Whining

2 posters

Go down

Whining Empty Whining

Post by BLove Mon Nov 22 2010, 16:01

Hello Guys,

I need your help. I have a wonderful fawn and white Staffy (Razor). He's is now 7 1/2 weeks old and now in my home. The little pup is full of love, but at night he whines all night. This morning i woke up to him throwing up everywhere for nearly an hour straight. He also seems to be afraid of his cage as well as everything us by the he shakes and shivers. ANY SUGGESTIONS?????? Is the normal. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
BLove
BLove
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Whining Empty Re: Whining

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 16:15

how long has the shaking been going on for? if it's the time as him being sick it sounds like his antibodies are fighting something. and if he is under the weather he may feel very vulnerable hence the shaking and if the problem started in his cage he may asociate the cage with the way he is feeling.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 16:21

He's still very young and most probably very scared and lonely! Nightime can be a scarey time for little pups. Re the crate thing if it were me i would make sure its really snuggley and warm with lots of toys and water i would leave a small light on and maybe the tv on quietly for background noise. Pups dont like crates to start with but they soon learn 2 love them! I would take him for a check up at the vets for the sick thing an hour is a long time for a little one to throw up for he may be dehydrated?

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Nov 22 2010, 16:21

BLove wrote:Hello Guys,

I need your help. I have a wonderful fawn and white Staffy (Razor). He's is now 7 1/2 weeks old and now in my home. The little pup is full of love, but at night he whines all night. This morning i woke up to him throwing up everywhere for nearly an hour straight. He also seems to be afraid of his cage as well as everything us by the he shakes and shivers. ANY SUGGESTIONS?????? Is the normal. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

if he been throwing up for a hour stright i would take him to the vets

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BLove Mon Nov 22 2010, 16:31

We got Razor this past Saturday 11/20. He's been shaking every since we got him. At first he loved his crate. He would walk inside lay down and sleep. This morning however you would have thought he saw a ghost. I let him out the crate and he immediately started to vomit. When ever he went to his cage he would run out and begin to vomit again. I then scrub the cage just in case it was some scent he didn't like but that didn't work. I then took the cage apart and he would lay on one side but i don't know how long this will last.

@blaze666 so should i run to him everytime he whines? Should i put cage back together and leave water inside? Any potty training tips???
BLove
BLove

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Nov 22 2010, 16:34

if he being sick alot you have to take him to the vet something is wrong, he gone away from his litter family so everything is new with him he maybe abit scared so you just have to give him plenty of love

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BLove Mon Nov 22 2010, 16:53

@Steve I will. The breeder told us that she noramlly give shots @6 weeks, 8.5-9 weeks, and 12 weeks. And until second shots we're not allow to take him outside. Do you recommend that? Also, can you chime in on the other questions above. Thanks.
BLove
BLove

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Nov 22 2010, 16:58

i think it depends where you are from in the uk we gave our pups first one at 8weeks then the 2rd one at 10weeks then wait for another 2 weeks then they can go out

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 17:04

Hello Blove. Welcome to the forum. Sorry you're having a rough time with the new pup. As everyone has said, he needs to see a vet for the vomiting. Re the shaking, that can be normal with a pup that's just been taken away from mum and litter mates and he hasnt got a clue what's going on at the moment. Re the crate, make it a nice place for him to be. Put soft bedding, his toys and something extra yummy (chicken, hot dog) in there for him so he learns to associate it with good things. The whining is completely normal. He's missing the warmth and company of his litter mates and it will take him a while to realise that this is his life now. Dont run to him whenever he whines, that'll make him do it all the more, just let him know yr still around. You just need to give him lots of love, be patient, praise him enthusiastically when he does something good and dont lose yr temper with him. It'll take time, but he'll get there, they all do in the end.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 19:26

Hi & Whining Welcome

Welcome to the staffodshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Whining Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Whining Icon_arrow Here are a list of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Whining Icon_arrow You can ask for help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Whining Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Whining Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 19:35

i think maybe razor is frightened and as shontelle said missing his siblings, i had a dog like this years ago who was whining the same way and shaking after we got him home, what i done was i put a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel in his bed each night, to act as a surrogate mother, i also put in a ticking alarm clock to simulate the heart beat of the dam and litter mates. remember little razor is used to the warmth and security of his mother and siblings, so adjusting to sleeping alone will take time.

Back to top Go down

Post by BLove Mon Nov 22 2010, 19:45

Guys I just got home because I could bare the thought of my little razor sick. When I arrived home he was normal and full of energy. Bouncing off the walls. I wonder what the deal was this morning.

Thanks for the advice Shane.
BLove
BLove

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 19:53

BLove wrote:Guys I just got home because I could bare the thought of my little razor sick. When I arrived home he was normal and full of energy. Bouncing off the walls. I wonder what the deal was this morning.

