Andy N
dave g
samprettypawsboutique
Kathy
janey
stella
10 posters

Go down

Just had to post this....Baker dog food Empty Just had to post this....Baker dog food

Post by Guest Sun Feb 12 2012, 18:56

Many Many dog owners still feed this food, it's quite surprising at how many still do.

Below is some info that is widely available on the web, please have a read and make your own judgement.

The law has recently changed and animal foodstuff manufacturers can no longer list 'permitted colours/additives' on products sold in quantities greater than 10 kilos.

I tell anybody that will listen about the additives in food like Bakers. If a dog comes to stay here with skin problems, hyperactivity, snotty eyes, gunky ears, you can almost guarantee that they are being fed additives. I do my best to persuade change, but I'm pretty sure I'm the "mad dog food lady" round here

Well, Bakers and the like can no longer say "permitted X Y Z", they now have to TELL us the crap they put in their food and, at last, I can now show it to the people who doubted it.

At the end of the day, dogs don't give two hoots if their food is bone shaped, heart shaped or brightly coloured; this is done as a marketing ploy for the buyers. As a responsible pet owner and rescue worker, I am not happy to feed dogs in my care THIRTEEN E numbers:

E320 - has been found to be tumour-producing when fed to rats. In human studies it has been linked with urticaria, angioedema and asthma

E321 - banned for use in food in Japan, Romania, Sweden, and Australia. The US has barred it from being ...used in infant foods. So bad McDonalds have voluntarily eliminated it from their products.

E310 - Banned from children's foods in the US because it is thought to cause the blood disorder methemoglobinemia

E172 - Banned in Germany

E132 - Can cause skin sensitivity, a rash similar to nettle rash, itching, nausea, high blood pressure and breathing problems. One of the colours that the Hyperactive Children's Support Group recommends be eliminated from the diet of children. Banned in Norway.

E102 - TARTRAZINE - A trial on 76 children diagnosed as hyperactive, showed that tartrazine provoked abnormal behaviour patterns in 79% of them

E110 - Sunset Yellow has been found to damage kidneys and adrenals when fed to laboratory rats. It has also been found to be carcinogenic when fed to animals

E104 - One of the colours that the Hyperactive Children's Support Group recommends be eliminated from the diet of children. Banned in Australia, Japan, Norway and the United States.

E171 - Banned in Germany

E153 - Banned as a food additive in the United States of America. Suspected as a carcinogenic agent.

Glossary to dog food ingredients - http://www.dogsandco.info/glossary-food.php

Back to top Go down

Just had to post this....Baker dog food Empty Re: Just had to post this....Baker dog food

Post by stella Sun Feb 12 2012, 19:21

omg so glad i dont feed sasha on it!it's disgusting what they could get away with just because its being given to our dogs angry
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Just had to post this....Baker dog food Empty Re: Just had to post this....Baker dog food

Post by janey Sun Feb 12 2012, 19:22

I think the majority of supermarket brands are the same. Its a shame they get such a boost and reputation from advertising.

Thats why I will always reccomend ordering off the net. Far greater choice.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Feb 12 2012, 19:49

OMG had no idea what total cr*p was put into some brands of dog food.

Thanks so much for sharing
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 12 2012, 22:18

I've always known it's cr*p & now it's been proved!

Back to top Go down

Post by samprettypawsboutique Sun Feb 12 2012, 23:57

I moved Murphy straight off it yesterday when he came home its vile stuff makes them hyper and ill.
I always equate it to feeding you child skittles every meal , sure they are going to wolf it down but they will be hyper their teeth will fall out and they will get ill and fat!
Poor show any vile stuff about royal canin? I know about animal welfare side I am a vegan and totally against animal testing but it was the only decent dog food i could buy at short notice.
Jake loves applaws but it is rather costly even wholesale Sad
samprettypawsboutique
samprettypawsboutique
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jake, Murphy
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 1

http://www.prettypawspetboutique.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Tue Feb 14 2012, 18:01

Stay way clear of bakers...
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy N Tue Feb 14 2012, 22:30

Fish for Dogs and Arden Grange for my girl mixed with a raw diet she is thriving

Andy N
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by cruickyn Thu Feb 16 2012, 22:37

Thanks for this, I had no idea and have used Bakers occasionally with my previous dog when I ran out of IAMs.
Any one any info on Royal Canin, which is what I'm feeding Ellie on currently?

cruickyn

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by thepack Thu Feb 16 2012, 23:36

Ive always know and told people it is crap but no one listens.

I posted this on a group on FB recently and one person said: 'More E numbers in a packet of crisps.... never had a dog die young whilst feeding bakers... we eat crap we shouldnt..... im not changing what i feed my dogs ever'

How closed minded

thepack
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17 2012, 10:42

cruickyn wrote:Thanks for this, I had no idea and have used Bakers occasionally with my previous dog when I ran out of IAMs.
Any one any info on Royal Canin, which is what I'm feeding Ellie on currently?
Royal canin is a good food but in my experience you can get the same quality for a lot cheaper price.... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swift1 Sun Apr 15 2012, 08:57

I stopped feeding Bakers to my Staffy because it made her look bloated, which i figured couldn't be right. Have switched to Yarrah and she loves it, hope that brand is OK.

Swift1

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jasmine
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnbelfast Tue Apr 24 2012, 10:42

Im glad that i read this ive been feeding my 3 month old staffy bakers complete puppy food until about a week ago when i made the change to wainwrights puppy 0-1 years old he seems to enjoy it, is wainwrights a reliable brand or should i be feeding him somthing better?
Johnbelfast
Johnbelfast
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bud, ammo
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months and 4 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24 2012, 10:45

wainwrights is deff a step in the right direction if bud likes it go with it thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnbelfast Tue Apr 24 2012, 10:56

good to know thanks mate^:]^
Johnbelfast
Johnbelfast

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bud, ammo
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months and 4 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24 2012, 10:58

not dropping no names but wainwrights is made by a top manufacture john Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25 2012, 19:27

bigwazza wrote:not dropping no names but wainwrights is made by a top manufacture john Wink

Tilly has been on Wainwrights from the year dot and she is in fine fettle, I like it because she does and beceuse it's good for her and it's widely available. Man can ask no more Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down