billysgirl
Kathy
Steve
Gizmo
12 posters

Go down

New owner of rescued staffy puppy :D Empty New owner of rescued staffy puppy :D

Post by Gizmo Sat Nov 26 2011, 17:01

So couple weeks ago me and the fiance heard of a litter of staffy puppys that had been rescued from a woman who had only been feeding the males mashed potatos because she did not plan on keeping them angry and feeding the females dog food because she planned on breeding them. The police took all of the puppies. When we first saw them they looked like little chiuauas with balloons in there stomachs Sad. When we brought our other dog the next week to meet him we fell in love with him and decided we where going to be his forever home. He has almost tripled in size since a month ago. He is the biggest goof ball and he is the best christmas present I have gotten Big Grin. Before we got him I was and have been reserching like crazy online about staffy's and loving everything I am reading. I have already noticed his loyalty just in the one week we have had him. We fostered him first because he has demodex mange and kennel cough and we where not able to adopt due to him not getting a cirtificate of vet health. Then this last WEDI got a call saying he is ready to adopt and i didn't wast any time!! But i DO have some questions for you guys that I hope you can help with because the vet and people at the shelter where not 100% sure about some of them. So here goes:

1. Gizmo is roughly 4-5 months of age and weighs 14 lbs and is about 13" high at shoulders. Because he was very male nourished for the first couple months of his life is this a healthy weight and height for a staffy of that age? the vet says he is healthy as is and everything looks good. But I was wondering if his hard begining has stunted his growth or if he is getting back on track and if we rescued him in time.

2. One of the people at the shelter said he will stop growing around 6 months of age or so but everything I have been reading says that staffys grow in height for the first year and then get beefy up to year 2. So which is it?

3. Is there any way to figure out if he is a pure bred staffordshire bull terrier? One lady at the shelter has a couple pitbulls and staffys and said he is a pure bred staffy (she also went with the police to get the puppies and saw the mom and said she was a pure bred that was a petite 50 lbs.) he is a bluish grey with brindling around his paws, nose, and a white patch from his chest to shoulders and back that goes to a point on his head almost connecting to his nose.

I would post pics but cant figure out how to post them on this forum?? I will get pics up when I figure it out lol. Thanks in advance for any help!! Big Grin
Gizmo
Gizmo
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo (Staffy) / Sugar (dachshund/Border collie/lab)
Dog Gender(s) : Gizmo-male Sugar-Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New owner of rescued staffy puppy :D Empty Re: New owner of rescued staffy puppy :D

Post by Steve Sat Nov 26 2011, 17:34

Hi & New owner of rescued staffy puppy :D Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

New owner of rescued staffy puppy :D Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
New owner of rescued staffy puppy :D Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
New owner of rescued staffy puppy :D Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
New owner of rescued staffy puppy :D Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
New owner of rescued staffy puppy :D Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
New owner of rescued staffy puppy :D Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

New owner of rescued staffy puppy :D Empty Re: New owner of rescued staffy puppy :D

Post by Guest Sat Nov 26 2011, 18:47

Hello and welcome looking forward to seeing lots and lots of pics
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Nov 26 2011, 19:26

Hi and welcome from Rocky and me. Someone will be along to answer your questions I am sure.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by billysgirl Sat Nov 26 2011, 20:48

Hiya and welcome to the forum wave

billysgirl

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 26 2011, 21:00

Hi and welcome from us and Suki.

1. I wouldn't think that there is anypermanent harm. They are a very resiliant breed and Gizmo should have no long lasting effects no that he is being cared for properly.

2. You are correct

3. Without AKC paperwork there is no way to tell for sure.

To post pics open a free photobucket account and copy and paster the URL code onto here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27 2011, 00:35

Well done on the rescue.

Looking forward to many more pics

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Nov 27 2011, 01:14

Hello wave
1 His genetic make up will determin how he will develop and what his characteristics will be and as the vet has given a clean bill of health then I wouldnt worry
2What you have read is about right although the rapid growth is probably before the 6 month age and they still grow but at a slower pace up to a year then fill out up to 2 years they do differ though.
3Without the family history it would be hard to tell how the dog will mature but you will love him regardless im sure Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27 2011, 03:04

Welcome aboard! Thank you for rescuing!

