crate training. issues

4 posters

Go down

crate training. issues Empty crate training. issues

Post by Guest Sun Dec 26 2010, 00:16

Hi everyone....
Well it didnt take me long for an SOS post....

OK.
ISSUE - Holly loves her crate during the day.... goes in there of her own free will , slept in there most of the day on and off yesterday,,,,

UNTIL WE LOCK THE GATE..... then she goes to town.. howling , screaming and carrying on a treat...
I put up with it this morning from 4.30am till 5.20.. waited till seh was quiet and then took her out for a wee.....

I did control crying with my kids. ( it was easier Sad )
so is it ok to let her do this?..... she did eventually lay down and go to sleep... but man it was heart breaking.
Hubby isnt thinking it is "humane" although he isnt that interested in reading anythign about it either... he just wants to cuddle her... so I have out the foot down! my way or nothing....

so back me up peeps... am i doing it the right way?

Back to top Go down

crate training. issues Empty Re: crate training. issues

Post by janey Sun Dec 26 2010, 05:40

I have never done crate training, nor do I have children, but in a staffy way the only way to go in my eyes is to be persistant and strong. I think your doing the right thing and Holly will soon learn. They are so stobborn, and everythings new to her. Start as you mean to go on. x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Sun Dec 26 2010, 09:49

Firstly, you're not alone!
When we first got Molly the first few nights were awful, she was in and out of the cage all night. The cage was upstairs in our bedroom, so she kept us up and I ended up sitting up with her for a few nights, then we eventually moved her crate downstairs into the living room where it stayed, and she ended up sleeping through the night.
The one thing I can suggest is, make sure she's not hungry, or needing the toilet before you put her to bed, she should be able to settle down easier.
It is heart breaking, but I was always taught if a dog barked, whined, whimpered, cried just for attention and you then gave it the attention, the dog learnt that doing so would get it attention (Way too many attention's in that sentence) So unless you think she is in pain, or needing something, I'd try and ignore it.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 26 2010, 10:03

Mel you're doing the right thing. She's missing her mum and littermates and she's completely bewildered by the changes. Make sure she has bedding and toys in there so she's comfy. Give her her last feed no later than about 7, same with water. Take her out just before you go to bed, put her in her crate and leave her. If she whines in the early hours. Get her out for a wee, no talking, no playing, no fuss, then put her straight back in and go back to bed. Ignore the whining after you know she doesnt need a wee or anything. She'll settle down after a few nights. Good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 26 2010, 10:44

Ok thanks Guys...

I thought it was doing the write thing... just hard Sad

Also doesnt help that is is storming and the idiots next door are lettign fire works off... so she doesnt like the wet feeling on her feet and of course the fireworks isn't going over well either Sad

On a brighter note... today I put her in the crate and closed the door.. she whimpered for about 30 sec nd then just layed down and slept for over an hour.... we have had NO accidents in the house today ( only 1 total yesterday morning) she even went to the door this evening....
she seems very smart. I even have her sitting at the door and letting me go in first.
I know this is all a learning curve but i can honestly say the crying is the only concern right now...

OH and boy is she going to be a chewer...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 26 2010, 11:06

If it's any comfort to you, Dempsey screamed the house down for the first 4 or 5 nights when we shut him in his crate! I'd cuddle him to sleep before I wanted to go to bed, then I'd lay him gently in his crate & shut the door. He's sleep through for a couple of hours & then he'd screach.

It's really hard, but I got ear plugs for everyone (I wear them anyway cause OH snores!) and left him to it. I used to get up at about 4am and let him out for a wee, then cuddle him back to sleep.

It might help a little if you occasionally shut the door during the day so she knows it's a normal thing & she doesn't get upset about it at night.

Oh, and never go to her when she's creating a fuss, cause then she's got exactly what she wants & she'll keep doing it! Wait till she's calm & quiet, then let her out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 26 2010, 12:11

Mel when she's in during the day just close the crate for a couple of minutes at a time and extend the time each time she'll learn that you do come back for her the the crate door doesn't mean you always get left for hours

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 26 2010, 12:45

Caryll wrote:If it's any comfort to you, Dempsey screamed the house down for the first 4 or 5 nights when we shut him in his crate! I'd cuddle him to sleep before I wanted to go to bed, then I'd lay him gently in his crate & shut the door. He's sleep through for a couple of hours & then he'd screach.

