dave g
Kathy
janey
Steve
Chantel
Miz_eMMM
16 posters

Go down

Intro - Pepper (Staffy X German Shepherd) and her humans Empty Intro - Pepper (Staffy X German Shepherd) and her humans

Post by Miz_eMMM Thu Jun 14 2012, 05:38

We've had Pepper for 2 days so far. We adopted her from a family who had rescued her from the RSPCA. Her history sounds like a sad one ... as a pup she was found with her litter-mates abandoned in a house and the person who found them knew the owner and apparently there was not a good start to their lives.

After she was rescued Pepper went to a few Obedience Foundation Course classes at the RSPCA but didn't complete her training. Unfortunately the people who had her couldn't keep her as she is quite the escape artist and a bit too rambunctious for their baby.

I've noticed that though she is very affectionate she is also very submissive, eager to please and has been exhibiting some other behaviours which could be cause for concern. An example is that I raised my voice to tell her "Off" when she jumped on the couch (we have a cloth sofa so I'd rather she spent her time in the house on her bed) and she did a little pee on the rug - another is that she snuck into our bedroom and peed on our bed.

I've never had a staffy before (I've had a labrador X and we've fostered a Malnoise for 7 months) and I'm not sure whether some of her characteristics are due to being staffy or whether they're due to her past or whether they're due to her just being a very submissive female. She's a lovely girl and I'm trying currently to book her into training so she can finish her foundation obedience classes and look at further training down the line.

Intro - Pepper (Staffy X German Shepherd) and her humans 17835011

Miz_eMMM
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Intro - Pepper (Staffy X German Shepherd) and her humans Empty Re: Intro - Pepper (Staffy X German Shepherd) and her humans

Post by Chantel Thu Jun 14 2012, 07:47

Hi and Welcome from Maska, Loki and I

I think some of the behaviour is due to her past. Although Staffs are brutes, they have kind and gentle hearts. You will have to work on positive reinforcement. Just give it some time, you've only had her for 2 days now. She might still be nervous in the new surroundings, with new owners. She does not yet understand that you will love and care for her.

Good luck
Chantel
Chantel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maska & Loki
Dog(s) Ages : Maska 1 year and a bit & Loki 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 127

Back to top Go down

Intro - Pepper (Staffy X German Shepherd) and her humans Empty Re: Intro - Pepper (Staffy X German Shepherd) and her humans

Post by Steve Thu Jun 14 2012, 09:51

Hi & Intro - Pepper (Staffy X German Shepherd) and her humans Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Intro - Pepper (Staffy X German Shepherd) and her humans Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Intro - Pepper (Staffy X German Shepherd) and her humans Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Intro - Pepper (Staffy X German Shepherd) and her humans Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Intro - Pepper (Staffy X German Shepherd) and her humans Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Intro - Pepper (Staffy X German Shepherd) and her humans Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Intro - Pepper (Staffy X German Shepherd) and her humans Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Intro - Pepper (Staffy X German Shepherd) and her humans Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jun 14 2012, 09:57

Hi and welcome from me and Moo Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14 2012, 09:59

Hi & welcome.

Pepper's a pretty little thing, isn't she?

I'd say that her behaviour (the peeing) is partly her age & partly her background. She's probably feeling very anxious at the moment - she's had 4 homes already, and she must wonder if this one is for good or whether she'll be shoved on again. Sad Add to that her submissiveness & you have an unhappy little girl.

Give her a little time to settle & try to train her with positive reinforcement rather than a telling off. ie if she jumps on the sofa, don't tell her "no", get a toy or a treat & tempt her off. Then loads of praise.

She will improve once she atarts to settle in & trust you. She just needs a bit of patience & tlc!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14 2012, 10:07

Hi and welcome. Give her time yet. She is still very unsettled. Walking with her and basic training will go a long way to forming a strong bond between you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Jun 14 2012, 14:09

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Sounds like her behaviour is due to her background sadly. The peeing would be due to nervousness. Please give her the time to adjust to her new surroundings and settle into a new routine.

