+2
shakespearesdog
Orange
6 posters

Go down

Treadmill Empty Treadmill

Post by Orange Mon Mar 26 2012, 11:24

Yet another question...Smile

I have read some forums one how much a dog should be walked on the treadmill and there are different opinions. So here I have a few questions if you could throw in your input that would be great.

1. How long is reasonable to walk a staffy on the treadmill to keep them fit?
2. At what speed would you put them on a treadmill?
3. Would you put a dog on for minutes or distance and I suppose that may depend on speed?
4. Would you train a dog on the lead or off it?

Mine at present does 2 miles in the morning and last night she did 2 and a half miles. (She also has a walk 'n' play in the day aswell [usually chasing her football!])

Thanks. Smile

Orange
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Treadmill Empty Re: Treadmill

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 11:37

no treadmill fullstop.
treadmills are a favarite of dog fight training and there no real use for them other than this imo

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Mon Mar 26 2012, 11:44

Can you not walk her outside for those two miles? A staffy doesn't need additional exercise on a treadmill if it's getting enough stimulation and exercise outside. She should keep herself fit running around. Walking is important for dogs not just for her body but for her mind as well.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Mon Mar 26 2012, 11:46

not to be funny and please dont take offense but it seems to be treadmills are used as a alternative to actually walking, in which case thats really not a good idea as dogs needs stimulating and socializing at what ever age they are.. sorry just my opinion thou Smile
flame
flame
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Treadmill Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : River
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 11:53

Really, treadmills aren't needed unless you have a specific problem with getting out & about with your dog.

I've never used one & have never had the need to. However, if you do use one, always use with a lead securely attached to the traedmill & never leave your dog unattended.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 12:27

Have to agree that walking outside is best for them unless you are physically unable to do so because of a medical condition or terrible weather. Treadmills can also cause injuries if overused espically in a breed prone to hip displacia and other skeletal disorders.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 12:30

i woud think that with the big walks and the play you wouldnt need the treadmill anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Mar 26 2012, 12:38

I wouldn't use a treadmill other than for checking an animals gait. Even then it would be best to use video to look back at anyway.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Orange Mon Mar 26 2012, 12:50

I am surprised at the answers but maybe its just my naivety.

Just answering the top to bottom give me your views please.

Treadmills are certainly not just for training a fighting dog that I hope you would at least realise is stereotypical and in our breed we should be above that reasoning because we are wrongly judged in this manner by others. Therefore we do not need it among ourselves.

My dog does get between 3 and 5 miles per day outside but I believe a staffy (past 2 years of age) could do with 7 miles per day (although its not essential). Of course, nothing can beat outdoors. Hence, the treadmill helps her with the extra 2 miles I do not have time to walk her. Not to mention she is presently on a special diet and training program to lose weight and gain fitness.

How would a treadmill promote hip dysplacia etc if it is no different to walking? Are we then to say a breed that is prone to these issues should not be walked? Obviously not so I don't understand the point being made above???

Treadmills if overused can cause injury as much or not less than abusing normal exercise?

However my questions above were more general.

Lets say IF a treadmill was being used and there were genuine reasons for its use and it was being used in a responsible manner what would be your answers to my original questions? Smile

Orange

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 12:52

I can see where a treadmill can be useful. If one is incapacitated or it is raining too heavy, then it would be useful. I bought a second hand one last year and have tried Tyson on it about three times. He went ok but then sta\rted to attack the moving belt bit. I really am not fussed about it as I prefer to walk him anyway.

I would suggest that 2 mils per hour is about the right speed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 13:06

Treadmills do have usefullness other than training for dogfighting. There are handlers that have physical disabilites or simply want to keep their companion in good physical condition. If a person is an experienced handler and takes all neccessary precautions I have no issues with using a treadmill.

As long as they are used responsibily and supervised there isn't a big risk of injury provided the dog is fully physically devolped and the pace and distance is built up gradually over time. The risk of injury I was referencing is that on occassion people will run the dog too fast or start when they are too young. They don't fully devolp the neuromusclar and skeletal structure until they are 3 years old. Training can begin when they are 18 months but has to be done in a very slow and controlled manner to prevent injury either now or a health issue in the future. This is neccessary because as a breed they are prone to certain conditions such as hip displasia which can be caused by training to early or incresing speed, distance or weight too quickly.

As a breed they are also high energy and eager to please their handler so they will continue to use the treadmill or whatever exercise you are using instead of stopping to rest which can further compound the risk of injury.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Mon Mar 26 2012, 13:06

I disagree with treadmills full stop. And to be honest if you don't have time to walk the extra 2 miles per day how do you have time to put the dog on a treadmill for 2 miles? A dog on a treadmill would need constant supervision so therefore you would still need to stay with her whilst on there.

And no it isn't stereotypical but a known fact that dogs used in fights are placed on treadmills. So using one for a staff is asking for trouble, if anyone knew they would assume the worst and more than likely report you.

