goldie87
Kathy
janey
Nikki.89
8 posters

Go down

Crying Help me with my Staffy PLEASE!!

Post by Nikki.89 Tue Jun 12 2012, 05:14

Hi, I have a one year old English Staffy (male).
He is a beautiful dog but we are having some problems with him. He chews everything! My husband made him a Kennel and we put a new bed in there with some cosy blankets and he has ripped apart his bed and the blankets. (This isn’t the first time he had ripped apart his bedding either) We have our Christmas tree in the back shed and he has managed to slide the door across and get our tree out. He has chewed it to bits. We have told him off a number of times but he is just not learning. If it’s not this it will be something else. I’m very frustrating with him and have no idea what to do to get him to stop.
He NEVER listens. Does anyone have any advice for me to get him to stop?

Nikki.89
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel
Dog(s) Ages : 1 Year
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: Help me with my Staffy PLEASE!!

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 06:33

Is he getting really good walks , I will say it because Steve our admin won't be out of bed yet (sorry Steve Blushing ) but a tired Staffy is a good Staffy. You also need to make sure he has plenty of good chew toys

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 06:34

Oh and welcome to the forum from me and the kids Smile

Hi & Help me with my Staffy PLEASE!! Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Help me with my Staffy PLEASE!! Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Help me with my Staffy PLEASE!! Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Help me with my Staffy PLEASE!! Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Help me with my Staffy PLEASE!! Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Help me with my Staffy PLEASE!! Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Help me with my Staffy PLEASE!! Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Help me with my Staffy PLEASE!! Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jun 12 2012, 09:28

Some dogs are just chewers and need to have things locked tight so they can't get to them!

As said, have lots of toys to chew on, Caryll would suggest stag bars there great! Lots of mental stimulation also. As for the blankets, forget nice snug ones and just get cheap ones from a charity shop so it doesn't matter if he shreds them. You can also try spraying things with repellent so he doesn't want to chew them. It could also be seperation anxiety, how long is he left for whilst he does this?

Please don't get frustrated, easier said than done I know. Hiya and welcome from me and Moo Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Jun 12 2012, 09:31

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

It could be seperation anxiety, Staffies are known for wanting to be us 24/7 and if he is shut outside on his own he will be missing you.

You could try putting one of your old t-shirts or a top (so long as it still smells of you) in his bed.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 10:17

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. Plenty of exerise and toys. Repellant for the things you don't want chewed and a hard plastic bed with old blankets is what we do. Works for us most of the time

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue Jun 12 2012, 10:21

I've always sprayed white vinegar on anything I don't want Zeus to chew and it works everytime, he smells it, sneezes and doesn't go near it again!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 10:27

Hi & welcome!

I know what you're going through, believe me, I have a powerful, serial chewer/destroyer in my EBT.

The only problem with spraying bedding is that he won't want to go to bed! Big Grin

Does he destroy thing all the time, or only when he's alone? How long have you had him? When you say he has a kennel, is it inside or outside?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 17:55

You dont mention whether you walk him at all or whether you have tried going to training classes. Staffies need a lot of attention to excercise and discipline as well as plenty of human company and love.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Tue Jun 12 2012, 18:49

Agree with all the above. Just telling him off isn't enough. You have to give him an alternative he likes better. Tire him out with lots of excercise (I know it can be difficult but it is worth it) and give him fantastic alternatives like Nylabones, Stag Bars, Kongs and remember to rotate them so he doesn't get bored with them. If he has a kennel, you can give a raw meaty bone to him if you are going out and most likely he will leave the kennel alone- he will prefer the treat.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 20:57

Hi & welcome tot he forum
My dog also liked to chew the stuffing out of his beds.
I bought him this 3 months ago and he hasn't chewed it once. Due to it being raised off the floor they can't chew it while on it and most chew beds while on them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coolaroo-Raised-Dog-Bed-Med-/280825949062?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item416287eb86

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikki.89 Wed Jun 13 2012, 05:29

Nikki.89 wrote:Hi, I have a one year old English Staffy (male).
He is a beautiful dog but we are having some problems with him. He chews everything! My husband made him a Kennel and we put a new bed in there with some cosy blankets and he has ripped apart his bed and the blankets. (This isn’t the first time he had ripped apart his bedding either) We have our Christmas tree in the back shed and he has managed to slide the door across and get our tree out. He has chewed it to bits. We have told him off a number of times but he is just not learning. If it’s not this it will be something else. I’m very frustrating with him and have no idea what to do to get him to stop.
He NEVER listens. Does anyone have any advice for me to get him to stop?

