show dog stance

5 posters

Go down

show dog stance Empty show dog stance

Post by Taryn Mon Jan 23 2012, 15:06

I know we are all from different backgrounds here and that vereyone does different things with their dogs, but to any who are involved in the show ring, i wouldnt mind a bit of advice.
Romeo is only a baby, barely 4 months, but my breeder has advised me to start training him early. what kind of things should i be worrying about. i have been trying to get him used to being touched all over, and i mean... ALL OVER. i have trouble getting him to show you his teeth, but he is teething so i understand that. but what are good ways to get him to stand and walk on?
Taryn
Taryn
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

show dog stance Empty Re: show dog stance

Post by janey Mon Jan 23 2012, 19:17

I wouldn't a clue as have only rescued. Gem and Caryll could help as they have both shown, as I am sure others have, maybe FAO this topic Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Mon Jan 23 2012, 20:05

I don't know if its the same in your country but most people that plan to show their dogs go to ringcraft classes. This teaches the dog to 'stack' (the term for show stance) and walk nicely and general ring manners.
I'm sure your breed club would know about one near you.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Mon Jan 23 2012, 23:39

I went to a few shows to see Romeo's father Scarface Saturday Boy who is a stunning dog and great in the ring. I never got to see his mother in the ring as she was all ready with pup when i found her breeder, but she is sweet as candy she is.
We dont have this show craft where i am from, which is aq pity. i am a member of the stafford club, but the close down over winter cause well... its like -20 and there is no shows to beheld and such. When i brought Romeo i signed a contract that he would enter 3 shows at least and i would decide what i would do after that. I'm lucky cause my breeder holds lots of kennel days and everyone comes and see's everyones dogs and such, very pleasnt.
Romeo, his is a baby after all still, has the strangest trot i have ever seen, but like i mentioned...baby.
I think i will really have to work on getting him to stand up, since he has this habbit to just sit down as soon as he isnt in motion, or see's food, but luckily he has a beautiful exspression and stares pretty intensely at food if you show it to him, he's food obsessed. I'm kind of really looking forwards to the spring when he has his first showing. it will be intresting because he has two brothers that will most likely be in the same ring as him, and they all look so different yet the same. I have been told he has a great chest and good angelation, but so far not very strong in the head, but his jaw isnt weak so thats ok, he's just rather narrow faced compared to his brothers.
But to me he is the most beautiful, after all he is my sunshine.
i do worry because he has developed this soild lump on the back of his neck. its loose and seems to be just hanging out in his skin and fat layer... but, i'll need to get my breeder to have a look before i take him to the vets, but do they fault things like that? i dont know, it seems kind of harmless as it doesnt bother him and he doesnt care if you touch it.
I would love to watch his father Elmo this year in the ring, they are taking him to england to do crufts and some other shows, but Romeo is such a baby i dont like leaving him alone for long times and i would never take him across europe for no good reason at this age.
thanks for the advise Gem. i'll have to post to everyone how he goes and see if he really dos take after his dad Big Grin
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24 2012, 11:19

Can't really add to what gem has already said.

I wouldn't put too much pressure on him just yet. Just a few minutes every day. When he was very young I used to stand Bandit with me kneeling beside him, and I put my hand gently under his belly so he didn't sit down. Don't make him stand still for more than a minute, and try to get all your friends/relatives to run their hands over him while he stands still.

With his teeth, just carefully pull his lips back from the teeth at the front & then each side a couple of times a day. Years ago the judge would lift the dog's lips, but nowadays you do it & the judge just looks - much better way.

If you're going to crufts, I'll see you there!

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Tue Jan 24 2012, 17:52

no, i dont get to go to crufts sadly, but romeo's daddy will be in the staffy ring Big Grin
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24 2012, 21:58

I'll try to take some pics when I'm there!

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Tue Jan 24 2012, 22:39

that would be amazing!
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24 2012, 22:43

I think gem said that her boy will be there too, so I'll have to be on my toes & get some good pics! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Wed Jan 25 2012, 17:11

that would be so cool. i'd love to go to the uk with romeo one day, but we gotta set our selves up here first Big Grin Kirsi Susi is romeo's fathers owner.
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Wed Jan 25 2012, 20:05

Caryll wrote:I think gem said that her boy will be there too, so I'll have to be on my toes & get some good pics! Big Grin

gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Tillcarr Thu Apr 18 2013, 19:34

Hi , what area are you from please ? there are ring craft training in some areas .. Joining a breed club is always a good idea and maybe attending a few shows to see how the dogs are stacked etc.. Dont be frightened to ask advice at shows people are always happy to help and have a chat .. We run a handling class especially for training staffords for showing at Northern Counties Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club , in Ackworth nr Pontefract . If you google Northern Counties SBTC all the details are on there ..
Tillcarr
Tillcarr
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down