Stiff back leg after long walk (mainly after a good kip)..???????

+3
Ben
Steve
hollymolly
7 posters

Go down

Stiff back leg after long walk (mainly after a good kip)..??????? Empty Stiff back leg after long walk (mainly after a good kip)..???????

Post by hollymolly Mon Jun 04 2012, 20:29

Just wondering if anyone else encounters this problem....

When Inca has been out for a lovely long walk (just a casual walk, not playing with her dog friends or running up & down hills or chasing her tennis balls) for say about 2 - 3 hrs but she also has breaks while out walkin to either play in some water or to just have a rest. Its just when she gets home she is tired so she will jump up on the couch an have a good sleep but its when she is gettin down of the couch that its obvious that her back leg is very stiff an there's a slight limp which seems to dissappear after about 10 mins of walkin about..

She has been on Glucosamine & Chondroitin since about 13 mnths old (she is 21 mnths now) and has been on Yumega Plus (mainly for her skin & coat but is also excellent for joints) for approx 3 mnths but just wanted to know what could possibly be making her so stiff or is it basically like us when we have had a long walk, we get abit stiff an achy !! (am not 21 anymore Big Grin )..

When i think back ... we used to joke that she walks like she's about 90 sometimes after she's had a sleep but she doesn't always do it.. She would walk slowly to her water bowl after having a sleep which was abit puzzling as she was only about 9 or 10 mnths old when we noticed it but like i said she isn't always like that..

Please help if anyone has a slight clue as to what is going on an if it needs lookin at Thanx...xx
hollymolly
hollymolly
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Inca & Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs old & 2 yrs old ...
Dog Gender(s) : Both Females..
Support total : 84

Back to top Go down

Stiff back leg after long walk (mainly after a good kip)..??????? Empty Re: Stiff back leg after long walk (mainly after a good kip)..???????

Post by Steve Mon Jun 04 2012, 21:24

could be arthritis, i stop throwing the tennis ball you don't want to do more damage

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Stiff back leg after long walk (mainly after a good kip)..??????? Empty Re: Stiff back leg after long walk (mainly after a good kip)..???????

Post by Ben Mon Jun 04 2012, 22:37

I would say if it clears up it is probably just stiff from sleeping after exercise. Does it happen only after long walks? Piggie sometimes can get that way if I push her too much.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Mon Jun 04 2012, 23:03

Lola can stiffen up in her rear legs, after a walk then sleep, but after a couple of steps she stretches out (makes everyone laugh with a full body nose up back feet pads upwards stretch) and is fine afterwards. what is the last ten minutes of the walk? do you bring her home in the car? might be worth doing a quick on the lead warm down before she has a rest after a good walk
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by roz w Tue Jun 05 2012, 18:27

ok my Trouble had terrible problems he would seem fine on a walk rest for a while and then would not put his leg down , he had xrays and tests for cruciate but all came back fine , even the vet was baffled we always let him up on the couch , we had to do 5 min walks and try to improve the limp anyway a year later (yes a year later ) we got him up to 20 mins and then for no apparemt reason he was limping again , anyway we decided we needed a new couch and a leather one and once it arrived we would no longer let Trouble on there , his leg improved so much we are now back up to an hours walk and all the vet could put it down to was a sprain and that going on the couch was making him bend the joints in funny way or not being supported , we bought him the really nice wainwright beds as they are thick like a matress
roz w
roz w
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Stiff back leg after long walk (mainly after a good kip)..??????? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Trouble
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by kellenny Tue Jun 05 2012, 18:31

Hmm...I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but these symptoms sound exactly like Sandi - torn cruciate ligament. If it's only occasional then probably a partial tear. Have a look at this thread on torn cruciate ligament and see what you think.
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t7244-lame-rear-leg

Sandi has had a TPLO operation and is now recovering well. You can read about her operation and recovery here:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t11182-partial-cruciate-ligament-tear
I would take her in to the vets to get it checked out, just in case. it may be nothing, but if it is her cruciate then its best to get it sorted, as the longer you leave it, the more likely that arthritis will set in if the joint is unstable. I hope this helps. Good luck and let me know if you think the symptoms sound similar.
kellenny
kellenny
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sandi
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by rachylovell Wed Jun 06 2012, 11:51

Your staffy may have developed hip dysplacia? I'm not sure though I may be wrong, my dog has it and after long walks he gets stiffer and has to stretch for like 5 minutes after waking up lol. Take her swimming thats supposed to help joint problems Smile

rachylovell
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by hollymolly Thu Jun 07 2012, 20:13

bbimson wrote:I would say if it clears up it is probably just stiff from sleeping after exercise. Does it happen only after long walks? Piggie sometimes can get that way if I push her too much.

Hi bbimson...yeh she only ever has a stiff leg when she's been for a long long walk...

She is fine an doesn't get a stiff leg if she is just out for her usual 1-2 hr stroll ..

Thanks for the comment again .
hollymolly
hollymolly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by hollymolly Thu Jun 07 2012, 20:16

asa-james wrote:Lola can stiffen up in her rear legs, after a walk then sleep, but after a couple of steps she stretches out (makes everyone laugh with a full body nose up back feet pads upwards stretch) and is fine afterwards. what is the last ten minutes of the walk? do you bring her home in the car? might be worth doing a quick on the lead warm down before she has a rest after a good walk

She has a chilled slow walk home after her stroll an i don't own a car ... Smile
hollymolly
hollymolly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by hollymolly Thu Jun 07 2012, 20:23

rachylovell wrote:Your staffy may have developed hip dysplacia? I'm not sure though I may be wrong, my dog has it and after long walks he gets stiffer and has to stretch for like 5 minutes after waking up lol. Take her swimming thats supposed to help joint problems Smile

Thanks for the advice rachylovell .... I will read up on hip dysplacia an see if it might be that.. I am seriously hoping it isn't anythin to do with torn ligaments an that its more like she is just abit stiff after a long long walk.. (you know like when us people get stiff after a long walk or after exercise's)..

She will play in the water on her walks but sadly wont swim (she's slightly a chicken when it comes to that !!)
hollymolly
hollymolly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down