[ 41 ]
To Desex or not? Pbucket25%To Desex or not? Pbucket 25% 
[ 19 ]
To Desex or not? Pbucket21%To Desex or not? Pbucket 21% 
[ 16 ]

Total Votes : 76

To Desex or not? Empty To Desex or not?

Post by Steve Tue Nov 09 2010, 11:50

Tongues i know everyone as strong opinions on this subject, i just want to see the poll results i dont want a big debate about it Tongues

Last edited by Steve on Fri Jul 08 2011, 16:03; edited 1 time in total

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

To Desex or not? Empty Re: To Desex or not?

Post by Guest Tue Nov 09 2010, 12:20

Oh dear, my pet topic!

I think you all probably know my views by now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 09 2010, 15:53

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Nov 09 2010, 15:56

I tink we all know quite a few peoples views! Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 09 2010, 15:58

im undersided i will be makin my desision in the comin months

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 09 2010, 17:19

i like a good debate Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 09 2010, 21:08

STEVE!!!! Back to my airaid shelter.....I'll be back out once the bullets stop flying I dont want to s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 09 2010, 21:32

I think if we're not planning to breed or show our dogs, then we should castrate/spay them. But I'm still undecided as to the right age to do it .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 09 2010, 21:51

Here we go again! Whilst I think the decision for neutering is a personal one, the age it's done is important. Unless it's a matter of medical necessity then I think the dog/bitch should be allowed to mature first & thereby gain mature confidence and gender character. With staffords that would be around 18 months - 2 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Nov 10 2010, 00:05

I have never had a problem with neutering b4 the first season, my first was, and she was chilled, but my second was neutered after her first season, she was older when I got her, and she became a lot calmer! But its up to you, it depends on the dog and the enviroment.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 10 2010, 00:14

Shontelle wrote:I think if we're not planning to breed or show our dogs, then we should castrate/spay them. But I'm still undecided as to the right age to do it .
you can have your dog neutered and bitch spayed and still show them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 10 2010, 07:16

shane wrote:
Shontelle wrote:I think if we're not planning to breed or show our dogs, then we should castrate/spay them. But I'm still undecided as to the right age to do it .
you can have your dog neutered and bitch spayed and still show them
I thought dogs had to have their danglies to be shown? Oh, wait a minute, I think I remember reading something on here about 'fake testicles' for the purposes of showing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Nov 10 2010, 08:30

i got all my female spade when they adults 2 or 3 year old Smile Tongues

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 10 2010, 10:06

shane wrote:you can have your dog neutered and bitch spayed and still show them

Not under kennel club regulations you can't. You can only show them at Companion dog shows - the fun shows for charities etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 10 2010, 10:12

How would they know?
If he had artifical stones lol and the hair has grown back....how would you be able to tell
Females you have no chance of telling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 10 2010, 10:17

BlueStaffBlue wrote:How would they know?
If he had artifical stones lol and the hair has grown back....how would you be able to tell
Females you have no chance of telling

But what's the point? You'd have to pay a fortune to have fake ones put on, and there's no guarantee they'd take. The whole point of showing is to show others how good your breeding is, and to encourage people to buy pups from your bitch or use your dog at stud!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 10 2010, 10:19

Didn't see it that way.
I was always under the impression people did it to show off their dog/bitch (as in look how gorgeous my dog/bitch is) but not so they can canvas the next generation.
Cheers for the insight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 10 2010, 10:29

Well, yes, they do, but that isn't actually the 'point' of showing. Also, if you don't have 2 apparently normal testicles you don't know whether the dog has a hereditary problem, ie born with only 1 or none!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 20:20

Caryll wrote:Here we go again! Whilst I think the decision for neutering is a personal one, the age it's done is important. Unless it's a matter of medical necessity then I think the dog/bitch should be allowed to mature first & thereby gain mature confidence and gender character. With staffords that would be around 18 months - 2 years.
I would of said this is untrue at first, but now I would say your right. Only saying this because we got bubbles done at 6 months and he's small for a male. People think he's female. We now no If we waited till he was a year old or older he would of bin a lot bigger. His balls at a 6 month old was very big for him. Well that's what the vet said when we got him done.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat Nov 13 2010, 20:47

Bubbles-mum wrote:
Caryll wrote:Here we go again! Whilst I think the decision for neutering is a personal one, the age it's done is important. Unless it's a matter of medical necessity then I think the dog/bitch should be allowed to mature first & thereby gain mature confidence and gender character. With staffords that would be around 18 months - 2 years.
I would of said this is untrue at first, but now I would say your right. Only saying this because we got bubbles done at 6 months and he's small for a male. People think he's female. We now no If we waited till he was a year old or older he would of bin a lot bigger. His balls at a 6 month old was very big for him. Well that's what the vet said when we got him done.
I dont think the conformation of your dog would have been any different if you had him castrated early or later. having him neutered would not have made him smaller.
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 21:18

