just wondering

5 posters

Go down

Smile just wondering

Post by xTitans-mummyx Mon Mar 12 2012, 00:35

hi just wondering if there is any way of kc registering my Titan even if i dont know if his mum n dad are registerd well i think his mum was? ive heard of these dna test are they worth it ? Its not for him to be a stud or anything, just want to know if he is full staff Smile would the dna test tel me this ? thanks Smile
xTitans-mummyx
xTitans-mummyx
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Titan
Dog(s) Ages : 15 WKS
Dog Gender(s) : MALE
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Smile Re: just wondering

Post by steve76 Mon Mar 12 2012, 00:42

with out knowing the parents are pedigree then no, dna test will be costly and in the long run not worth it. if he's just going to be a pet, why worry? marley has no papers and is a staff as both his parents are(they live up the road).but at the end of the day a bit of paper won't stop you loving him any less or more
steve76
steve76
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Mon Mar 12 2012, 00:51

He's full staff. He looks like no other breed. My boy is un-papered although I know what bloodlines he's related to.
He wouldn't be show standard even if he was kc reg (mine not yours) and I don't like the kc so what does it matter?
The sort of DNA test you can buy off the shelf won't tell you anything-you'd need to get a scientist to carry out a proper one and God knows how much that would cost.
You can't kc reg a dog unless you have proof of it breeding true for five generations.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by xTitans-mummyx Mon Mar 12 2012, 00:55

heyy steve its really just couriousity i would love him the same even if he did turn out to be crossed Smile. His mum and dad live round the corner from me to lol Smile and they are staffs as i mentioned on another post his mum was stocky and his dad was quite leggy well compared to mum. what i was wanting to find out was if at all through his blood line if there was another breed or cross staffy somewhere along the lines. If this was the case would Titan then be crossed ? if i were to get a dna (online £60) would this prove he is full or is that test only for mixed breed dogs ? x
xTitans-mummyx
xTitans-mummyx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by xTitans-mummyx Mon Mar 12 2012, 01:00

hi jade thanks i think he looks full staffie though i would like to find out if there is any other breed in there lol as he is leggy Smile i will love him the same no matter what Smile i could always try and find out his dads kc name if he is registerd i think the person said he was but misplaced the papers (mmm.) could always try Smile

this is a link to one of the dna tests you can get ?

http://www.wisdompanel.co.uk/whytest/

Last edited by xTitans-mummyx on Mon Mar 12 2012, 01:05; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding info)
xTitans-mummyx
xTitans-mummyx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Mon Mar 12 2012, 01:03

marley was the same for a while, now he's hit 1 he's filling out nicely, the £60 could be put to better use i think like some new toys for him to chew. but tbh i'd wait til he's older then decide if he looks staff then he probably is. but if both parents don't have a pedigree history then no chance of getting papers
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by xTitans-mummyx Mon Mar 12 2012, 01:07

heyy yeh i keep thinking hes too skinny not for been a staff , i just feel he culd do with a lttle fattening up what do you guys think truthfully
xTitans-mummyx
xTitans-mummyx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Mon Mar 12 2012, 01:10

looks perfectly fine to me Big Grin
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by George Mon Mar 12 2012, 01:27

Cant be certain whether or not he's a full staff or not unless you check it out.
You'll always have the odd person ask you about the dog and if he's a full staff or not and I'm sure you might think it would be good to be able to reply 'of course he is'. Well if you know the parents are full staffs then he's got to be right??
I wouldn't get hung up on a piece of paper. The only way it might crop up if you were to have him sire a litter.
Otherwise he's a great lookin dog. I've only ever owned crossbreeds and am currently looking for my first staff.
The only reason I'm worrried about the pedigree of the dog is because I dont want to pay pedigree price for a crossbred dog. Otherwise its all about the look and the temprament of the dog right? From what I can see he's a great looker, and the temprament... we all know how cool they are.
My cousin owns a brindle and white bitch whose parents are both IKC registered and so is she. This bitch is bigger than any male I've ever seen. She's huge. She stands taller and is chunkier than any other staff Ive ever seen. What I'm trying to say is that not all dogs are the same.