It's really hard, but I got ear plugs for everyone (I wear them anyway cause OH snores!) and left him to it. I used to get up at about 4am and let him out for a wee, then cuddle him back to sleep.

It might help a little if you occasionally shut the door during the day so she knows it's a normal thing & she doesn't get upset about it at night.

Oh, and never go to her when she's creating a fuss, cause then she's got exactly what she wants & she'll keep doing it! Wait till she's calm & quiet, then let her out.

it was the same at my end 4/5 days then it starts to get a lot better so dont worry mel there is light at the end of the tunnel and you are doing the right things
and haha its always the men that are the softest when it comes to the pups as my wife pointed out to me

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Dec 26 2010, 15:40

never used a crate for mine but the dog has been in them at shows I think you have to put up with it see how she goes make sure she has a comfy teddy to snuggle up with, aww its hard being a baby so she will be a bit unsettled at first
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 26 2010, 19:57

Hey Everyone,
Well last night was a touch better. We put her to bed asleep about 10pm.. then she was up at 11pm crying.. took her to the toilet and put her straight back.
up at 1.45 am ( cried for about 15mins) then settled till about 3.30am.. (left her this time ) and then she woke at 5.55am,... NO wee in the crate and she went out at 6am for a big wee.

She isnt to fussed on her Breakfast tho... had a big play this morning with Dan and once she looked sleepy we took her for a wee and put her in her crate... this time she took about 6 mins to settle and is sound alseep.

One question.....
while she is going Off... ( which I might add is a cross between a cat/lamb/baby)
should I ignore her totally... or use the "quiet" in a deep voice?.. (not sexy at all LOL)
thanks Guys

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 26 2010, 21:26

Just ignore her. Any attention will just make her whine for more. I know its hard, but like you said, she's smart. She'll pick it up very quickly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 26 2010, 21:28

Shontelle wrote:Just ignore her. Any attention will just make her whine for more. I know its hard, but like you said, she's smart. She'll pick it up very quickly.

Thankyou Smile... she is def a smart cookie...

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Mon Dec 27 2010, 09:04

Mel Skora wrote:
One question.....
while she is going Off... ( which I might add is a cross between a cat/lamb/baby)
should I ignore her totally... or use the "quiet" in a deep voice?.. (not sexy at all LOL)
thanks Guys

I tried using "Quiet" even tried treats as I'd read on line, the theory being, they can't whine if they're eating. It didn't work, ignoring Molly was the best thing. They're wonderfully smart dogs, especially at that age, and they learn very quickly.
Keep up the good work, sounds like you're doing a brilliant job!
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 09:12

Cornish-Muscle wrote:
Mel Skora wrote:
One question.....
thanks Guys

I tried using "Quiet" even tried treats as I'd read on line, the theory being, they can't whine if they're eating. It didn't work, ignoring Molly was the best thing. They're wonderfully smart dogs, especially at that age, and they learn very quickly.

Yes, the trouble with treats is it will seem as though you are rewarding the noise. Same with 'quiet'. You're paying attention. Leave the 'quiet' command till later.

Ignoring it is best & she'll learn quicker that way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 09:13

Thanks xx
She is getting better.. this afternoon she woke up and just sat in her crate, no whinging etc.. I went to her unlocked it and gave her a big cuddle.. it was the first time that she didnt carry on like a pork chop.
I havent been putting her in there every time.. at the moment she is sleeping on the loung.. but I think she is getting it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Mon Dec 27 2010, 10:21

Caryll wrote:
Cornish-Muscle wrote:
Mel Skora wrote:
One question.....
thanks Guys

Yes, the trouble with treats is it will seem as though you are rewarding the noise. Same with 'quiet'. You're paying attention. Leave the 'quiet' command till later.

Ignoring it is best & she'll learn quicker that way.