A dog walking on a treadmill is not natural. A dog walking outside on a lead is walking at a natural speed, and gait. No matter what speed a treadmill is set at, the way in which a person or animal is exercised on it can cause problems. Think about it the floor outside doesn't move, but on a treadmill the dog would have to constantly walk to avoid injury by stopping.
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 13:32

If your dog is getting 3-5 miles a day, plus play time and/or mental stimulation, why would you need to put it on a treadmill also? I just don't see the point.

As already mentioned, I can see that treadmills would be useful to someone who can't get out and walk their dog regularly, but if they are getting plenty of exercise, there is just no need.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 13:42

A person walking on a treadmill is not natural either but sometimes a useful method of excercising for whatever reason. I fail to see why using one if circumstances dictate, would have anything to do with dog fighting. If you are training a fighting dog you probably walk it as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Orange Mon Mar 26 2012, 13:57

Without a doubt. A treadmill has no more to do with dogfighting than walking them has to do with dogfighting. Before getting my girl I read up on the history of the breed as well as the breed today. I know that Armitage, who was a dog fighter in America, produced a book showing how he trained his dogs for a fight. He walked them 10 miles a day and then put them on the treadmill for a small amount in comparison.

The point being walking was used far more than treadmill in those days to condition a dog.

Treadmills have their place without a doubt in my opinion but I respect that others have a different viewpoint. However, if one does have a strong viewpoint in the other camp I believe it should be based on scientific fact rather than simply stereotypical analogies etc.

I personally don't have the time to watch my girl on the treadmill but do have a very responsibly older teen daughter, wanting to be a veterinary surgeon, that can watch her who would not go out walking her on dark night due to the dangers in our area for single girls at night.

Thanks to those that have actually given me at least one or two answers to the questions and also to those that have opened my eyes to the other side of the fence aswell.

I appreciate both opinions because it helps me to evaluate answers based on substance and fact.

Orange

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 13:59

Orange wrote:I am surprised at the answers but maybe its just my naivety.
Just answering the top to bottom give me your views please.
Lets say IF a treadmill was being used and there were genuine reasons for its use and it was being used in a responsible manner what would be your answers to my original questions? Smile

I've never used a treadmill so I stand by my original answer.....
Caryll wrote:Really, treadmills aren't needed unless you have a specific problem with getting out & about with your dog.

I've never used one & have never had the need to. However, if you do use one, always use with a lead securely attached to the traedmill & never leave your dog unattended.

Scubasteve wrote: And to be honest if you don't have time to walk the extra 2 miles per day how do you have time to put the dog on a treadmill for 2 miles? A dog on a treadmill would need constant supervision so therefore you would still need to stay with her whilst on there.

I would agree here. A dog should be constantly supervised whilst on a treadmill, so you wouldn't be saving yourself any time, after all - I would have thought it would be more entertaining & beneficial to you both to spend that time outside if possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 14:01

Orange wrote:I personally don't have the time to watch my girl on the treadmill but do have a very responsibly older teen daughter, wanting to be a veterinary surgeon, that can watch her who would not go out walking her on dark night due to the dangers in our area for single girls at night.

As long as there is responsible supervision, then I can't see a problem. I just wouldn't want to use one myself. I don't see the point. The extra fitness you would get from miles walking on a treadmill is minimal, and would bore the pants off most dogs! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Mon Mar 26 2012, 14:11

do have a very responsibly older teen daughter, wanting to be a veterinary surgeon, that can watch her who would not go out walking her on dark night due to the dangers in our area for single girls at night.
Well it's a good job the days are getting lighter. Twenty minutes of constantly playing fetch will do far more good for her then plodding along on a treadmill. I'm sure you or your daugher would have time to take her to a field for 20 minutes in addition to her usual walk? You've mentioned that your girl is currently on a diet eating hills science plan? I suggest a better quality food, she will get into shape a lot quicker. I swear by James Wellbeloved but there are lots of other excellent premium brands out there. If you are working on conditioning her she will need lots of extra protein to repair and build muscle mass so I suggest a food with a high protein percentage and lean, raw meat as well such as chicken.
If you absolutely can't go out the house for some reason then I suggest playing with her in the garden with a flirt pole or building her a springpole. Exercise on the Treadmill will shed weight but it will not build significant muscle mass, compare the build of long distance runners to weightlifters for example.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Orange Mon Mar 26 2012, 14:29

Thanks shakespearesdog. I will look at that dog food. I did originally have her on green tripe, chicken, beef etc (all raw) but she seemed to pile the weight on. Maybe I was just not measuring correctly. I must say the tripe made me throw up Laughing (although she loved it...mind you...I have seen her have a chomp at horse manure in the fields!!! Glad I'm not a dog, lol).

Maybe I'll start another thread on the correct diet and measurements of food to feed a dog for muscle mass building.

Orange

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 14:32

Tripe will always pile on the pounds - it's known for it! That's why I had to stop feeding it to Dempsey!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon Mar 26 2012, 15:41

Never liked the idea of a mill, and dont think they are nessarsary IMO, I dont think I'd ever use one, and you wont find many staff's fitter than my boy Big Grin Wink

Just my 2 penneth Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down