Thanks for the advice Shane.

yeah hes just missing his mam and brothers and sisters, maybe he ate something that made him sick this morning

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 19:55

probably just frightened been left on his own in the crate over night may have something to do with him been sick also, he may have been a bit frantic in the crate this would make him vomit as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 21:06

Hiya glad he is better now! I would defo put the crate back together and make it as inviting as poss and do what i said about the tv and stuff. I always leave water for mine when in the crate but u dont have to overnight if u dont want. If the crate is big enough while he is still so young i would put some paper down in one corner just incase he has an accident (only untill u think he's starting to "get" toliet training though). Re the crying hopefully a small light and tv noise and lots of toys will help him and he wont cry as much, i would try to leave him as much as possible as if u keep coming down he will learn that thats how he gets ur attention and gets you to come down and u dont want that lol. Obviously if it gets to bad as he is little u might wanna check him.
Re toilet training my best advice is dont use paper or pads and take him straight outside. Every 30mins grab a treat and take him outside you must wait there till he performs then say the word u want him to recognise i say " go wee wee's" say it whilst hes going in a happy voice then when he's finished lots of parise and a high value treat ie. cheese, hot dog....
Dont get me wrong its very time consuming to start with i can remember standing outside for 40 mins waiting for kaos to go but it does work and teaches them straight away to go outside rather than messing around with pads indoors etc...
Also a crate trained pup usually gets the hang of toliet training much quicker as they HATE messing their beds so will hold it as long as poss which obv teached them bladder control. Remember to look for the signs of when she needs to go as well as that helps, kaos used to sniff the floor in like a certain way that i got to no ment he needed a wee also he sniffed in cirlces.
Hope this helps sorry for the essay!
x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 21:33

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

What a start you've had with your pup! It's really worrying when they're sick at that age, but often it's something really silly. To be honest, if your pup's ok in itself & not weak or without energy I'd leave well alone. He may have made himself sick with the crying & being frightened. If you do what Blaze666 says he should start to settle very quickly.

The crate will eventually become his own personal space - a place he will feel safe & comfortable in. Encourage him to go in it with treats & leave the door open during the day (unless you're out when you should shut him in so he doesn't chew anything he sjouldn't!) so that he can come & go when he wants. If he goes in there, leave him alone so he knows it's a retreat for him.

During the night he will probably whine for a few days when you go to bed, but this will stop as he gets used to his new routine. I always used to get up during the night to let mine out for a pee, normally around 4am (ungodly hour!) & then go back to bed. Once he's older & can control his bladder more you can leave him in there overnight & he shouldn't be a problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by BLove Tue Nov 23 2010, 13:22

Thanks for the advice ladys and gents. Last night went extremely well. I took he to the Vet and had him checked for Parvo thank goodness it came back negative. I also had him dewormed just in case. When we got home later that evening he slept a lot. The Vet said he was a little dehydrated so we switch up his diet for dinner mixing his puppy chow with boiled rice and chicken. He went to work lol.

At night he didn't do to bad I wrapped a warmed bottle in his cage and got him a night light. I woke and around 2a.m but wouldn't look at him or let him out the cage until he stop whining and repeated this around 4a.m.

As far as the training pads we do use those becuase we were told not to let him outside until his second shots. It seems as if when we look or watch him he pees and poops anywhere but in the morning when were not looking he goes on the pads.

Right now he's in his biting phase. ANY SUGGESTIONS???? Also, are there any suggestion on how to make him sit before charging at food as well as potty training????
BLove
BLove

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 13:33

You should be okay letting him in the garden but its up to you i let mine in the garden. If u catch him not going on the pads then a firm NO and put him straight onto the pad but if u dont catch him in the act then not tell him off as he wont no what hes done. When kaos was in the biting stage i found that the best deterant was a really high pitched loud screetch/yelp did the trick and then turn your back and completely ignore no eye contact or anything. Staffords hate to be isolated or ignored so any unwanted behavoir from my dogs means they will be put away from us in another room.
If your asking how to train him to sit then what i did was get a bit of cheese and let him nibble it but dont let him have it then raise the cheese right above his head then move it slowly backwards eventually he WILL sit and as soon as he does say SIT and praise him and give him the treat. Kaos learnt this in about half hour. Before u put his food down tell him to sit and start 2 put his food down everytime he runs to the bowl pick it back up and say AH AH put him back where he should be and sit again and stay. He'll get it pretty quickly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 13:35

Wow, you're going through it all at once, aren't you?