Exactly, the same happened when she got grumpy over a fisherman, long story, the veterinary nurse said basically, ignore the bad behaviour, treats or distractions are just a reward as far as they're concerned.
Shame we learnt that the hard way.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 10:23

No such thing as a long story here - tell us!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 11:09

Yep I agree.... what is the fishing story

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 20:32

UPDATE .......
She went to bed last night at 10.20pm..not a sound out of her.. it was cold last night here ( 10') so I put a heat pack in the bottom of her crate under her blanket... gave her a soft teddy and she crashed.. slept till 2.30 then i took her out for a wee and put her straight back.,,.. not a peep..... she woke up at 6.45am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she made a little whinging.. but I would say that she was hungry....BUT... she never eats her breakfast?
why do you think she doesnt?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 21:59

Mel when you feed only leave the food down for 10 mins if she doesn't eat it still take it away till her next feed, if you leave the food she'll think she can graze all day, she will then learn to eat it when its given to her

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 22:17

Marty wrote:Mel when you feed only leave the food down for 10 mins if she doesn't eat it still take it away till her next feed, if you leave the food she'll think she can graze all day, she will then learn to eat it when its given to her

Ok thanks i will do that... do they need to "wake" up first... should I have breakfast and then feed her?..give her time to want to eat?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 22:19

Well its up to u really, i always feed the kids then myself then the cat then the dogs lol but thats just to show them that everyone else comes first (pecking order thing). x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 22:20

yeah you should eat 1st your the pack leader then Holly, and just been looking at pics of Holly i must have a word in your ear about painted nails Laughing she's not a poodle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 22:22

Poodle.... ????? Serious.... they told me she was?... I have ordered her a TUTU?????

Its drilled into my brain.. my girls always have manicured nails..

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Dec 27 2010, 22:39

Mel Skora wrote:Poodle.... ????? Serious.... they told me she was?... I have ordered her a TUTU?????

Its drilled into my brain.. my girls always have manicured nails..

rolling on the floor Wish I spent as much time on my nails! When we all move to yours I'm first on the nail stuff please?!?!?
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 22:41

Im 2nd.....your not the only one who loves sniffing it Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by mika03 Tue Dec 28 2010, 13:47

mika was in a crate since day one and we have carried it out she is nine months on the 31 december and yesterday we took crate away OMG did she hate this we left out new bed in kitchen and sat in living room until she settled but she didnt cried and cried until the crate came back . Its a great way to train a dog , but i suppose it is hard when its new to them so we has it very easy ...
mika03
mika03
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : mika
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 28 2010, 19:31

Can i ask why you took the crate away ? i have no intentions of ever taking it away from her... we plan on taking it everywhere with us ( big i know) but we go camping a lot in the summer time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 28 2010, 19:32

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

OMG ..... HOLLY slept 10pm till 6am this morning... straight thru
NO wet/poo???
that cant be normal for a 9 week old?
anyway mummy is a happy girl Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 28 2010, 19:53

that's great Mel yeah they learn quick not to mess their crate(bed), i'm the same as you the crate is his safe haven and bed he's got it forever and when we go camping, got a weekend booked in a place called Wollongong Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 28 2010, 20:03

Marty wrote:that's great Mel yeah they learn quick not to mess their crate(bed), i'm the same as you the crate is his safe haven and bed he's got it forever and when we go camping, got a weekend booked in a place called Wollongong Laughing

Anytime x

She has NEVER messed in her crate... only 2 accidents in the house... so far we are doing very very well
she did however wee and poo on the deck this morming.. she doesnt like wet grass

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 28 2010, 22:07

Yer, the bed lasts until they decide to chew it up! Thats my experience anyway, and we've been through a few now! Shes only happy whilst on my bed Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 28 2010, 22:11

Janey wrote:Yer, the bed lasts until they decide to chew it up! Thats my experience anyway, and we've been through a few now! Shes only happy whilst on my bed Smile

Laughing Laughing lue is the same. I have started buying him plain quilt covers and quilts. Cheaper and thought he might stay on it a bit longer as he loves his comforts. But same as moo, he just wants cuddles all the time Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 28 2010, 22:23

cuddles they do love...
when she is sleepy tho I am putting her in her crate... she seems happy in there.. no more complaining.. she cuddles her green teddy and ZZZZzzzzzzzz
x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 28 2010, 22:31

She is doing amazingly well. Nice one thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down