6 year staffy started chewing??? advice please

3 posters

Go down

6 year staffy started chewing??? advice please Empty 6 year staffy started chewing??? advice please

Post by usersteve Thu May 10 2012, 17:05

[center]Hi new to this so hoping im posting in the right place and thank you in advance for any help

Ok to start Ive had my 6-7 year old staff for 2 years, when i got her she was very timid and weary of everything and didnt even know how to play. I think she was ill treated and just used as a breading dog as she is full pedigree. But im happy to say ive turned her life around for the better and worked very hard with her.

Anyway in the 2 years ive had her she has been fantastic in every way, very loving with the kids, obedient, and lives up to everything i have read about staffys other than 2 issues.....

1st she will not tolerate what so ever any other living animal (she even had a go at a horse) that was embarrasing lol
this i dont mind so much if that is her only floor.

2nd : she has just latley started chewing things from the garden gate to the fire place skirting boards etc (the poor kids have no handle bars or pedals left on their bikes) its mainly outside in the garden this happens but she has started bringing it into the house. Nothing of her routine has changed and she is a very happy go lucky dog.
If she was a puppy i would understand this but being around 7 years old and not had a problem before im confused??? Any advice would be great.

Regards and thanks in advance
Steve

usersteve
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

6 year staffy started chewing??? advice please Empty Re: 6 year staffy started chewing??? advice please

Post by Steve Thu May 10 2012, 17:18

1) some dogs dont like other animals that just normal you just have to be carefull around other animals

2) sound like she bored to me, how many tiems are you taking her out and how long for?

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

6 year staffy started chewing??? advice please Empty Re: 6 year staffy started chewing??? advice please

Post by Kathy Thu May 10 2012, 17:23

Hi & 6 year staffy started chewing??? advice please Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

6 year staffy started chewing??? advice please Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
6 year staffy started chewing??? advice please Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
6 year staffy started chewing??? advice please Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
6 year staffy started chewing??? advice please Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
6 year staffy started chewing??? advice please Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
6 year staffy started chewing??? advice please Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu May 10 2012, 17:28

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

1) Not all dogs will get on with all other dogs or other animals, if this happens whilst out on a walks try taking something with you as a distraction, a toy or treats. A bottle of stones is even known to work for some.

2) As for the chewing try getting some toys that will mentally stimulate her, something she has to work out, a toy hidden under a blanket, small treats hidden in empty egg box etc,

Has anything in the daily routine changed ??
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by usersteve Thu May 10 2012, 17:33

Hi thanks for reply
Regarding getting on with other animals ive excepted she just isnt going to be a social dog, if this her only floor im fine with that and just very vigilant out walking.
She has lots of toys and gets plenty of fuss and attention and nothing at all has changed in her routine (thats the confusing part for me)
If im honest her walks are few and far between because of how unsocialble she is but this has been the case since ive had her and never been an issue. it just seems to be the last few months the chewing has started
Regards

usersteve

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 10 2012, 17:40

that what the problem is dogs need 2/3 walks a day for 45mins plus each time.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by usersteve Thu May 10 2012, 17:45

Steve wrote:that what the problem is dogs need 2/3 walks a day for 45mins plus each time.

But wouldnt this and other behaviour problems occured long ago?

usersteve

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 10 2012, 18:11

dogs need to be walked if they dont they become a problem dog.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10 2012, 21:23

I agree with Steve that she really should be getting regular walks, even if it's totally on lead. It isn't fair to keep a breed like a stafford indoors most of the time.

However, I doubt that's what's causing the chewing if it's only just started.

Have you had a look at her mouth/teeth? Are her gums inflamed or does she have a broken tooth?

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 10 2012, 21:25

if she was given daily walks she wouldn't be chewing... being locked up for most of the time is going send u crazy

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10 2012, 22:03

Steve wrote:if she was given daily walks she wouldn't be chewing... being locked up for most of the time is going send u crazy

Normally I'd agree with you, and it can't be helping, but if she's always had the same amount of excercise & the chewing has only just started, it's likely something else has prompted it.

I still think it's likely that something's irritating her mouth/gums.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 10 2012, 22:09

or bored out of her head?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 10 2012, 22:12

Steve wrote:or bored out of her head?

But why start now, when the excercise has been the same for 2 years? Yes, she needs more, regular walks, but a dental check up wouldn't go amiss!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu May 10 2012, 22:17

yea a check up would be good idea. but if she 100% fit she need daily walk to fix her boredom.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 11 2012, 00:00

I would have her teeth checked out because if she is in pain that could cause her to chew like she was teething. You could also try walking her someplace or sometime when she is less likely to see an animal.

Back to top Go down

Post by usersteve Mon May 14 2012, 09:45

Thanks for the replys, i will have her teeth checked out and go from there, yes i agree she does need more walks but she isnt Locked away as you put it, she always has attention and runs in the garden and is never left alone, as i said her routine has been the same for a couple of years and never had an issue so the tooth/mouth problem sounds more realistic
Thanks for the advice
Steve

usersteve

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon May 14 2012, 09:54

I will put money on her having nothing wrong with her teeth and she need walks, runs in the gardens isn't good enough sorry to say...

REALISTIC dogs need 2/3 walks everyday 45mins plus each time or your going have a problems dog.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down