G a y/curled Tail and conformation shows?

2 posters

Go down

G a y/curled Tail and conformation shows? Empty G a y/curled Tail and conformation shows?

Post by sarah123 Wed Apr 04 2012, 23:16

Read some articles on this and am now really confused Crying or Very sad

What exactly is a g a y tail for a Staffy (in confirmation show)? Example, A dog when relaxed has a normal standard. The same dog when excited has a curled tail. The same dog when nose to nose with another dog has a tail bent over the back. The same dog will have a standard tail slightly curled at the end if normally walking.

Is this a g a y/curled tail. I have read lots of different answers and I probably will get different ones but does anyone out there know if the above is a fault in the show ring (even though it might never show up in the show ring because the dog does not come too close to another dog)?

Some sound answers (and accurate ones) would be appreciated. confused

Last edited by sarah123 on Wed Apr 04 2012, 23:20; edited 2 times in total

sarah123
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

G a y/curled Tail and conformation shows? Empty Re: G a y/curled Tail and conformation shows?

Post by George Wed Apr 04 2012, 23:51

Yes a curled tail is a fault in show.
The tail should be slightly bent in the style of a traditional pump handle.

Check out the video for the breed standard on youtube.
It shows all the standards and faults.
It has audio commentary also.

George
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

G a y/curled Tail and conformation shows? Empty Re: G a y/curled Tail and conformation shows?

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04 2012, 23:59

A g a y tail will be immediately noticeable on a staff in a show if it walks right, when they are in the show ring they are supposed to walk with purpose and have their tails out straight but relaxed and confident but the tail should not up and not curled at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by sarah123 Thu Apr 05 2012, 00:12

Yes I realise that but what constitutes a g a y tail. Is it a tail that can curled slightly and can nose to nose go over the back and one that at the same time can be a normal pump handle tail when the dog is relaxed? If the dog is in the show ring the tail will be normal pump handle but outside in the field nose to nose with another dog it can be bent over the back. What EXACTLY consitutes a g a y or overly curled tail in onformation if the above is true of a dog etc. :-< still confused.

sarah123

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by sarah123 Thu Apr 05 2012, 00:13

PS. I like your girl what are her lines?

sarah123

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by sarah123 Thu Apr 05 2012, 08:51

Anyone any ideas?

sarah123

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 09:10

If any dog is nose to nose with another dog and there is anxiety/aggression present then the tail will go stiff & will curl over the back, sometimes even touching the back! That doesn't mean it's a g.a.y tail, just an expression of body language.

In the show ring a tail will be considered g.a.y if it curls tightly or is carried back height or higher. It should stay as a pump handle shape even when the dog is moving. However, a dog that is perfect in every other way will have a slightly g.a.y tail overlooked, although the judge may comment on it. It should still, however, be pump handle shaped when the dog is standing still.

Does that help? I don't know if I've explained it clearly! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by sarah123 Thu Apr 05 2012, 09:23

That is the clearest answer I have had to date. There was so much confusion on a pit bull forum at what did and did not constitute a * tail and at what times etc that I got confused! I have a friend who has a dog who when standing it has a pump handle tail, when walking a pump handle tail or slightly raised with a little curl on the end if put under pressure i.e. walking for some miles, when aware it curls and when nose to nose curling over the back and on the odd occasion touching the back (when peeing touching the back, it's a girl Laughing ). They want to show it but weren't too sure if they could and have a chance at the same time of placing the dog. She is actually very nice and comes from good stock.

Your answer will help. Smile

sarah123

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 09:58

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 10:49

Sorry I wasn't much help I had just done an13 hr shift lol. Thank you this is her lines Link to family

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 10:54

Equi wrote:Sorry I wasn't much help I had just done an13 hr shift lol. Thank you this is her lines Link to family

13 hours? Surprised I struggle doing 3 hours, 3 times a week! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 11:18

Yuh it sucks. 12 hr night shift on sat night Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 11:20

Sad Oh, you poor thing! I'll be thinking of you. Well, no I won't, I'll be in bed asleep! Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down