+3
Kathy
Galadriel
just blade
7 posters

Go down

My staffy is overweight Empty My staffy is overweight

Post by just blade Thu Jun 28 2012, 23:19

hi am new on here .. just a little advice please .. my staffy is over weight, is it healthy enough to feed a tin of tuna a day with proplan biscuits ?

just blade
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : blade
Dog(s) Ages : 3 and half
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

My staffy is overweight Empty Re: My staffy is overweight

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 00:00

Hi & My staffy is overweight Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

My staffy is overweight Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
My staffy is overweight Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
My staffy is overweight Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
My staffy is overweight Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
My staffy is overweight Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
My staffy is overweight Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
My staffy is overweight Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 00:03

Im not sure about tinned tuna, most people use it to get their dogs to eat but i don't know if anyone feeds it as a daily diet. Its quite high in fat due to the oils in it, the salt water one is quite high in salt.

If your dog is overweight, i would exercise more and cut out and treats/table scraps. the proplan biscuits will be fine and if your dog wont eat them alone you can try some low calorie wet dog food.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 00:22

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Equi wrote:Im not sure about tinned tuna, most people use it to get their dogs to eat but i don't know if anyone feeds it as a daily diet. Its quite high in fat due to the oils in it, the salt water one is quite high in salt.

If your dog is overweight, i would exercise more and cut out and treats/table scraps. the proplan biscuits will be fine and if your dog wont eat them alone you can try some low calorie wet dog food.

I agree.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 01:04

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. I agree with the advice given as well. You could also use sliced vegetables as a substitute for treats

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29 2012, 07:04

Hi and welcome to the forum from me and the kids Big Grin
Can you tell us a little more about yourself and your dog ?? Has he just got overweight with you ?? Have you taken him on like this ?? How much exercise does he currently get ? It will just help us appreciate what's going on , thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Fri Jun 29 2012, 10:38

Hi Smile

I've just replied to this here - https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t19983-fish4dogs-and-sardines

Galadriel wrote:
just blade wrote: wave hi am new on here.. my staffy is overweight . is it healthy enough to give him his proplan biscuis and a tin of tuna ?

Hi Smile

I'm not a fan of Pro Plan TBH, it doesn't have enough meat and too much grain IMO. Tuna shouldn't be given on a regular basis due to the risk of heavy metal toxicity although it's fine every now and then.

If your dog is overweight then my advice would be to find a food high in animal protein and low in grain/carbs. Carbs tend to be stored as fat in dogs and prevent the protein in the diet from being used as an energy source.

Could you afford something like Applaws?

Do you feed lots of treats?

Sorry, that should've been prevents the fats in the diet being used as the primary energy source...

Galadriel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Jun 29 2012, 15:00

Please take a look at the chart on the link below, just click on click to enter and click on the first picture the dog. it may help you to determine if your dog is overweight:

http://www.pfma.org.uk/petometer.html
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Fri Jun 29 2012, 16:34

Galadriel wrote:Hi Smile

I've just replied to this here - https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t19983-fish4dogs-and-sardines

Galadriel wrote:
just blade wrote: wave hi am new on here.. my staffy is overweight . is it healthy enough to give him his proplan biscuis and a tin of tuna ?

Hi Smile

I'm not a fan of Pro Plan TBH, it doesn't have enough meat and too much grain IMO. Tuna shouldn't be given on a regular basis due to the risk of heavy metal toxicity although it's fine every now and then.

If your dog is overweight then my advice would be to find a food high in animal protein and low in grain/carbs. Carbs tend to be stored as fat in dogs and prevent the protein in the diet from being used as an energy source.

Sorry, that should've been prevents the fats in the diet being used as the primary energy source...

I was going to say that about the mercury! Can't add any more Smile
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Fri Jun 29 2012, 19:44

Nosipho wrote:
Galadriel wrote:Hi Smile

Galadriel wrote:

Hi Smile

I was going to say that about the mercury! Can't add any more Smile

thumbs up

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat Jun 30 2012, 11:16

Tuna is FAR too protien rich to be given every day, and isnt a way of trimming a dog thats over weight, a couple times a week is fine mixed with a good quality kibble as a supplement is good though Wink

Excercise, excercise, excercise, and good food given in the right amounts, at the right times, and the dog will do the rest Big Grin Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Sat Jun 30 2012, 16:48

What you want to start doing is weighting your dogs food its alot easier to adjust the amount for lossing weight, but like Andy said plenty of exercise...
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx322010 Sat Sep 08 2012, 22:47

As said above, re-evaluate his food and food amount. Not saying that it is BUT it could be the wrong food for him or too much. Maybe turn up his activity levels a notch, longer walks.

Onyx receives only small portions of fruit, apple, as a treat. That's possibly 3x a month. Atm he gets 1.25 total cup a day on evo and weighs 38-39lbs stands 15.5. He knows praise is satisfying enough just for him. He is on a food I read about, keep in mind k/cal and cal per cup cause none are identical and vastly vary. Onyx is rough straight up brutal when he plays and is harder working out. And I love him for it, bold, fearless, totally reliable and relentless.

Get on a food you read up and think would be more benificial with working him out, he will solve it all

Onyx322010
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Onyx
Dog(s) Ages : 2.5 yr
Dog Gender(s) : Male/intact
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content