holiday trip with my pup

5 posters

Go down

holiday trip with my pup Empty holiday trip with my pup

Post by fernando Mon Jan 02 2012, 20:36

hi all

I have a five month old staffy pup. this summer i was looking to go over to portugal for two week holiday
at my parents house. can any one tell me if these dogs are allowed there any recomendations on airlines,
im basicaly looking for any info that will help me.. i dnt even know where to start looking.
any and all help will be appreciated

many thanks
fernando and kobi

fernando
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

holiday trip with my pup Empty Re: holiday trip with my pup

Post by janey Mon Jan 02 2012, 20:41

Where are you traveling from? I think all countries are very different.

Best bet is to speak to your vets Xx

Last edited by janey on Mon Jan 02 2012, 20:42; edited 1 time in total
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 02 2012, 20:42

your vet would know where to look for travel arrangements and things you need to know. but i do know that you will need a passport for the dog and that he cannot travel within 6 months of getting it because of all the immunisations and things it would need. they will need rabies etc and then a blood test in a few months to check if the immunisation is working. before being allowed back into britain the dog has to be taken to a vet for a wormer at least 24 hours before traveling back and that the vet has to sign to say it has been given. its alot of messing about and alot of expense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Allison Mon Jan 02 2012, 20:42

Your vet should be able to help you and with a pet passport too x

this might help although not sure where abouts your are

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/
Allison
Allison
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
holiday trip with my pup Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Duke and Dhaysi
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 02 2012, 21:55

_julie_ wrote:your vet would know where to look for travel arrangements and things you need to know. but i do know that you will need a passport for the dog and that he cannot travel within 6 months of getting it because of all the immunisations and things it would need. they will need rabies etc and then a blood test in a few months to check if the immunisation is working. before being allowed back into britain the dog has to be taken to a vet for a wormer at least 24 hours before traveling back and that the vet has to sign to say it has been given. its alot of messing about and alot of expense.

All changed in January for EU countries , only 3 weeks and Rabies Injection now Julie + pet passport from Defra Vet. Wanted to take Tilly to France maybe next year but looks like it won't be possible as one of her parents wasn't KC registered so we can't prove she isn't a staffy x and it would seem they aren't welcome Sad( Don't like the French anyway

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon Jan 02 2012, 21:59

Yes its difficult pet travel but not impossible wouldnt know were to start to be honest sorry Sad
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 02 2012, 22:01

thanks dthese web sites need to be updated quicker then i was only checking it out just before christmas and then i found out that lemmy wouldnt be welcome in france then we got lottie anyway so i wouldnt take 2 dogs abroad. wouldnt mind that would ahve been a nice trip with my caravan. i will stay in britain

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Mon Jan 02 2012, 22:31

davemck3834 wrote: France maybe next year but looks like it won't be possible as one of her parents wasn't KC registered so we can't prove she isn't a staffy x and it would seem they aren't welcome Sad( Don't like the French anyway

Hmm well that might scupper my plans to convert my van into a mini camper and drive with Ledger down to northern Spain a couple of times a year
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 02 2012, 23:08

jshrew wrote:
Hmm well that might scupper my plans to convert my van into a mini camper and drive with Ledger down to northern Spain a couple of times a year

Ledger doesn't look like he's got any x in him from your Avatar pic but don't completely discount it as this is only what I've found out so far. Other people have said if the papers say if you have say a boxer / staffy x then get them to write as Boxer X and then this should be ok. I am only assuming that the defra vet will ask for KC papers to confirm pedigree, and that possibly these papers may have to be carried also, not looked into it fully yet. Seems the worst case scenario if they don't like the look of the dog they ask you to leave the country early , they will not take the dog off you . We just had it as a thought as we aren't keen on th idea of Tilly going into kennels for us to get a couple of weeks sun so this was possibly an option. But think this year she will have to go in for the summer hols anyway so we will see from there. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by fernando Wed Jan 04 2012, 17:01

Many thanks to all, i actualy thawt that no one had replied coz i had nothing in my email lol then wen i logged on i seen all this lol so many thanks.. ive read most of the things i could find on defra and on the irish website as well... but i still feel like there something missing maybe just me.. wot i do know is that it seems to be a bit easier now with the new scheme.. wot i didnt understand was the part about kc registering and going to france.. and i dnt knw where to find out if portugal accept the dogs.. he is going to the vet 14 jan il ask questions then
thanks to all

fernando

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down