Thank you everyone for answering my post! All the information you have given is so useful!
We have had Diesel since he was 8 weeks. We took him to puppy school but that’s all.
The kennel is outside but he doesn’t sleep in it now his bedding is gone. He sleeps in the garden instead. (Haven’t had the chances to get more bedding yet)
He is a beautiful dog. So kind hearted and great with our daughter but unfortunately we don’t have as much time for him as we use to. Our family is growing, we are having another baby in 3 weeks and I honestly am too tired for Diesel.
My husband use to walk him 3 times as week but now diesel is lucky to go once a week Sad . I will get him some new toys to chew on instead of our things and I will try the repellent. I’m home most days but I hardly go outside. At the beginning he started chewing things and misbehaving when we weren’t home but now it’s all the time.
Diesel is so excited all the time. He jumps up and is in your face trying to lick he is very full on and we don’t let him inside all the time. He never sits still and there has been times that we have let him walk around inside and he has done his business inside or gets into things he shouldn’t. Also when our new baby comes home we don’t want Diesel around her until she gets older.
I know we need to spend more time with him. It is honestly really hard. He might have separation anxiety when I think about it now. I feel like the worst Staffy owner saying all this Crying or Very sad

Nikki.89

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel
Dog(s) Ages : 1 Year
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Jun 13 2012, 05:37

Well, I can commiserate with you but really in all honesty I have to walk mine twice daily to keep energy in check. Any way you could get a dog walker? It is lack of exercise that is the cause of most if not all his behaviors. These charming dogs are super people needy too and I'm afraid leaving him out in the garden full time will most likely make it worse and may even become dangerous for your little ones. I'm not one to usually recommend this stuff, but if that is the best you can do you may want to consider rehoming him through a rescue. He just plain needs more. Sorry if that sounds blunt... I do feel for you but you need to be fair to him as well.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Wed Jun 13 2012, 23:54

hello and welcome from me the wife and marley
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14 2012, 00:01

Im assuming you didn't catch him start to chew these things therefore telling him off will never work, dogs don't understand telling off unless it is at the exact moment they are about to do a bad behaviour.

As suggested, durable toys, lots of walks and tighter security Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Jun 14 2012, 09:54

hi & welcome to the forum Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14 2012, 10:19

Nikki.89 wrote:My husband use to walk him 3 times as week but now diesel is lucky to go once a week Sad . I will get him some new toys to chew on instead of our things and I will try the repellent. I’m home most days but I hardly go outside. At the beginning he started chewing things and misbehaving when we weren’t home but now it’s all the time.
Diesel is so excited all the time. He jumps up and is in your face trying to lick he is very full on and we don’t let him inside all the time. He never sits still and there has been times that we have let him walk around inside and he has done his business inside or gets into things he shouldn’t. Also when our new baby comes home we don’t want Diesel around her until she gets older.
I know we need to spend more time with him. It is honestly really hard. He might have separation anxiety when I think about it now. I feel like the worst Staffy owner saying all this Crying or Very sad

This is going to sound very harsh & it isn't what you want to hear, but if you're not going to put the effort into your dog then you should send him to a rescue centre so that he can be rehomed to somebody who will walk him & take notice of him.

What do you really expect from him? He's a young, high energy breed dog who used to get attention & walks & now gets next to nothing? He's left on his own most of the time, you don't interract with him anywhere near enough & you don't train him.

You won't introduce him to your baby until she's older & then you'll expect him to know how to behave with her automatically?

I'm sorry, but unless you can put the time & effort into him, rehome him now while he's young enough for people to still want him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14 2012, 11:01

Surprised at the best he WAS getting walked three times a day now lucky if getting walked once are you for real he need 3 walks every day not just when you feel like it yout lucky he just chewing things up as the poor lad must be driven mental by lack of stimulation .
and not wanting him round a child untill the child is older do you not think you should have thought about this before getting him as oviously the child was on the way before getting him.
best thing to do is find a rescue centre so he can get a more suitable home.
and please dont get anouther dog again as clearly your not cut out for it angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Thu Jun 14 2012, 21:57

Hello and Welcome from Zac and me Smile

Irene

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zac
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down