Can a dog be claustrophobic?

2 posters

Go down

Can a dog be claustrophobic? Empty Can a dog be claustrophobic?

Post by Cornish-Muscle Sat Dec 25 2010, 11:44

Ok, so the title says it all really.
Can a dog be claustrophobic?
When we first got Molly at 6 weeks old, she slept in a crate every night until she was about 8 months old, she know sleeps in bed with us, bad I know, but we currently don't have enough room for her bed to fit into our room.
For the past 3 nights, as we've got settled into bed she's jumped onto the bed and come right up to the head of our bed and stared out the window and physically shook, so much so the first night the entire head of the bed was shaking underneath her. The first night we thought something might have spooked her (She's very scared of fireworks and loud noises make her jump) so I cuddled up with her and she soon settled down, same happened the second night, a lot less violent this time around. Then last night again, the same thing, however this time, me and my boyfriend were facing each other with her between us, I rolled over, and as soon as I did she settled down, so my boyfriend suggested maybe she was claustrophobic.
Another thing that she is petrified of is her harness (She has to wear it, else she just chokes herself on a lead) I've tried everything, making a game out of it, giving her treats as I'm putting it on. She actually refuses to eat anything for a while whilst she has it on, even her favourite treats.
Finally, we used to own a Vauxhall Astra, which she travelled fine in, she slept in the passenger footwell for over 300 miles one day, now we have a Renault Clio, a smaller car, and she hates it, unless she can get into the boot, could this all be related?
We spoke to a nurse about the car issue, she said maybe it's the motion of the car, with it being smaller maybe it rocks more, and again, the make a game out of being in the car, but she just refuses to play or eat when she's even near the car, as soon as we head towards the car she pulls away and tries to get back to the house, unless we're on the way home.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Can a dog be claustrophobic? Empty Re: Can a dog be claustrophobic?

Post by Dee86 Sun Jan 23 2011, 20:29

Hello there,

Does she shake when your not giving her attention? it may be because she knows that if she shakes then you are going give her some attention. The best thing to do altgough i know its hard, is not to humanise your dog. She may have issues with being in enclosed spaces due to a bad experience but if she likes to be under the covers or in bed inbetween you and your patner then i dought it as this is would just be your worse nightmare if she was claustrophobic. Again with the harness it may be because of a bad experience so the only thing to do is to rehabilitate your dog to become comfortable with all the things that she is not comfoatable with. This can take along time. During the training process its important to be calm and to be a pack leader, no eye contact and talking is best, as sometimes we put on a high pitch voice to make our dogs feel happy or better about a certain situation, but all the dog hears is a high tone causing a high energy behavior which can make things worse if you are trying to get your dog in a calm submissive state. Training dogs is best not through the stomach but with prasing by touch and firm calm verbal commands. Back to bed thing, maybe it would be better to just to have her bed in the kitchen or in a different room rather then the bedroom amd in bed with you, boundries are not cruel there healthy for a dog as it shows the higherachy in the pack, to have rules, boundries and limitations with a dog gives them a happy routine and it also helps with showing that you and your patner are the pack leaders...hope this helps, give me a shout if you need anymore advice x
Dee86
Dee86
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralphie
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum