Marking territory - in the house - advice please

2 posters

Go down

Marking territory - in the house - advice please Empty Marking territory - in the house - advice please

Post by Chantel Tue Jul 10 2012, 08:42

Hey guys

I need some advice. Maska has now started marking his territory... IN THE HOUSE
He is 11 months old, and our contract with the breeder states that we are not allowed to neuter for at least 2 years, so that leaves me with another 13 months of peeing in the house, just when Loki has now been fully trained to do her business outside.

Maska has never pee'd in the house as a pup, and I understand he is getting to that age in which marking comes natural.
We have a cleaning product for dog wee, but it is not a deterrent. Does anyone know what we can use to prevent or deter Maska from marking in the house. I cannot watch him at all times, and the sneaky bugger does it in places I wouldn't even think to look.

Any advise would be welcome. Feel stupid, here I am doling out advise to new puppy owners, and I don't even know what to do with my own dog. I dont want to s
Chantel
Chantel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maska & Loki
Dog(s) Ages : Maska 1 year and a bit & Loki 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 127

Back to top Go down

Marking territory - in the house - advice please Empty Re: Marking territory - in the house - advice please

Post by Guest Tue Jul 10 2012, 09:22

Don't feel bad for asking for advice. No one can know everything and I still get advice all the time on the areas I'm not as knowledgable on. I can't be of any help on this one though since I've always had girl dogs.

Back to top Go down

Marking territory - in the house - advice please Empty Re: Marking territory - in the house - advice please

Post by Kathy Tue Jul 10 2012, 09:29

After reading your post I cant believe how lucky we have been with Rocky. He is a rescue dog and has been with us for just over 18 months now. He has always been very good in the house and has only peed inside once when we couldn't get him outside quick enough. He just made a little puddle on the backdoor mat.

I would suggest back to basics with letting him out every hour to see if he wants to go. Make sure the area he has marked inside is cleaned thoroughly.

Sorry cannot be of more help.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 10 2012, 09:41

Chantel wrote:we are not allowed to neuter for at least 2 years, so that leaves me with another 13 months of peeing in the house

No, you don't. Honestly, it'll pass. He's got to that hormone raging age, and you have a new pup in the house - he's making sure the little upstart knows his place. All you have to do is show him his place!

If you see him sniffing, or lining himself up for a pee, just say "Ah Ah!" and take him into the garden. If there is a specific place (or places) where he's marking, just make sure that they are cleaned properly. I don't much like the dog pee cleaners you get from the pet shops, I always feel they leave a smell that dogs seems to like, which rather defeats the object. Try a solution of biological washing liquid - the cheaper the better!

Back to top Go down

Post by Chantel Tue Jul 10 2012, 10:12

Thanks Caryll

I'm sure it will pass. All our previous dogs were neutered at his age, so never really had the problem of marking. Its just stange, since he never did his business inside, not even as a pup. At least he listens when I tell him no, or out, it just the ones that he does undetected Big Grin
I will try a biological washing solution, but the "pee cleaner" seems to help for now - he hasn't tried going back to a previous spot.
Think I just felt a bit deflated today, as Loki has now gone 2 weeks without making "mistakes" in the house, and I thought we were passed this. Guess I should practive what I preach - being patient Smile
Chantel
Chantel

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maska & Loki
Dog(s) Ages : Maska 1 year and a bit & Loki 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 127

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 10 2012, 10:18

It often happens when you introduce another dog into the house, especially when the first dog is under two years old. Just back to basics & he'll setlle back into the old routine very quickly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 11 2012, 12:36

Personally I dont believe that marking is totally hormone related. More of an instinct thing. Tyson was neutered young but yet he does display marking behaviour around other males.

Try diluting some surgical spirits in water in a spray bottle and use to remove the pee smell (after cleaning). I get surgical spirits from the pharmacy at a reduced price as it is 'expired'. Works a trick and is cheaper by far than the branded ones.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down