Yelping - a digestion problem ?

5 posters

Go down

Yelping - a digestion problem ? Empty Yelping - a digestion problem ?

Post by lovemystaffies Thu Dec 09 2010, 17:48

Murphy (8 yr neutered boy) yelping with pain at night mostly, sometimes in car, then wanting to go out and eat grass, when he comes back he doesn't want to lie down, just sit up and shake. Just back from vets, difficult to diagnose - took bloods. Full examination, nothing would make him yelp or seem as if causing pain. Vet thinks possibly pancreatitis, or maybe food allergy and suggesting Eukaneba dried food, for sensitive digestion. He is currently on Whites light and sensitive and looking at contents, I can't see much difference, except the Whites has no animal fat, which I think is better. Any previous experiences or wise advice welcome. Sad
lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max and Madge
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 6
Dog Gender(s) : male female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Yelping - a digestion problem ? Empty Re: Yelping - a digestion problem ?

Post by Guest Thu Dec 09 2010, 19:11

hope Murphy will be OK, sorry i cant help, maybe someone else on the forum might have a few suggestions

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Thu Dec 09 2010, 22:16

I hope murphy is ok too i cant help u with this one either sorry
youngkaiser
youngkaiser
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Dec 09 2010, 22:18

If its maybe a food problem (I had a massive one with mine) I put her her on 'Royal Canin' chicken and rice sensativity diet which worked. Its not cheap so after around 6 months I have started to try and make it myself, which is also going well! I use biscuits and canned and then mix in extra rice and other bics too, sounds complicated but its really not!
I also tested mine for everything but all came back clear too! Cost a fortune! And never had a proper reason 4 it.

Yelping does sound rather odd but as you have done the vets and also tested different foods then its a toughie, try cutting out certain foods if u can, ie chicken/beef cause it could be that they just don't go down well Murpy. If the vets is happy it could be trial and errorr.It was with mine!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 10 2010, 01:33

your vet will know best

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11 2010, 03:13

are you feeding it too much? or feeding just before bed, exercising too much immediatly before or after feeding. any toilet issues, may of ate something besides food that will cause discomfort when laying down etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 11 2010, 09:28

I doubt it's pancreatitis (though I wouldn't go against your vet on that). Pancreatitis normal show in rapid loss of weight, pale & loose motions & general lethargy.

I would more look towards something eaten that is stuck in the stomach/intestines and although it isn't big enough to cause a blockage it's irritating. Has your vet sugested an x-ray?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee86 Sun Jan 23 2011, 19:56

Hello there, if you are going to have too go with a food that is for sensitive stomachs then stay away from hills science or hills persciption, when i rescued my boy they told me he would have to be on hills persciption for the rest of his life. 6 weeks later he is on nature diet which is a wet food with james wellbeloved dry food, and this has worked out perfectly! Altough the hills diet will work it just stops the problem for a short while ( this is all based on if your dogs upset tummy has been something that has gone on for a while ) you will see problems such as flakey skin and over all condition of coat etc getting worse as the science diet that is hills is full of rubbish, google the reviews for hills and eukanbe and youll see that there not that good. Vets always reccomend it as there practises buy reviews on the product from the hills company and get commision on IT when they sell the product to US! James wellbeloved is a good one for sensitive stomachs. Maybe request to have an x ray on your dogs insides, i know its expensive but it may be an internal problem, we all know that dogs can chew and swallow things they shouldnt Smile Remember that change in diet should be done over a period of 5 to 8 weeks. If he is yelping is sounds like he must be in a lot of pain, as animals always hide there pain as a survival instinct as it looks like a sign of weakness, and if hes eating grass then he must be feeling very poorly as they do this to make them selfs vomit, grass is also medicine to dogs. Just keep a close eye and if it gets worse and your vet doesnt seem to be helping then get a second opnion at a different practise....good luck x
Dee86
Dee86
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralphie
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Sun Jan 23 2011, 20:28

I agree with MissRogue, he may have ate something bad, Molly ate a sewing needle and thread once.....
I also agree that the vets 'should' know best, just try keep him comfy for now and reassure him things are ok when he's yelping.
Best of luck!
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down