How long is it fair to leave dog waiting in car?

5 posters

Go down

How long is it fair to leave dog waiting in car? Empty How long is it fair to leave dog waiting in car?

Post by Lizzie Fri Oct 14 2011, 00:10

A couple of months ago I posted about how I was trying to get Harry used to travelling in the car. Pleased to say that the situation has totally changed and he now wants to come with me at all times and makes me feel quite guilty when I have to leave him behind as his little face drops with disappointment. Sad Tonight I took him with me to the supermarket rather than leave him at home and he was quite happy to lay on the back seat while I did the shopping. This took about 45 minutes. Would be interested to know what everyone thinks is a reasonable time to leave a dog in a car (obviously never in hot weather).

Lizzie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

How long is it fair to leave dog waiting in car? Empty Re: How long is it fair to leave dog waiting in car?

Post by Ben Fri Oct 14 2011, 00:15

I personally have not done it for longer than 10-15 min as I don't know what might happen to my car if I took too long... If he is good in the car, I wouldn't be so worried. It is just that my car is brand new and I don't want scratches or teeth marks especially if he were to see a cat or dog outside! I think that if Harry is calm and comfortable (and there aren't laws forbidding leaving animals in the car), it really depends on the dog. Sounds like he did well for that long so you might just try extending it a little at a time until you find out what is the limits.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

How long is it fair to leave dog waiting in car? Empty Re: How long is it fair to leave dog waiting in car?

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 00:33

i wouldnt go in a supermarket and leave him in the car partly because you dont know what would happen but i can replace my car if that went missing but if my dog was in it i'd be gutted

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Fri Oct 14 2011, 00:39

_julie_ wrote:i wouldnt go in a supermarket and leave him in the car partly because you dont know what would happen but i can replace my car if that went missing but if my dog was in it i'd be gutted

Excellent point. Where I live, there isn't really much crime (small town syndrome), so I didn't think of that. I would rather have my car stolen or anything else rather than my dog or kids.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 01:04

I'd rather not leave him in the car for more than 20 minutes, less if possible. but Russ just curls up and has a nap. but if its a hot sunny day, wouldn't leave him in the car at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 03:03

I would'nt leave my dog ( or any dog ) alone in the car at all.............maybe just if I stop at the petrol station to duck in and pay for fuel, but definitely not for ANY length of time.

I s'pose we all have different opinions

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 05:51

I wouldn't leave Suki alone in a car either unless she was in my sight such as taking cash out of an ATM.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 08:29

i would be worried the dog would get stolen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 11:00

I wouldn't leave Dempsey in the car, either. I'm not criticizing you, far from it! I think if your dog's ok in a car & it's in a low crime area & it isn't a warm day, then you should be ok.

BUT, if I left Dempsey in the car for more than a couple of minutes there wouldn't be a car left to come back to!

My big worry apart from damage would be heat - even on relatively mild days, the inside of a car (even with windows wound down a little) can get extrutiatingly hot & could kill the dog in minutes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 11:03

[quote="Caryll"] BUT, if I left Dempsey in the car for more than a couple of minutes there wouldn't be a car left to come back to!

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 11:29

Ive seen some real horror stories of dogs being left in cars in 35C heat for more than a day. I doubt they even lasted a few hours, but werent found for days
Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Fri Oct 14 2011, 17:38

Thanks for the replies. Harry was fine with it he just slept on his duvet which I put on the back seat and it was 7.30 at night and dark so nobody would have realised he was there. Mind you I went round the Supermarket as fast as I possibly could and I bought him some cocktail sausages as a little reward Smile

Although I must admit it did worry me and I was on edge, would probably prefer to leave him at home in future!

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by i love leah and lois Fri Oct 14 2011, 18:08

The thing what would worry me is somebody stealing him like the other post have said.My little milly doesnt like going in the car because she always visits the vet when she goes in the car.When we took her in for spaying last saturday she climbed out of the car twice my oh had to chase her around to get her back in :lol:Harry was a good boy laying down being good for 45 mins in the car he definetly deserved the sausages.I buy for for my dogs as a treat
i love leah and lois
i love leah and lois

Status Status :

Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by linzy Fri Oct 14 2011, 18:29

I wouldn't leave Violet in the car, because my nerves wouldn't handle it! I'd be worrying about her getting stolen or finding some mad way of escaping/removing the handbrake/finding some way of hot-wiring the car and driving off with next doors sheepdog (you never know with Violet)... I dont want to s
linzy
linzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Violet
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15 2011, 03:56

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15 2011, 12:34

linzy wrote:I wouldn't leave Violet in the car, because my nerves wouldn't handle it! I'd be worrying about her getting stolen or finding some mad way of escaping/removing the handbrake/finding some way of hot-wiring the car and driving off with next doors sheepdog (you never know with Violet)... I dont want to s

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

I actually had to leave Kita in the car when I quickly popped into the deli or servo to grab a drink or duck in to the loo at the petrol station when I drove from FNQ back to Adelaide. She was almost 3yrs and it was over 2000kms, she would always stand with her front feet on the dash watching where I'd gone and when I came out I couldn't see her and I'd nearly have a heart attack on the spot till I realised she was just laying down in the "passenger seat" angel
Would I do the same with Izzy..... not in a million years, she's just too much of a >Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by 8903jared Sat Oct 15 2011, 23:42

I dont know how it is where you guys are but in Australia, especially during summer its looked down upon... same as with leaving children in the car. Cars can heat up inside in no time, and during my work i get called to so many of these incidents and end up breaking a car window to get the dog who is nearly dying inside...

So unless its just to pay for petrol i dont leave my dog in the car
8903jared
8903jared
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down