He's not smaller how tall he is, just not big in round out wards way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 21:55

Yea i see what ur saying but that hasnt got anything to do with castration x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 22:06

I thought it did. Well he's just small boy. He's 16kg. But I do take him on long walks and runs with me when I ride my bike and he also swims a lot.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat Nov 13 2010, 22:11

blaze666 wrote:Yea i see what ur saying but that hasnt got anything to do with castration x
I agree with blaze his genes determin what he will look like when matured if anything he may put on weight when castrated . Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat Nov 13 2010, 22:15

Forgot to add he looks in great shape from your pic he has a defined waist
and too much excess weight is not good. Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 22:29

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 22:48

gem wrote:
blaze666 wrote:Yea i see what ur saying but that hasnt got anything to do with castration x
I agree with blaze his genes determin what he will look like when matured if anything he may put on weight when castrated . Smile

your dead right gem its all in the genes, how a dog will turn out.

Back to top Go down

To Desex or not? Empty Desex?

Post by Amy_10 Thu Dec 16 2010, 15:25

I don't think you can refer to neutering as desexing a dog, they will always have their sex.

I think evey dog should be neutered, male and female. There are too many unwanted and abandoned animals in the UK and too many irresponsible owners. All breeders should be fully licenced too, to reduce the number of people in it to make a quick quid of whatever breed is popular at the time. Neutering at the right age has no adverse effects and in some cases removes the likelihood of certain cancers.

I'm sorry I do take a strong line on neutering as I work with so many unwanted dogs and those who are really badly bred. As you guess both my babies are done.
Amy_10
Amy_10
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Emily & Winston
Dog Gender(s) : F & M
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 18 2010, 12:10

[quote="Amy_10"]I don't think you can refer to neutering as desexing a dog, they will always have their sex.

desexing is just another technical word that vets use for neutering and spaying

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 18 2010, 19:45

Didn't want a big fuss ... Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 19 2010, 14:40

Everyone here mentioned neutered because there is too many dogs without homes but its not the dogs who need to get chopped its their owners. The only main reason i agree to neutered is the major health benifits whether my dog is insured or not the thought of them being in pain from somethng i could of prevented. prostate problems, uterine or ovarian cancer and also breast cancer.
infection of the uterus (pyometra) which can be life threatening.mammary, ovarian and uterine tumors and as you know my problem with Cassie and Blondy.

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Mon Dec 20 2010, 21:20

Everyone has there own opinion on this i havent had kaiser done and dont plan on and actually in the last month two female staffys who have been in season when out on walks have offered it to him on a plate and he hasnt been interested which is unusual i know if he started causing problems i might consider it then
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20 2010, 21:30

youngkaiser wrote:Everyone has there own opinion on this i havent had kaiser done and dont plan on and actually in the last month two female staffys who have been in season when out on walks have offered it to him on a plate and he hasnt been interested which is unusual i know if he started causing problems i might consider it then

maybe kaiser didn't fancy them, believe it or not, some dogs just dont fancy other females, and some males dont fancy other females,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20 2010, 21:33

True. Bandit was never really over-fussed about females other than as playmates. He certainly never wanted to mate with them!

Dempsey, on the other hand.................

Back to top Go down

Post by tia'smummy Wed Dec 22 2010, 11:39

i'm debating the very same thing for my pup, but my neighbours english bull terrier was spayed and is now incontinent and i really can't be dealing with something like that.
tia'smummy
tia'smummy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tia & Wolfie
Dog Gender(s) : Tia female, Wolfie male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 22 2010, 11:43

It has to be said that not every neutered dog becomes incontinent. It can be a problem, but not always.

I'm one of those people who think that a dog should not be neutered until they have reached maturity, but there are others here who don't agree! lol!

Neutering can be an emotive subject & there are always pro's & con's. You just need to read up on it as much as poss & then make your own decision. There are many sites online that give information, but try to make sure you read a balanced selection that give the full pro's & con's.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 22 2010, 11:53

Caryll wrote:It has to be said that not every neutered dog becomes incontinent. It can be a problem, but not always.

I'm one of those people who think that a dog should not be neutered until they have reached maturity, but there are others here who don't agree! lol!

