any ideas are welcome and appreciated. Just want him on the right track, he's had no problems up until now, a few mouthfuls and he walks away leaving the rest untouched..

NicoleLouise
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Blaze & Buster
Dog(s) Ages : 16 weeks & 2 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Puppy rejecting food? What else to try? Empty Re: Puppy rejecting food? What else to try?

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 00:28

You could try him on some boiled or scrambled eggs, tin of rice pudding, cooked chicken, raw mince meat these are all foods i would give if for example he was at mine.
At 6 wks he does need to eat, and he cant afford to miss meals at his age.
But being that the world outside the puppy den is so exciting with places to explore and new games to play his favoring these instead of eating.
Hand feeding goes against all the rules with dogs, but as his so young and its important he eats you may have to do this to at least get one good meal down him. Or like i did once, use the dry kibble in a game.
I would sit on the floor and roll a few bits of dry kibble across the floor, my then fussy eating pup thought it was a brilliant game chasing after them and gobbling them up ... bingo one meal down the hatchet whistling

Back to top Go down

Puppy rejecting food? What else to try? Empty Re: Puppy rejecting food? What else to try?

Post by janey Thu Jul 12 2012, 00:29

Never had one so young. Sardines are always devoured, not sure for that age though Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 00:36

Agree with Denise if you make a game out of it that should work

Back to top Go down

Post by NicoleLouise Thu Jul 12 2012, 01:52

Thank you all, will have a go at all these ideas. Hopefully he picks up his eating habits as soon as possible! Smile

NicoleLouise

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Blaze & Buster
Dog(s) Ages : 16 weeks & 2 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 02:01

hi im also with denise on this one hand feeding is a no no. but with such a young pup needs must i had a sort of stage with my boy when he was tiny i hand fed a couple of times then put the food in his bowl pick out and feed him a couple of times then put food in bowl and hold up to his mouth for him to eat out a few times then final put on floor and hopefully he will carry on from there
i hope this is of some help to you thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Thu Jul 12 2012, 09:38

My pup was on beta puppy from 4 weeks, it's not good food at all, it's one of the crapiest to be honest my pup did not do well on it, he didn't gain weight, spine and ribs showing, soon as I got him home at 8 wks I switched him to Wainwrights trays, he can't get enough if it.

So the tldr version IMO would be to get him on a better food.

If u can't or don't want to right now them putting like a tasty topping on the food would help. Sardines are fine. Tiny bit of natural yogurt. Raw egg.

Let us know how u get on x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down