small rodents

3 posters

Go down

small rodents Empty small rodents

Post by shakespearesdog Mon Feb 27 2012, 12:26

I used to keep fancy mice and dwarf hamsters. In fact I kept mice for eleven years and was a very proficent mouse keeper! Laughing
I never bred them but I did raise some mice from babies and useally owned relations.I once had a father and a daughter black&tans. I still had my last two mice when I got Romeo. Maylin was an agouti and Florence was a banded fawn. Florence was completely neurotic and I never tamed her. Maylin was friendly from the get-go and loved Romeo. They used to kiss each other through the bars of the cage. He was really sad when she died, he cried at the empty cage. Sad
The dwarf hamsters were great-they were like little mini dogs and would come and say hello when I called them. Love Struck My first was called Johnny, my sister's syrian hamster had died and my mum got him as a replacement but she didn't want a small hamster. He was naturally friendly and tame; he never bit me once. He died of old age. My next dwarf hamster was called Albert and he was the most gorgeous white and grey colour. He looked like a mini bear and felt like a furry marshmellow. He was a lovely little guy and he too died of old age.
I really, really miss keeping dwarf hamsters and mice but there are no longer any places near me that sell them. I still have three cages sitting in the wardrobe.
Does anyone know of any mice or dwarf hamsters for sale in the London area? Or a breeder? Or a breeding club!? I've had some searches but I can't find anything. Sad

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

small rodents Empty Re: small rodents

Post by janey Mon Feb 27 2012, 12:35

I love hamsters, I had them growing up as a child and my last one died last year I think.

I had Hippy who was a russian dwarf hamster, he was a little nippy and couldn't be handled very well. After he died I went onto Syrian Hamsters, I had 4 or 5 in total, not together though.

My las one was just called hamster and Moo loved her to bits, I used to put her in her ball and Moo would just follow her around! She was so gentle, she couldn't understand when she died and also sat and cried Sad

janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Feb 28 2012, 15:07

Afraid I could never have anything like these I am allergic to these kinds of animals. Had a very bad reaction to one when housesittings for some friends of my hubby. I honestly thought I was going to die. I could not breath or catch a breath it was awful.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 15:12

dont like anything like that, their tails make me feel sick

sorry jade

Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Tue Feb 28 2012, 15:30

dont like anything like that, their tails make me feel sick

Big Grin They have nightcrawler tails. Dwarf hamsters don't have any tails, only tiny bob ones like rottweilers. Laughing

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 16:17

dwarf hamsters sound nice then,
Smile

what are nightcrawler tails Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 21:42

I had hamsters as a child. One was a regular houdini & would escape from her cage at every oportunity. We used to let out the top floor of our house to nurses (it was just a bedroom, living room & small kitchen - bathroom was shared) and this hamster (I think her name was Blondie, but I'm not certain) managed to climb the stairs & get on top of this nurse's bedside table. Gave her one helluva fright when she woke up! Big Grin

I couldn't have one now, Dempsey would almost certainly eat it.

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Wed Feb 29 2012, 14:00

what are nightcrawler tails
Tails like Nightcrawler from the X-men. Love Struck

One was a regular houdini & would escape from her cage at every oportunity. We used to let out the top floor of our house to nurses (it was just a bedroom, living room & small kitchen - bathroom was shared) and this hamster (I think her name was Blondie, but I'm not certain) managed to climb the stairs & get on top of this nurse's bedside table
Haha thats really funny! Laughing I once had a mouse called Mozzarella (Motzy for short-she was an adorable black self) and when I used to clean out their cages I would put the mice on my window sill as they could run up and down and not get off. I went to move the mice back and Motzy had dissapeared! I put the other mice back in and guessed she'd run off somewhere-no worries my door was shut. About 10 mins later I heard a scuffling and Motzy was ON THE CURTAIN RAIL! She'd climbed up my net curtains and was chilling out up there. Laughing
Once also I had a couple of PEWs (pink eyed whites) that i'd got very cheap from a bird shop, I can't remember for the life of me what the friendly one was called but the skittish one was called pearl. When I briefly left the cage door open to give them fresh food she climbed out and escaped. I knew she had gone but her favourite hiding place was under my bed-I had I think four other mice at the time so I wasn't undully bothered. I didn't find her untill a MONTH later, my sister had heard a noise under her bed and Pearl had been living in the wardrobe all that time! Poor thing she was so skinny-god knows what she'd been eating! She was a bugger to catch too! Laughing Aw I miss keeping mice. I feel guilty at the moment because I can't remember all the ones i've had or all their names. I had some really fancy colours too that are hard to breed and fetch a lot. I think the mouse before I got the last pair was a really rare coat colour but I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT SHE WAS AND ITS REALLY BOTHERING ME!
Only kept male mice twice, they used to mark their territory and made the cage bars all gross and sticky. Straight Face

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Wed Feb 29 2012, 14:04

Remembered now-she was an ivory satin. Very fancy mouse to get from a bloke in run down bird shop. She was called Marilyn! I remember. Aw she was lovely.
The only thing was when one of the other mice died, before I could remove the body (not long after i hasten to add I was looking for a suitable box to bury her in) she ate her head. Really put me off mice for a while after that! sick Laughing

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down