Aggressive puppy

3 posters

Go down

Crying Aggressive puppy

Post by DeijaBaby Sun Dec 04 2011, 22:53

Please help. I have a 6 week old female staffy and she is so aggressive. I don't know how to handle this. My last puppy was a Rotty and she was not like this. When I try to make her stop biting my feet I tell her no, and she keeps it up, so I say no again sterner and push her away she will growl and try to bite me in anger? What do I do??? This happens when I try to make her stop chewing on the furniture and just general things she should not do. I don't know how to discipline her for this behavior.
DeijaBaby
DeijaBaby
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : DeijaBlu
Dog(s) Ages : 10/28/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: Aggressive puppy

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 22:59

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Well, for a start, she's probably too young to have been taken away from her mother & siblings, but it's too late to do anything about that now.

I doubt very much if she's being aggressive, it's just play. You need to give a firm "No!" and then turn away. Totally ignore her until she's calm. Then you can give quiet praise. Do you have a crate for her?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 22:59

I feel your pain ! Monty is 14 weeks old, I think I had him at 8 weeks. He was a right little biter, more for the ankles more than anything ! Any where and everywhere anyone would walk, he would be at the ankles. As much as we tried to reinforce the 'NO' command, it never really worked. Even put him in his cage every time he did it. Nothing would work. The only thing I could come up with was a rolled up news paper and a tap on the nose. This actually worked, he doesn't do it anymore. He is still a bit of a nippy puppy ... he likes to play ALL THE TIME. So when you're sitting down and you invite him up to smooth him, he doesn't like it. He wants to bite. Unless of course, he's proper tired and he is smooching down getting comfy, he will allow us to stroke his coat. I guess with a puppy temperament they are going to playful to an OTT extent. I'm not sure, I'm starting as a new owner myself. We are very lucky that he isn't remotely interested in chewing our furniture of any kind. we have toys for him, so when he bites, we let him know what's his and what he should bite / chew, and for the majority of the time, that has worked.

Last edited by Maria. on Sun Dec 04 2011, 23:02; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Dec 04 2011, 23:01

Hiya and welcome.

She is 6 weeks old and doesn't even no aggresion yet. She is a puppy, and very young one too. TBH honest she should be with her mum and litter mates still, thats where they learn basics from right and wrong.

You are now the teacher, and have to train the pup.

Do a lot of research and there are plenty of people here who can advise.

You have a baby, and you need to to not only train her but to teach her.

janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 23:16

She is a baby and explores the world with her mouth. She is bound to chew and just wants attention. When she nips turn away and ignore her. She will learn that if she nips she doesn't get attention and will stop. Everyone in the house has to do the same thing every time.

For the furniture pet stores sell sprays like bitter apple that work well.

Back to top Go down

Post by DeijaBaby Sun Dec 04 2011, 23:29

Thank you for all of the wonderful advice, its is so appreciated Big Grin .
DeijaBaby
DeijaBaby

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : DeijaBlu
Dog(s) Ages : 10/28/2011
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 23:31

Let us know how you get on!

It may take a few days for her to start to take notice, but as long as you're patient & calm, she'll soon pick it up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 23:35

I forgot to say hi and welcome from us and Suki.

Patience is the key. They are fairly quick learners and want nothing more than to make you happy Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05 2011, 08:27

hello and welcome

wave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05 2011, 09:03

Hi, Vinnie is now 4 months old and he was sooo fascinated with feet!! but we have told everyone in the house to stand with arms folded and ignore him til he stops, when he does then he gets a stroke and fuss. I have found that constant taking his attention from the limbs!! and replacing with his toy works very well but it is very much persistence. saying that we still have the typical mad staffy half hour Big Grin but its usually just before he needs a Poo!!! thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05 2011, 10:25

Hi and welcome from me, Millie and Bella Smile
I can't add any more to whats been said. I got Bella at 6 weeks as well and she is now 16 weeks. She has been nicknamed the tiny terror because of how she was Laughing One of her favourites was to jump and bite at the back of your leg. The involuntary ouch (puppy teeth in the calf is very painful) a stern no, ignoring, then praise when she stopped has worked with her. It does take a lot of persistance, and feels a bit like a competition for who can be more stubborn sometimes but you get there eventually Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sookies Mum Tue Dec 06 2011, 00:07

I must have a lucky one as Sookie isn't a biter.... skull
She did go through a small spurt where she nibbled but i gave her something else to focus on like a small soft bear.
I must admit thou, my lounge room looks like a play pen for 2 year old.... i dont know
Sookies Mum
Sookies Mum

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sookie
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content