She will also need some time to bond with you as her new owner. Playing is a great way to do this and will reinforce her trust in you. After time a game of hide and seek would be great fun but only ofter she has that trust in you.

Have fun and with the training session try to end on a good note with lots of praise for something you know she can do well.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Thu Jun 14 2012, 19:17

welcome Big Grin
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Thu Jun 14 2012, 20:00

hia from me and sasha Smile
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14 2012, 20:01

Hi and welcome from me, Millie and Bella Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14 2012, 20:13

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. I would also attribute her behaviour to her past and being anxious. She should settle in soon enough and try to use positive reinforcement for training methods. Exercise both mental and physical are also extemely important.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14 2012, 20:21

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Thu Jun 14 2012, 21:52

Hello and Welcome from Zac and me Smile

Irene

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zac
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Miz_eMMM Fri Jun 15 2012, 05:25

Thank you everyone! Smile As I've never owned a staffy X or a female pup and the other dogs I've been around have always been confident bold boys I was worried about how to best support her. I called the RSPCA animal training unit the day after she escaped and they talked to me about confidence building exercises and training and are sending me lots of information. We know we need to have patience with her and we're willing to give her all the love and support we can. We'll be enrolling her into training in a few weeks after she's had a chance to settle a little. She didn't manage to escape a second time and the trainer I spoke to suggested making her work for her daily nutrition by placing kongs filled with food around the yard so she needs to seek them, giving her a frozen bone, placing some long lasting treats like pigs ears around the yard etc. to keep her occupied while we're at work. She was overjoyed to see me when I got home yesterday and she's a lovely affectionate girl (wants to give us kisses all the time). We intend to be her forever home and we're going to work with her until she's a confident, happy dog. Smile Smile

Miz_eMMM

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Fri Jun 15 2012, 12:04

Hello and welcome to the forum from me the wife and marley
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Fri Jun 15 2012, 19:08

Hello and welcome aboard Smile
Dan
Dan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Jack - Max
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years - 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male - Male
Support total : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 29 2012, 11:35

Sorry I missed you first time around

Hello and welcome from me and the kids Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev13 Sun Jul 29 2012, 17:17

Hello and welcome...dont think ive seen a staff x german shepard before.hmmm

sure its because of her past and the stress over the last few weeks.
hope she settles in ok Smile
Kev13
Kev13
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Missy
Dog(s) Ages : 2 D.O.B = Nov 5th 2009
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by lisa-marie Fri Oct 05 2012, 20:09

Hi,
She is gorgeous, i have a german shephard x staff Kyra, she is 9wks old an same colour as Pepper have been looking on line as wanted to see what she would be like as she got older if she is anything like Pepper she is going to be lovely looking girl Smile
lisa-marie
lisa-marie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kyra
Dog(s) Ages : 9wks

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomos 2 Sat Oct 06 2012, 00:19

Aw, Pepper is lovely, our neighbours have a german shepherd cross staff and she is the sweetest girl ever, do think the weeing is down to nerves. Time and patience and lots of love will provide all the healing medicine she needs! Welcome! Big Grin
Thomos 2
Thomos 2

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : enzo & enya
Dog(s) Ages : 6months
Dog Gender(s) : male & female
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06 2012, 16:07

hi from me and the boys

Back to top Go down

Post by farmgirl Sat Oct 06 2012, 17:44

Hi and a big welcome from Kia and me,
farmgirl
farmgirl

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Kia
Dog(s) Ages : 15 months approx
Support total : 104

Back to top Go down

Post by kaztaz Sat Oct 06 2012, 19:09

hi and welcome from me and licks from troy Big Grin poor baby girl glad she has round her happy ever after Smile
kaztaz
kaztaz

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : troy
Dog(s) Ages : 12 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Sat Oct 06 2012, 22:38

she sounds like a sweetheart, I'm sure with love and some structure she'll settle in.

Those are my 2 favorite breeds, nice to see a cross of the two
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down