1. Saxon was 25 lbs (I don't know how tall he was) when I got him at 5 months old, but they all develop differently. At a year and a month he is 15" tall and 38 lbs.

2. The second is correct, they grow in height until a year and then grow in weight/muscle until 2 or 3.

3. There is no way to tell for sure, as there are no accurate tests. You just have to go by their looks/size/temperament. You say that the mother was "pure bred that was a petite 50 lbs." A full grown Staffordshire Bull Terrier female should only be 14-16in and 24-35lbs. Here is the breed standard: http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/kennelclubbreedstandard.html Are you sure she was an SBT and not an American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff)? The AmStaff is a bit larger than the SBT. Here is the AmStaff standard: http://www.akc.org/breeds/american_staffordshire_terrier/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Sun Nov 27 2011, 07:51

Hello and welcome aboard Smile
Dan
Dan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Jack - Max
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years - 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male - Male
Support total : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by appollo13102000 Sun Nov 27 2011, 09:22

Big Grin welcome
appollo13102000
appollo13102000

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : ruby/ nigel
Dog(s) Ages : 9 and 7ish
Dog Gender(s) : female/male
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Nov 27 2011, 09:30

Hi from me and Moo Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Stace.and.Billy Sun Nov 27 2011, 11:12

welcome to the forum hope you have a good time, we have just got a rescued staff too, nice to see people helping the misunderstood
Stace.and.Billy
Stace.and.Billy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Taz(R.I.P), Stanley, Colt
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27 2011, 13:53

wave welcome from me and my girls

Well done on the rescue of Gizmo - great name too Big Grin
Looking forward to seeing lots of pics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gizmo Sun Nov 27 2011, 16:57

Thanks for all the welcome's and for the info. Im really liking the site and finding alot of info on it. looks like he is going to be just fine then Big Grin. Couple other questions i do have is that

1. His nose has been mostly dry and warm since we have had him. It is not cracked or bleedind or scabing up. So from what i have found out is that it is nothing to really worry about right?? our other dog always has a cold wet nose??

2. how much should he eat at that age? he isn't eating as much as i think he should eat. only about a cup or 1 1/2 cups a day? and i have to mix in caned wet food with the dry food for him to eat it??
Gizmo
Gizmo

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo (Staffy) / Sugar (dachshund/Border collie/lab)
Dog Gender(s) : Gizmo-male Sugar-Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jacqui1970 Mon Nov 28 2011, 18:42

Hi Gizmo and welcome.
Like you I have 2 rescued Staffords ... my eldest Bruce was very small when we had him. We thought he was about 8wks old cus he was so tiny but the vet told us he had some adult teeth so was about 6mths old!!!
He was very timid and had obviously had a few beatings but after alot of tlc and a lot of love we totally turned his life around. As you can see from his picture he is a gorgeous dog and has a fantastic temperant.
He also has a sister who has now been rehomed with my friend's mom and also she is fantastic .. she is even bigger than Bruce lol.
It may take some time and hard work but believe me it will be worth it. I would recommend Staffys to anyone .. they are fabulous dogs.
All the best from Jac, Bruce and Reg xx
jacqui1970
jacqui1970

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruce and Reggie
Dog Gender(s) : Both male

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Mon Nov 28 2011, 21:14

Hello and welcome from Zac and me Smile

Irene

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zac
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsxg Tue Nov 29 2011, 15:26

Hiya and welcome from Lola & I Smile
Puppy is ADORABLE! Love Struck inlove
mrsxg
mrsxg

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 6yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://[url=http://pitapata.com][img]http://pdgf.pitapata.com/re

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29 2011, 16:13

hi and welcome..well done on giving the precious boy a loving forever home... he is one of the lucky ones!

looking forward to lots of photos of Gizmo !! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down