Neutering can be an emotive subject & there are always pro's & con's. You just need to read up on it as much as poss & then make your own decision. There are many sites online that give information, but try to make sure you read a balanced selection that give the full pro's & con's.

Yea completley agree u could ask everyone on here but u will find that everyone is completley split anyway lol! The best thing is defo just to research yourself as much as poss, talk to your vet etc and try to make an informed choice! To honest as long as there is no imeadiate pregnacy risk ie) u have a entire male or an entire male comes to your house reguarly then as long as u can keep her safe during her seasons then there is no rush anyway!
x

Back to top Go down

Post by Bezial Sun Jan 23 2011, 03:23

Yup, our desexed big boy is the gentlest peace lover that you could ever meet and has no dog aggression at all. I agree about the 'size' thing, thank goodness we got Bezial neutered when we did if he could have gotten much bigger! I personally think that 35kg is just about enough for anyone! (especially when hes sitting on my lap in the front seat of the car tap dancing on my knees!).

We could have waited a bit to get Qi done though as we thought that she was on heat but she was only just over 6 months old, it was another bitch that was exciting Bezial at the time (he is a year older than Qi) and so he got done at the same time as her. No regrets though, they are both the best dogs in the world (for us!) and we got them chipped as well. Thats compulsory now and a good idea.

Bezial
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by markeB Mon Jan 31 2011, 01:16

Ive heard that its best to let them mature B4 neutering ,and that neutering before 1st season can sometimes be a bad thing in itself.was pressured by vet at time of my girls inoculations to have her done as a puppy ,but didn't,shes had 2 seasons and due another shorty[must remember to get some of those knickers this time any good adys for them ?] .so if i do get them done it will be at 2 years
markeB
markeB
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Ellie and Leo
Dog Gender(s) : Ellie bitch leo dog
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 31 2011, 03:22

Jethro was desexed at 6 months because there are so many unwanted dogs put to sleep over here in Australia every week, as there just aren't enough homes for them all. And they aren't just mongrels either, alot of pure bred dogs are killed. It is so sad. I never ever wanted my dog responsible for bringing more puppies into an already over crowded canine world. Another advantage is that when he does a widdle ( which he does on command!! ) he normally squats, so he isn't spraying his legs all over things. My personal view is that desexed males look nice and neat. It has never bothered him I am sure. What you don't have.. you don't miss!

haha.. I know you didn't want a debate about it.. sorry!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 31 2011, 12:49

vanessa wrote:Jethro was desexed at 6 months because there are so many unwanted dogs put to sleep over here in Australia every week, as there just aren't enough homes for them all. And they aren't just mongrels either, alot of pure bred dogs are killed. It is so sad. I never ever wanted my dog responsible for bringing more puppies into an already over crowded canine world. Another advantage is that when he does a widdle ( which he does on command!! ) he normally squats, so he isn't spraying his legs all over things. My personal view is that desexed males look nice and neat. It has never bothered him I am sure. What you don't have.. you don't miss!

haha.. I know you didn't want a debate about it.. sorry!!!

Russell howards *good news reckons* they do miss them thats why they chase balls lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 31 2011, 14:11

now that's funny!!!!! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by niff Wed Feb 02 2011, 19:15

i dont russel howard is funny

frankie boyle ,,,, now thats a funny guy
niff
niff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Shady & Dakota
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02 2011, 19:22

niff wrote:i dont russel howard is funny

frankie boyle ,,,, now thats a funny guy

frankie boyle reminds me of my brother stupid kinda funny you laugh at him not with him lmao

Back to top Go down

Post by niff Wed Feb 02 2011, 19:23

his new dvd is the funniest material ive seen for an age
niff
niff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Shady & Dakota
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by ILovePrince Sat Feb 05 2011, 04:23

Last edited by ILovePrince on Sun May 29 2022, 20:33; edited 1 time in total

ILovePrince

Status Status :

Other / Decline to state
Dogs Name(s) : POP
Dog Gender(s) : BOO

Back to top Go down

Post by ILovePrince Sat Feb 05 2011, 04:29

ILovePrince

Status Status :

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by ILovePrince Sat Feb 05 2011, 04:29

ILovePrince

Status Status :

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 05 2011, 15:08

.....you are a special person to work with unwanted dogs..... I would be too busy crying !!! good on you !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharleen&Tank Tue Apr 12 2011, 22:40

If your not going to breed i would say spayed. I am getting my boy spayed soon, he will not be too happy but has to be done in my books! Smile Dont want to contribute to the overcrowding in dog populations Smile
Sharleen&Tank
Sharleen&Tank

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tank
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: