Should I be worried?

Go down

Should I be worried?  Empty Should I be worried?

Post by Summersmom Tue Apr 10 2012, 02:20

And if so what do I do to correct the problem? First a little backgound, Summer was kept in a kennel outside and in a basement from birth until I got her last month and she is 7 months old. She did not get socialized as well as the breeder normally would of because she recently had a baby so did not take the pups places like she normally would of so I have been working on her getting use to weird noises and situations. She so far has loved everybody and everything includeing my moms cats so things have been going great. How ever this afternoon my boyfriend was stomping on some cans to put in the recycle bin and she got scared by the noise and started barking but stopped when I told her to. But what has me worried is after that when my boyfriend came towards me she started barking and acting like she was going to attack him like she thought he was going to hurt me. She did this three times but then I had him give her a treat and she was ok. Now he does not like haveing dogs in the house and I doubt he will do anything as far as helping me train her, I had to beg him to give her the treat and he will only be here until maybe June because he will be moveing back to Mexico and I will be staying here and we will no longer be a couple because after 6 years of being together with me haveing dogs in the house the whole time and planning to move to Mexico he decides to tell me that when we move to Mexico I would not be allowed to have my dogs in the house so I told him if that was the case he can go to Mexico by himselve. But any ways back to the point of my post should I be worried or was she just acting like that because she got scared? Again I want to stress she has been awesome with everyone else and is great with all the neighborhood kids and this is the first time she has ever acted the least bit aggresive so what should I do? Should I be worried or should I just relax? I am working on her obedience and she knows sit, down, and come and we are working on stay and adding destractions as we go as well to make sure she will pay attention where ever we are.
Summersmom
Summersmom
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Wonderland Summer Solstice
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Should I be worried?  Empty Re: Should I be worried?

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10 2012, 04:29

I would not be worried at all but just keep an eye on her body language and intervene like you did if she exhibits beahaviour you are uncomfortable with.

She was most likely scared of an unfamiliar noise so she started to bark. It's quite normal for a dog to have a closer bond with one member of the household and be a bit protective of that person. Suki is much more protective of my wife than she is of me and will occasionally give me a good barking if she doesn't like what I'm doing. The behaviour is understandable I think because my wife is her primary handler and care provider so she is a bit more protetive of her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10 2012, 10:46

Agree with jstaff that she was most likely scared by the noise. Millie will either sit in front of me or bark if there are any arguments going on. She stops when she told.

Back to top Go down

Post by Summersmom Tue Apr 10 2012, 14:11

Ok guys thanks for easing my mind. She was fine the rest of the night and even tried to lay her head on his feet like she does mine and followed him out on the porch when he went out to smoke.
Summersmom
Summersmom

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11 2012, 00:52

Saxon hates yelling and whenever one of us yells he hides at the other's feet. I'm sure she just associated him with a sound she didn't like. She should get over it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Summersmom Wed Apr 11 2012, 01:32

Thanks Christina she has been fine today so I think everyone is right so I am not going to worry about it. Big Grin
Summersmom
Summersmom

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down