The biting. Whenever he bites, say a low, deep and firm "Noooo!" and turn away from him completely. Ignore him. He won't like being ignored (staffies are very sociable dogs) and will soon get the idea that when he bites he gets no attention, and he'll stop. But you must be patient & consistent. If he still won't stop & is thoroughly over-excited, this is where a crate is a godsend! Tell him "No!" as usual, and then without another word calmly pick him up & put him in his crate till he's calm. Then you can let him out (mine always went to sleep for a while! Usually the really uncontrollable play is because they are over tired & don't know when to stop!).

Sitting for food. You'll need to teach him to sit anyway, but make him sit & just hold him still with one hand, telling him sit all the time, while you put his food down. Then tell him "wait", wait a couple of seconds - no more - and let him go, saying "ok" or whatever you want your release word to be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 13:40

Caryll wrote:Wow, you're going through it all at once, aren't you?

The biting. Whenever he bites, say a low, deep and firm "Noooo!" and turn away from him completely. Ignore him. He won't like being ignored (staffies are very sociable dogs) and will soon get the idea that when he bites he gets no attention, and he'll stop. But you must be patient & consistent. If he still won't stop & is thoroughly over-excited, this is where a crate is a godsend! Tell him "No!" as usual, and then without another word calmly pick him up & put him in his crate till he's calm. Then you can let him out (mine always went to sleep for a while! Usually the really uncontrollable play is because they are over tired & don't know when to stop!).

Sitting for food. You'll need to teach him to sit anyway, but make him sit & just hold him still with one hand, telling him sit all the time, while you put his food down. Then tell him "wait", wait a couple of seconds - no more - and let him go, saying "ok" or whatever you want your release word to be.

Can i just add that as he is still not to keen on his crate it may be a good idea to shut him in another room etc as u dont want him thinking of his crate as a punishment especially as its not his favourite place as it is lol x

Back to top Go down

Post by BLove Tue Nov 23 2010, 13:49

You guys are awesome. I will give you my updates later tonight lol.

If any other questions arise I hope you guys are here to help me Big Grin .
BLove
BLove

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 14:01

BLove wrote:You guys are awesome. I will give you my updates later tonight lol.

If any other questions arise I hope you guys are here to help me Big Grin .

no problem if you any questions just ask away thats what we're here for Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 14:11

blaze666 wrote:Can i just add that as he is still not to keen on his crate it may be a good idea to shut him in another room etc as u dont want him thinking of his crate as a punishment especially as its not his favourite place as it is lol x

Good point, Shane - I forgot he's still not quite used to the crate yet!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 14:35

Caryll wrote:
blaze666 wrote:Can i just add that as he is still not to keen on his crate it may be a good idea to shut him in another room etc as u dont want him thinking of his crate as a punishment especially as its not his favourite place as it is lol x

Good point, Shane - I forgot he's still not quite used to the crate yet!

caryll me thinks your selective sight is working overtime again it was blaze that made the point lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 14:40

caryll me thinks your selective sight is working overtime again it was blaze that made the point lol

Laughing selective sight is working overtime with caryll Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 14:41

Aaaagggghhhhh!!! It's Tuesday, my central heating isn't working, my reading glasses need replacing & I've been waiting in all day for a mattress to be delivered!

And now I can't read a simple name, either! ~angry

Sorry Blaze!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 14:44

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor are you saying blazes name is simple caryll rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 14:46

That's right, go on, kick me when I'm down!

Careful, or I'll throw a hissy fit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 14:47

yeah!!!! ARE U SAYING MY NAME IS SIMPLE CARYLL?!?!?!?!?!?
HAHA Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 14:48

Caryll wrote:That's right, go on, kick me when I'm down!

Careful, or I'll throw a hissy fit!

ah just pulling your leg caryll Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 14:52

me thinks someone gettin a bit ratty coz they need a new mattress and there cold and there bumping into things coz there blind as a bat caryll it might be best if you get dempsey to do your posts for you lol Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 14:53

haha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 14:54

bigwazza wrote:me thinks someone gettin a bit ratty coz they need a new mattress and there cold and there bumping into things coz there blind as a bat caryll it might be best if you get dempsey to do your posts for you lol Big Grin

Ha! He's asleep in his crate, all warm & snuggly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 14:55

ye there not daft are they

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 14:57

blaze666 wrote:yeah!!!! ARE U SAYING MY NAME IS SIMPLE CARYLL?!?!?!?!?!?
HAHA Laughing

Nooooooo! it wasnt me

It wasn't ME, it was Shane! (I'm telling on you, Shane, you got me into trouble!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 15:41

Right thats it shane!! Me and u are gonna fall out Mr! Tongues Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 20:45

blaze666 wrote:Right thats it shane!! Me and u are gonna fall out Mr! Tongues Laughing

Laughing i always get the blame Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 20:45

((Hehehehehe!))

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down