Hope this helped a little.

George
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Mon Mar 12 2012, 03:08

Trust me when I say hes full staff. I'm very good at identifying crossbreeds, i've never been wrong yet. Wink
What happens with pups is they generally go through a leggy stage and shoot upwards. This even happened to my cat and it was hilarious-she looked like she was on stilts!
What food do you feed him on? A good quality one and regular exercise (although not too much at this age) will make all the difference in the world.
He may end up a few inches taller then the breed standard but I've seen kc reg staffies at 18 inches tall. The breed standard was originally 15-17 inches and was changed in 1991 to 14-16. You still get taller dogs cropping up occasionally. Even the winner of the best in breed at Crufts was slightly over the height standard!
Wait till he gets older and bulks out. My dog has short legs but I highly doubt he's part corgi Tongues As I said before, my dog was mistaken for every breed under the sun when he was younger. As soon as he hit 15 months everyone knew he was a stafford. He's only a little baby at the moment, you wouldn't expect a two year old to have bulging biceps would you?

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12 2012, 13:42

I dont think DNA tests would be worth it, and it would just come back inconclusive anyway cause theyre *. I wouldn't worry if i were you, you have a dog that you love. If you want to say its a full staff so it looks better, then go ahead.

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Mon Mar 12 2012, 14:07

Some of those tests are half decent, most are just a fail.
Romeos doggy friend was sold as a boxer cross rottweiler. (The lady rescued her as a pup from the person that had bought her)
The owner was curious if this was actually true, she looked more like a ridgeback then anything and she wondered if she had another dog in the mix. She did a test and it came back 40% rottweiler, 50% boxer and 10% bull mastiff. So it as accurate in that regard.
However there was also a lady with a kc registered collie who did the test for a joke and it said her dog was a staffy cross great dane or something ridiculous!

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Mar 12 2012, 14:16

DNA wont tell you anything type of dog are to close related to say it a staffy. online dna test are online scams!

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Mar 12 2012, 14:19

shakespearesdog wrote:
He may end up a few inches taller then the breed standard but I've seen kc reg staffies at 18 inches tall. The breed standard was originally 15-17 inches and was changed in 1991 to 14-16. You still get taller dogs cropping up

1948 was then the height changed

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by xTitans-mummyx Mon Mar 12 2012, 21:05

Equi wrote:I dont think DNA tests would be worth it, and it would just come back inconclusive anyway cause theyre *. I wouldn't worry if i were you, you have a dog that you love. If you want to say its a full staff so it looks better, then go ahead.

Sorry to say they test do work , for mixed breed dogs every1s got their own opinion. Also i dont wanna find out if hes full staff to make it look better, why would i ?? Also the test was out of curiosity for myslef i couldnt care less what other people think of him and i was certainly not doing it to make it look or sound better.

Last edited by xTitans-mummyx on Mon Mar 12 2012, 21:05; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp mistake)
xTitans-mummyx
xTitans-mummyx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Mar 12 2012, 21:08

they dont work because bully/terrier breed are co close related i wouldn't spend money on it

Last edited by Steve on Mon Mar 12 2012, 21:43; edited 3 times in total

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by xTitans-mummyx Mon Mar 12 2012, 21:28

some of you have said he doesnt look mixed so i think i will save my pennys and go some puppy shopping (toys etc) i would just like to say again that i am not the sort of person to want to say "yeh hes full staff" just to make it look n sound good . i love my boy sooo sooo much that nothing would ever stop me loving him the way i do:) i think Titan gets more love n attention than my OH lol Tongues I was just curios to see if there was a little somthing else in there cuz hes leggy but yous have all reassured me that they go through this stage which is nice to know so a big thanks to yous all Smile
xTitans-mummyx
xTitans-mummyx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Mon Mar 12 2012, 21:40

1948 was then the height changed
Yes I was completely wrong, that's quite shameful of me considering I have antique breed standard booklets.
Apparently the desired height for staffords is 16 inches for a dog and 15 inches for a bitch.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down